F1 in 2012

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
ok.....the sensible money is on Red Bull and Vettel
McLaren - a team with a tosspot at the helm - they talk the talk though.
Ferrari - receding into the abyss - a bunch of no hopers
The rest - that says it all. The supporting cast.

Pete, I'm with you mate. The cars I've seen so far are certainly not the prettiest I've seen. So far its the Mclaren's by a nose! Did I just say that?

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
F1 these days, you never know. We had Ferrari at the top for so long, but since then it's been a year to year thing. First Renault, then McLaren, then Brawn, then Red Bull. Who knows who is next?

I still think Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso have the most speed, with Weber and Button right behind, and Massa fading. Who knows where Raikkonnen will fit in this year.

I've really enjoyed F1 lately; look forward to this year.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Oh, we just like reading about tosspots, doesn't matter what politics they have, nothing like getting up in the morning and starting the day with the news from the Republic of Tosspotia......beats working, anyway.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
No bets then?
Seems, apart from Pete and Keith, not even one of you has the remotest idea.
Is anybody out there?........

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
No bets then?
Seems, apart from Pete and Keith, not even one of you has the remotest idea.
Is anybody out there?........

Well David, from one tosspot to another.....

I follow GP racing very closely, I have followed it for almost 50 years.

If there is one thing I have learned over those years, it is that looks and early testing really does not tell you much, does it?

David, by the way, Merry Christmas!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Terry,

I'm with you there, Mr Button has won me over.......

Speed has been re-showing the races from last year, and a few days ago, I watched the Canadian GP again. It was even better than I remembered.

Started in light rain, Jensen came in early for intermediates, too early, he went to the back. The rain incresed and the safety car came out, Jenson ducked in for full wets, but went too fast catching up to the pack.

After the restart, he had a drive through penalty, to the back again.........then he hits his team mate, knocking him out, moving up through the field, he catches Alonso, they crash, just after the pits, knocking Alonso out and giving Button a flat. Button then drives slowly all the way around on a flat rear, too the back again......

Then as we all know, he passes everyone one more time, catching Vettle on the last lap and wins! Quite a day.

I wonder if anyone has ever passed more cars in a GP?

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
RBR are keeping a few secrets in reserve until maybe Melbourne or depending on the competition a later race. There are several tweaks they will bring in progressively to maintain their no1 status. Pete, you know how long ago I mentioned Vettel and I'm sure he will get it right again this season so we might as well bet on something else.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
RBR are keeping a few secrets in reserve until maybe Melbourne or depending on the competition a later race. There are several tweaks they will bring in progressively to maintain their no1 status. Pete, you know how long ago I mentioned Vettel and I'm sure he will get it right again this season so we might as well bet on something else.

Since we agree on the likely winner maybe we could bet on who will come second? You can have first dibs.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I'd say
1) Vettel
2) Webber
3) Hamilton (So long as he gets his head together)
4) Alonso (As much as I dislike him)
5) Button (Very quick but does not have the killer overtake instinct)
6) Rosberg
7) Petrov
8) Sutil
9) Massa
10) Shumacher

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
The Bet? I think a lot of fudging was going on in testing and RBR not the only ones to keep some tweaks hidden from view.

Let me see, with Red Bull dominating the sport and everyone else fighting for 2nd, 3rd, etc... this reminds me of Ferrari and Schuey a few years back. Yawn. I guess the real interesting part to watch will be who will be the fight for 2nd.

Speaking of Ferrari, on Saturday I instructed a gentleman in his 458 Italia. Great car and an owner with a learining attitude. Great day.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
It kicks off in Melbourne this weekend. The forecast is for rain then hot winds, then freezing rain from the Antarctic, then mild slightly cloudy weather .
And that's just the first hour.

Here is my qualy prediction:

1 Vettel
2 Webber
3 Button
4 Hami
5 Kimi
6 Alonso
7Schuey
8 Di Resta
9 Grosjean
10 Massa