F1 in 2012

Looking at the F1 website, I see that Virgin is now team Marussia. It is said that Marussia is a Russian car manufacturer. Anyone know about these cars? Do they have the old fabled aluminum brake rotors and the like?

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
That must be my problem with the BMW. Proximity with, and rotor degredation similar to, the "fabled" Russian rotors...who knew.

Come on you Brits !!!!!!!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just can't get excited about any F1 schedule when I know that the bulk of the money ends up in the hands of that pompous egomaniac prick called Bernie Ecclestone. What a total ass. I'm dumbfounded that the teams and manufacturers haven't somehow unseated the guy's stranglehold on the F1 money machine.

The sport could be so much more affordable, and enjoyable, without that twat.

http://www.thejanedough.com/petra-ecclestone-buys-spelling-mansion/

Max Mosley was cut from the same piece of cloth too.

Currently, it's economics and profits that decides all major decisions in F1. Time for a revolution in F1 management and administration....new leadership, new ownership, new economics. The current situation stinks.

Last edited:
So F1 was better during the reign of a certain J Balestre ??
Re arrange into a well known saying:Bath water baby don't throw out with the.

Keith

I just can't get excited about any F1 schedule when I know that the bulk of the money ends up in the hands of that pompous egomaniac prick called Bernie Ecclestone. What a total ass. I'm dumbfounded that the teams and manufacturers haven't somehow unseated the guy's stranglehold on the F1 money machine.

The sport could be so much more affordable, and enjoyable, without that twat.

Petra Ecclestone Buys Spelling Mansion | The Jane Dough

Max Mosley was cut from the same piece of cloth too.

Currently, it's economics and profits that decides all major decisions in F1. Time for a revolution in F1 management and administration....new leadership, new ownership, new economics. The current situation stinks.

Well Mr Beer 2, perhaps you'd be better posting your poison on a more suitable anti F1 site. F1 today is F1 because of Ecclestone's vision, and apart from his propacity to negotiate race deals in the Near and Far East and involving the major car manufacturers I think he has done a darned good job - but he would wouldn't he? Because Bernie owns F1. It's his - he can do what he likes with it.

Isn't it Un American NOT to respect someone who has made billions out of racing little cars around go cart tracks? Not bad for a former mechanic and team owner. (A bit like Ron Dennis)

The teams could change everything but they haven't the guts as it is so well set up and the global audience grows year on year.

You'll get new ownership when he sells. End of.

Mosely was also very underrated and if you were ever around when JMB ran things you'd certainly know the difference - that was a totally corrupt self interest regime with fingers in all sorts of Ferrari/Renault and Michelin pies, and in any event Max was a very successful lawyer (QC) which is more than.... no I ain't going there...

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
+1000.Keith, without the dwarf F 1would not exist. To some people being successful and becoming rich is a crime in itself.

Well done the podium. I won't mention who they were in case some haven't seen the race yet.

Whatever guys. The fact of the matter is that F1 is bigger than any one person, and no one person should control it. It should be a cooperative vision spread across those major constituents who contribute the most to it from the perspective of sport (not profit). The sport would be improved.

And no, making money is not a crime. But when making money becomes the primary purpose in a sport (as it arguably is today in F1 for Bernie) then the sport is secondary and that's just not right. The sport suffers because of it.

And just because you think Bernie is better than those that may have preceded him doesn't make him an appropriate shepherd of the sport, he may just not be as bad. There's better, more qualified, leadership available.

And this is just fine as a forum to discuss such matters. Happy to make it a separate thread if that's appropriate.

Cheers.

Keith

Whatever guys. The fact of the matter is that F1 is bigger than any one person, and no one person should control it. It should be a cooperative vision spread across those major constituents who contribute the most to it from the perspective of sport (not profit). The sport would be improved.

And no, making money is not a crime. But when making money becomes the primary purpose in a sport (as it arguably is today in F1 for Bernie) then the sport is secondary and that's just not right. The sport suffers because of it.

And just because you think Bernie is better than those that may have preceded him doesn't make him an appropriate shepherd of the sport, he may just not be as bad. There's better, more qualified, leadership available.

And this is just fine as a forum to discuss such matters. Happy to make it a separate thread if that's appropriate.

Cheers.

But it's Bernie's circus - he's not a 'shepherd' - he owns Formula 1 - he created it - and it's his product period ceasing to be a sport in the '80's.

If you mean Grand Prix Racing for open wheeled cars then there's nothing stopping anyone from starting such a series. You have one called IRL I believe but you just can't call it Formula 1.

Current F1 is of Bernie's making. Unless Sam Walton had sold his shares or his rights in Walmart for example, no one else could call their store Walmart.

The name "Formula One" cannot continue with anyone else unless he sells it or the rights to it. Who owns Le Mans? The Automobile Club de Ouest (ACO) - same deal although it is a group rather than an individual and one would guess open to more scrutiny.

Formula 1 is a product and a brand owned by Bernie Ecclestone. He is not a custodian,shepherd or a minder and love him or hate him Formula 1 IS Bernie Ecclestone.

But it's Bernie's circus - he's not a 'shepherd' - he owns Formula 1 - he created it - and it's his product period ceasing to be a sport in the '80's.

If you mean Grand Prix Racing for open wheeled cars then there's nothing stopping anyone from starting such a series. You have one called IRL I believe but you just can't call it Formula 1.

Current F1 is of Bernie's making. Unless Sam Walton had sold his shares or his rights in Walmart for example, no one else could call their store Walmart.

The name "Formula One" cannot continue with anyone else unless he sells it or the rights to it. Who owns Le Mans? The Automobile Club de Ouest (ACO) - same deal although it is a group rather than an individual and one would guess open to more scrutiny.

Formula 1 is a product and a brand owned by Bernie Ecclestone. He is not a custodian,shepherd or a minder and love him or hate him Formula 1 IS Bernie Ecclestone.

Keith,

I completely understand what you're saying, and yes, that's certainly a very practical and down-to-earth way to look at it. You're right, Formula 1 is owned and operated by Bernie and that's that.

Stepping back for a second however, there's a longer tradition of Formula 1 racing (much of it in Europe). In other words, a series which is the pinnacle of open wheel racing, attracting the best teams, manufacturers, drivers, engineers, etc....a venue which isn't nascar, which isn't closed wheel racing, which isn't US Indy racing, etc. The continuation and management of that tradition shouldn't be left up to one single individual (particularly when that individual is a little money grubbing bastard).

There's an alternative path here which involves a cooperative effort among those that contribute the most to the sport, in which making the most money is not the deciding factor in major decisions, but rather the improvement of the sport. For almost every other major sport in the world there are consensus-led governing bodies which do a pretty good job of maintaining and improving the sport, as a sport, with the business side of things managed via consensus and in parallel to the sport, not so much at the expense of.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I believe that sport should be sport, not Big Business with a focus on maximizing profits. The latter approach unquestionably tends to diminish the sport, and lessen the potential broad appeal and enjoyment for all.

There was a day back in the 80s when many Formula 1 drivers drove to the track in their vans, slept in their vans, and walked around the paddock to scrounge up a sandwich. The VIP tent was a sun shade and a few mismatched folding plastic chairs. The sport, and the personalities therein, were larger than the money and the facilities, and it felt like a real sport, not a money machine with vulgar displays of wealth at every turn.

I guess I'm just old and obsolete.

Last edited:

Keith

OK,
Honest question: If Bernie is F1 then why does F1 need FIA sanction or any sanction?

It can't be a "World" Championship without sanction from the 'Governing Body of Motorsport' = FIA.

This affects many things, least of all liability insurance.

Tracks will not host "Pirate" events for that simple reason.

Keith

Keith,

I guess I'm just old and obsolete.

In that case, we're all guilty. This was before Bernie took control. Then, it WAS a sport!

Now, it's a product and a very successful business model. Like Microsoft.

(Why is it that those who saw an opportunity, went for it, and made billions, are the most hated men (and women) on the planet? )

Discuss.....

Envy perhaps?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I do not hate Bernie at all, before him, GP racing was very, very dangerous, lots of good men were killed. Additionally unless I went to the races, I never saw them, only read about them.

Now its as safe as possable and each race is shown live.

Simply because I don't usually get things right, and avoiding (at much personal effort), any temptation to argue as to why Bernie can do exactly as he wishes with his business and to hell with anyone who seemingly resents such success, I would like to draw your attention to post #16 and then sit back and revell in your unanimous praise for my enlightened prediction.

;)

Pat

Supporter
Simply because I don't usually get things right, and avoiding (at much personal effort), any temptation to argue as to why Bernie can do exactly as he wishes with his business and to hell with anyone who seemingly resents such success, I would like to draw your attention to post #16 and then sit back and revell in your unanimous praise for my enlightened prediction.

;)

Good call! Mr. Button is delightfully old school and smooth is fast. It is a pleasure watching him drive.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
If I were a betting man, I'd stick a tenner on Button and a fiver on Lewis. I think MClaren could be great next year. I don't think Ferrari will be in a winning position until 2013. Just a gut feeling though. Absolutely no science behind it, (as with most of my posts).

Here it is for those to lazy to look it up. Well done Mark, see you on Iracing soon.:thumbsup:

Speaking of Bernie there is a good read written by Tom Bower called No Angel. A great insight into F1 and Bernie.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/02/23/angel-secret-life-bernie-ecclestone/

Last edited:

Keith

The France family. Perhaps the world's most (in)famous motor racing hegemony.

Bernie's just a babe compared with that particular dynasty (In the United States) and at least he doesn't directly manipulate results...

Ooooooh shock horror! :laugh:

Malcolm

Supporter
Umm sorry guys but Bernie no longer owns F1. He sold out. From Wikipedia......

The Formula One Group is a group of companies responsible for the promotion of the FIA Formula One World Championship and exploitation of the sport's commercial rights.[1] The Group is owned ultimately by Delta Topco, a Jersey–based company owned by CVC Capital Partners' funds (approximately 70%) and JPMorgan (approximately 20%). Bernie Ecclestone's family trust owns the remainder apart from small shares held by financial advisers and Ecclestone himself.[2]

IMHO Bernie is retained to squeeze the sport to help pay off the mortgage so the reason why the costs are so high to run an event is because the owners paid too much for the sport. Basically they got Bernie'd!

Good to see Mclaren do well at the weekend. I hope Button can build from here to a second championship. Looks like Lewis still needs to get his head together seeing his post race gloomy face.

Back