Coyote 5.0 in SL-C

Nice. Get rid of those pesky pushroddy/rockerery thingies.

Rotary Power:
commercial_leaf_blower.jpg

/s

You mean the things that let it operate for 300,000+miles without a rebuild? What would we replace it with? Magic voodoo apex rotor seals? :huh:

No he means those cool things that decrease the number of moving parts and allow Honda engines to cruise passed 200,000+ miles without breaking a sweat, producing power more efficiently and allowing you to rev the nuts off the engine. :lipsrsealed:

Let's hope Ford put more engineering into the Coyote than Getrag did into the tranny behind it.

Variants of Fords over head cam modular V-8 have been around since the early 90's performing 300,000 in taxi fleets so i suspect the engineering is up to snuff. I had heard the trans was manufactured in China I wonder if there is a QC issue more than a design issue

Variants of Fords over head cam modular V-8 have been around since the early 90's performing 300,000 in taxi fleets so i suspect the engineering is up to snuff. I had heard the trans was manufactured in China I wonder if there is a QC issue more than a design issue

Don't know for sure. The NHTSA has a case open on it now to investigate the issue. I've read there were problems with it previously in Land Rovers. Looks like Ford just made a poor choice when it came to the tranny.

Feds launch Mustang transmission probe after Jalopnik, forum stories

Steve

Supporter
The ford modular v8 is a highly developed engine with phenomenal potential. The Koenigsegg CCR set the speed record using it, surpassing the McLaren F1. The Ford GT uses a 5.4L variant that can be twin-turbo'd to the tune of 1200hp with no change to the bottom end.

It sounds phenomenal, much sexier than the LS.

While the LS is a great engine, it relies a lot on cubic inches. I'm not knocking it, it is reliable and has been very successful.

The coyote is 430lb, definitely not a boat anchor. The original 4.6L aluminum block (96-99 mustang cobra) was made by Teksid. They make blocks for Ferrari. The bottom end is good for more than 1000hp with better pistons and rods. That's with 4.6L! The coyote has even better potential with variable valve timing and better breathing heads.

Reliability? Wouldn't be critical of that. These engines have proven extremely reliable in road racing and drag racing. They've been around the block and are pretty well tested.

Basically, you can get equivalent power with fewer cubic inches

Dave:

The good thing is that you are a true believer. Prove us all wrong, build a kick a$$ machine, and I'm sure that most will cheer you on.

x2... I am a hardcore LS guy, but time and progress march on. If something is better or interesting in it's own way, it definitely captures my attention.

Coyote: I am interested and watching very closely.

Rotary: It hurts my eyes to watch..must...turn...away. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

All busting aside, I hope you make us eat our words and your rotary is everything you plan it to be. Seriously. :thumbsup:

Its quite big lump compared to the SBFand the LS engines.

We aahve mocked one up in an RCR40 with a ZF box ..only issues is header clearance around the suspension...no room for the S/C though.

How much more vertical clearance would be required to allow a S/C? If it's not that much, one would consider a custom, "bubbled" rear glass. If a S/C Coyote was the route he wanted to go.

Supposedly it was designed with turbocharging and direct injection in mind for the future.

2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Coyote Engine - 5.0 Mustang & Fast Fords

It would not use EcoBoost- Ford's combination of direct fuel injection and turbocharging-but it would be engineered to withstand forced induction and to package EcoBoost fuel injectors in the future.
Also, it's speculated that the extra recess on the head is for direct injection.

donotbuy2011Mustang.jpg

Last edited:
For those asking about the relationship between the new 5.0 Coyote and the old 4.6/5.4 mod motor, the only thing they have in common is the crank bearings and journal sizes. The coyote is also using aluminum bearings, which i don't like, but i guess they work well enough.

I think some of the main improvements between the old mod motor and the new 5.0 is that the block is a lot stronger and a better design. They wont need an iron block when a supercharged cobra comes out. The new engine is supposed to be smaller and lighter than the old mod motor as well. I don't think the heads are as wide...

Back