F1 2007

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I had some doubts about Massa, but it is starting to look like the real deal, doesn't it?

I was wondering if Alonso would assert himself a little more - looks like that happened too.

Keith

Great Qualie...

Good old ding dong between Hamilton and Alonso - just like the old days @ McLaren! Good to see them back up there.

Also good to see Webber getting up there, for a moment I though RB was all fizz.

Hope the race is as good. Missed the first part of Q. Did JB and DC go out in Q 1 or 2? What was the reason (excuses)?

DC qualied in 13th but has had to have an engine change (the previous unit lasted 13 laps) so will go to the back of the grid.

Rubens will also start from the back (not too much of a drop for him) as he had to use the spare car for qualifying following a gearbox problem and his engineers didn't have time to switch the engines over. The spare was set up for Button.

Massa fined for speed in the pitlane and Alonso fined twice for 2 speeding offences.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Button has gone on record as describing his Earth liveried car as 'crap'.
He said if he was driving for big Ron or Napoleon he would be in contention for the drivers championship. Previously he also said nobody should be sacked from Honda because of their failure as a F1 team.
They are probably issuing the tantō knives to the team at breakfast time as a precursor to the race tomorrow.
The Honda adverts during the intervals seem to run like clockwork though.
Probably Button might ask for his old car back from Sato on the grid as Sato out qualified Button by one place and they are starting alongside each other.

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hamilton reckons he backed off slightly in Q3 because it was spitting rain.
The first laps should be interesting.

The race starts at 1700 local time Brisbane and F%##&n Channel 10 who have the broadcast rights are not showing it live. Delayed until 2240:mad: :mad:

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Mercedes-McLaren finish 1 - 2 in Malaysia! Lewis Hamilton - 2 F1 starts, 2 F1 podiums! That is amazing! Will he eclipse MS?

MP4-22_1_800.jpg

Brilliant drive again by Hamilton, he does seem naturally gifted, holding his nerve with hot head Massa climbing all over him was excellent, I really think Kimi would have needed at least another lap to get on terms with the youngster, he didnt really phase him earlier in the race when he was behind him.

What up with the Honda, its getting embarrassing now, I bet Button wishes he had switched teams when he had the chance, I really wonder with all the other talent out there whether its too late for him now.

I think Renault are missing Alonso's feedback to dial in the car,

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Hamilton is spectacular.

The way he handled the first turns of his first two races was textbook.

To me, one of the things that describes a great driver is how well he passes - something Damon Hill couldn't do if he was pointed by, for example.

So far, if his two first turn performances are any indication, he will be a great one!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Bild am Sonntag:
Schumacher to take "massive" paycut to stay in the frame at Toyota.
Cuurently earns circa $23m and his team mate Trulli is on about $10m.
Trulli out performs Schumacher consistently and this so called paycut
is to make him more competitive with the Heidfeld situation.

Keith

Damn! A paycut of $13mil? How on earth is he going to live poor fellow? :confused:

Will he have to do some moonlighting? Drive a bus perhaps? Oh, sorry, he already does....

:rolleyes:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
How good do you think Lewis Hamilton will be?

Already on another forum he is being touted as the "next Schumacher".:burnout:

A little premature for that accolade I think, but both his F1 drives have shown he has a cool head and a lot of talent.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
This is probably dumb question of the year, what does the bar code logo on the F1 Ferrari rear wing indicate?(see pic) I assume it is a sponsor's Logo, If so who are they?

Attachments

• r03_large.jpg
    r03_large.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 316
Indeed Pete it's a little early to start handing out accolades (I think Nico Rosberg had similar prospects this time last year). Not that I would object (being a lifelong McLaren supporter anyway :) )

He did the business in GP2 last year against some very spirited opposition and has been under McLaren's wing for the last 10 years, so is full indoctrinated in their approach and mind set.

No doubt about it he is a very gifted driver but lets give him a few more races under his belt before giving out several world championships, McLaren are traditionally very good at in-season car development (we have had to be recently :rolleyes: ) but it will be interesting to see how he deals with pressure from both Ferrari and BMW-Sauber over a longer period

As for the Bar-code - I believe it is still Marlboro. They still sponsor and get benefits from being associated with Ferrari, they just aren't allowed to put logos on the car. It will be interesting to see what happens in Bahrain as during the last test there a couple of months ago the Ferrari crew turned up with Marlboro logos on their uniforms.

Last year at Monza, Renault ran their full "Mild Seven" livery (although banned in Europe) on the Friday and switched back to "Team Spirit" on Sat and Sun.

At the moment there is an alcohol sponsorship ban in Bahrain, Turkey and France and there should be a total ban on tobacco brands appearing worldwide but that remains to be seen with Philip Morris pumping millions in Ferrari still.

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
As for the Bar-code - I believe it is still Marlboro. They still sponsor and get benefits from being associated with Ferrari, they just aren't allowed to put logos on the car. It will be interesting to see what happens in Bahrain as during the last test there a couple of months ago the Ferrari crew turned up with Marlboro logos on their uniforms.

Last year at Monza, Renault ran their full "Mild Seven" livery (although banned in Europe) on the Friday and switched back to "Team Spirit" on Sat and Sun.

At the moment there is an alcohol sponsorship ban in Bahrain, Turkey and France and there should be a total ban on tobacco brands appearing worldwide but that remains to be seen with Philip Morris pumping millions in Ferrari still.

Thanks, it's hard to see what benefit Marlboro would get without any Brand identification. Maybe the bar code spells Marlboro? If so it's a bit subtle for a mere mortal like me.

There was some talk about doing some cigarette packets in Ferrari F1 livery (there were some done as Ferrari Racing a year or so ago). There is no rule about a car appearing on the cigarette packet and the brand association will still be there. Motor racing loophole spotters eh!!! :rolleyes:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
There is a whole lot of 'subliminal' ads in F1, Marlborough being the most overt. All of these major companies probably employ Psyops experts to keep everybody 4 steps behind - tobacco advertising? it's never been easier.

Back