Charlotte Autofair- and 6 SLCs?

Real excited to come down this weekend to meet everyone and see the cars, its been several years in the making for me. Think its amazing that there will be upwards of 7 cars attending! Very cool! And i'm sure it will be awesome inspiration for me.
I had planned on coming on sunday, but it sounds like some of you will not still be there? Should i switch my plans to sat if i want to be able to see all the cars and meet everyone?

Real excited to come down this weekend to meet everyone and see the cars, its been several years in the making for me. Think its amazing that there will be upwards of 7 cars attending! Very cool! And i'm sure it will be awesome inspiration for me.
I had planned on coming on sunday, but it sounds like some of you will not still be there? Should i switch my plans to sat if i want to be able to see all the cars and meet everyone?

Yes. Many people leave around noonish on Sunday.

Last edited:
Looks like the weather will be great for the show- highs from the 70s to low 80s, and no rain in the forecast.

My car is packed and ready to travel!

Since Will won't text and drive, he asked me to post this for him - Ryan Ellis will be at the show to meet and sign autographs.

Look like this will be a great time, sorry to miss it.

Send pictures or it never happened!

And by the way Ricardo - when did Detroit ever become "central"? Not since the French owned the middle part of what is now our 50 states I imagine! :shrug:
Now Denver, that is a bit closer to the middle.

Last edited:
IMG_20140404_110355_305.jpg

IMG_20140404_110516_273.jpg

IMG_20140404_110432_957.jpg

IMG_20140404_110516_273.jpg

IMG_20140404_110432_957.jpg

I had the great fortune to meet a couple of people that I've wanted to meet for some time, as well as re-connect with a couple that I've known for a little while.

Will Campbell, it was great to meet you and finally put a face to the name. I really enjoyed talking to you yesterday regarding the build process of your car as well as your prep to get ready for the interior work of your car. I know that you're chomping at the bit to get it done, just as I am.

I was also able to meet Fran and spend some time discussing the SLC with him. I learned something very important, and that was that no matter how much time you spend on the forums, learning all that you can, there are aspects of the car that you can only get from the designer & builder. Safety. Plain and simple.

I think that Fran's explanation of the safety aspects of the SLC is something that has definitely not been something that comes to mind 9in the forum posts) until now. It seems that all that most people want to talk about is how to build mega engines that make 1000+ horsepower. And that's fine, but there is the realistic piece that should be address more often.

There is a lot of great engineering that has been designed into the SLC. But rarely do we hear about all the safety benefits in the forum posts. It was nice to be reminded that speed isn't the only thing that was thought of when these cars were penned.

I met up with Bill Philips (Rumbles), and was able to re-connect with him. I'm glad to have been able to catch up with him. But I also appreciate the time he spent showing me around his SLC. So many custom designs that made perfect sense. He actually has space for an overnight bag! Very nice!

Of course this was accomplished by moving the radiator to the side pods in the rear. I'm very interested to see how this works out for him.

Bill was generous enough to open his car up and let my wife try it on for size... We'll as it turns out, that one gesture probably opened the door the rest of the way for me to make a solid choice as to my next build... As it turns out, she realized that she really likes the car after sitting in it; and being able to see out clearly was the game changer for her... I think the other side of the coin was that seeing the car in person, is much different than simply seeing it in pictures.

Thanks Bill !!!

Last, but certainly not least... Ralph Martin (former GTM owner), was there. I don't know why, but I was not expecting to see him there next to a pretty much completed SLC. I actually mistook him for Will. (Again, I'm sorry... :) )

Wow... He has put together a really nice car as well. The quality that is achievable with these cars is very impressive. Especially when you have such quality minded people in the mix.

I'm really glad that we were able to go to the Show.

But for now, I am going to continue to concentrate on getting my GTM to completion, and make it as nice as I can. I'm really looking forward to getting it on the road, and putting some miles on it. It's a great car as well, and I'm proud of what I've been able to accomplish with it.

Last edited:
Sue & I just got back from Charlotte. We saw our first, second, third,...SL-C & LeMans!! Thanks to H, Will, Ralph, Fran for their patience and answers. I am sure I will generate more questions as this goes forward. Thanks to all and thanks for the posted pics, better than those I took!
Mike

I have been impressed with Fran's work and the sl-c from a far for quite some time, but seeing several cars in person, getting to talk to Fran and Ryan just blows my mind that much more as to the quality of these cars and the thought that goes into them. I could not be more impressed of the work that you guys are doing at RCR!
I don't know what i was thinking, i didn't get to talk to too many of you guys, but Fran, thank you for taking time out of your day and sharing your vision for the cars with me. I can't say that was required for me to be sold.. but i'm just all that much more confident that this is THE CAR for me. Thank you very much
Ryan - It was great to meet you too! And thanks for sharing your perspective on the cars as well. Hopefully we'll be able to catch up for some hooning since you're so close to where i'm at here! Maybe i can even snag a driving lesson or 2 from a talented professional like yourself
And Dave - it was good to meet you as well, i'm blown away by the caliber of people that are attracted to this car and team. I wish we had gotten to talk more, i'm sure i would have learned alot!

If you haven't seen the cars in person, they are just that much better than pictures. Show stoppers with purpose. So much more than a super car.. these are prototype race cars we can drive on the street.. if that is not the coolest thing in the world, i don't know what is!

Great job Fran and thanks for making it possible for us to live out all of our fast and furious dreams with you crazy and amazing machines

Brad

We had a great time at AutoFair. There was a technicolor array of 6 SLCs on display (listed from left to right):
  • Ralph & Glenn Martin: Red
  • Rumbles: Yellow
  • Fran: Green race car
  • H: White LeMans
  • Will: Blue
  • Sharky: Maroon
Here are some PICs

Attachments

• IMG_4107.jpg
    IMG_4107.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_4109.jpg