Dimi's Build DRB #68

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi All

Stu
No not me, not registered yet but not far off.

Maily
Motor brand new from Ford was 12500 for complete turnkey motor.
(via a sympathetic contact friend)

Dalton
Yes I used the same stainless mesh for the nostrils as was used in all the other openings as I didn't like the look of the fan and the rad pipes and also to keep leaves and junk out of there.

I thought about buttons for the door edges but decided the stainless trims gave the door edges a more finished and professional look and will also be a more long term solution

Dimi

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
Dimi,

Great build thread and timely as you have given me a lot of ideas that I am having incorporated in my build(gas struts,exhaust set up and I particularly like the wear strips).

Keep up the good work.

Good one, Dimi. I've never seen another 40 with mesh over the radiator discharges. In fact, while it is still essentially a racing car (and always will be), I like the practical additions you are making. The gas struts on the clips, the protective mesh inserts, the door rub strips, etc. are making this a really usable road car. Not everyone (presumably) keeps their car under a dustcover in the garage for an occasional outing only on bright sunny days. This is exactly the sort of raod car I like. If you ever get tired of it, please send me a PM.

Dalton

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi all
The big day has finally come and DRB#68 is finally finished and fully functional.

Tomorrow morning I will be going for a pink slip and then to the RTA for a temporary 30 day permit to allow me to drive for the weighing and the road testing by my engineer and the final rego.

Yee Ha.

My first road drive.

I have included photos of the finished car.
The only thing I need to fit is the filler caps and the screws for the front hatch which will be done shortly.

Dimi

Attachments

• Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,203
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,190
  • Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,211
  • Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,220
  • Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,194
  • Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,198
  • Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,269
  • Picture 039.jpg
    Picture 039.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,201
  • Picture 040.jpg
    Picture 040.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,313
  • Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,273
  • Picture 042.jpg
    Picture 042.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,241
  • Picture 043.jpg
    Picture 043.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,225
  • Picture 044.jpg
    Picture 044.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,302

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations Dimi, the car looks fantastic and is a credit to you. Good luck with the final exam... Then pop the bubbly.

Dimi I have loved reading your build thread - plenty of great pictures, but also plenty of clever and original ideas. The finished product looks great. The interior looks truly awesome, and your car just flat out looks BAD! (in a good way). Good luck with the tests.

Cheers

Jack

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi all

Well I just started negotiating the rego nightmare.

Following their instructions, which every second RTA person denied, I finally had my first inspection passed and managed to get a 28 day temporary rego permit issued to drive DRB#68 to get all the other things like weighing and engineering testing done.

The feeling of driving the 40 on the road for the first time among ordinary motorists was a mixed feeling of exhilaration adrenalin and fear every time someone came close to my car.

For those not yet on the road the first drive in your own 40 is amazing especially after all the anticipation of the day during the building time.

It will be interesting to see how the weights come out given my priority was in comfort and strength not lightness plus having the Boss 260 which is a big motor.
I will post the weights once they are done
Dimi

Dimi,
Congrats on the fine accomplishment. I know you are excited and worried at the same time. I was the first time I drove my Lotus Esprit. Waiting for so long a time to finish the 40 will multiply those feelings due to the energy put into it. Be sure to enjoy it. That feeling won't happen again for a while. Soon you will be driving it like it is a part of you. Congratulations again on a superb build.

Bill

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dimi,

You've done an outstanding job of creating a spectacular GT40. Your car looks like one that could actually be driven and enjoyed on a daily basis without feeling exhausted afterwards. The interior is a beautiful modernization on the theme as well. I hope you post some more high-res pics in the gallery section.

Well done!

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jack

Yes I have only left them off for the time being till all the testing and such is complete as I don't want to get them scratched.

I had the car weighed today and it looks like all the comfort extra's and the Boss motor, big exhaust etc have paid a small weight penalty.

The weights are as follows;
Front left 251 Kg
Front right 280 Kg
Rear left 385 Kg
Rear right 388 Kg

Total weight 1304 Kg

Dimi

Demi,

Your car presents itself extremely well. Your level of engineering and craftsmanship are truly magnificent!

I am a true blue original kind of guy from the word go. Your departure from "oh my god" original to your finished product has completely changed my mind about the idea of originality. I truly love the color choice, especially your interior color and how your upholstery is finished. It just looks right!!!!

I hope someone at Ford has an opportunity to see these pictures, or better yet, sees it in person. Your finished product deserves an award in my opinion, and it sure would be nice to have that recognition come from the blue oval guys.

Job well done!!!!

Excellent work Dimi, your 40 is defenetly unique and special.
I remember my first drive in my GT40 and being as scared as hell cosidering allthe hard work put into it and having other drivers taking photos their camara phones instead of driving. After a few times you relax a lot more and enjoy the car for what it is. Good luck with rego, as I've been down that path (ie: IM40 test) PM me and I'll help as much as I can.
Stunning car and hope eerything goes well.

You must be very proud, well done.
The weight ain't to bad considering the extras, power to weight of around 5.01KW:1kg.
The interior looks great, is the steering wheel only for Rego purposes?

Still dying to hear what it sounds like.

Hope the rest of the RTA process goes with hicup

cheers
Stuart

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
Very nice car, great interior and I love the symmetry of the double Gurney bubbles, very unique.

Cheers,

The absolute best looking reproduction I have seen. Beautiful interior, love the flying mirrors, nostril and grill inserts make it look mean, engine compartment is gorgeous the black and shine of polished metal looks like jewelry.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi all
Well after two weeks of testing and weighing and adjusting all the noise tests and engineering stuff for rego has been passed and my engineer is now in the process of writing up the final report for submission to the RTA for final rego approval and the issue of VIN No etc.
During the last two weeks I have managed to put almost 400 Kms on the speedo and it has been great fun.
Well worth the blood,sweat, and tears and money,money,money.

Now its just down to the waiting game for the paper shufflers to do their work.
Dimi

Back