F1 in 2014.

I would like to see the point system revamped. I would like to see points awarded from 1st to last with less of them awarded for a win , its wrong that the minnows in F1 can run a season and get nothing. I would also like to see the grid split in two with the top ten starting on their own grid from the back so their pole starts from tenth, that would stir up some racing and turn f1 into a race rather than a procession. These races of late are just watching the pole sitters scamper off into the distance , there is no mix.

Bob

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Bobsid
I have to agree with you again.

Points need to get revamped totally

Waaaay. Back I used to sail and they had a points system that ran from first to last place.
It started with first place getting zero points
Second two etc
If you retired you got points for number of starters plus one place
If you were penalised or disqualified you got points for number of starters plus two places

Lowest points tally over the series won.

Would that work? Certainly see less dodgy car parts and dangerous movements sorted out by stewards

Ian

Bobsid,

I don't think reverse-order grid would work for the simple fact that it would encourage "sandbagging" during qualifying. But, the concept of awarding points to all on the grid based on their finish may help the "little guys" somewhat.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Bobsid,

I don't think reverse-order grid would work for the simple fact that it would encourage "sandbagging" during qualifying. But, the concept of awarding points to all on the grid based on their finish may help the "little guys" somewhat.

Sandbagging, didn't the English Cricket Team try that?

ooooppsss !!!

FORMULA ONE
Mercedes Formula One Nico Rosberg driver on Twitter: Just spun at full speed 320km/h on Bahrain straight cause my tyre blew up without warning.thanks to that need to get some toilet paper now

:lipsrsealed::lipsrsealed:

Keith

Someone was quite quick to delete that tweet. Seems like the PR people have overall control of a drivers output these days....

For anyone champing at the bit for the 2014 season to start (anyone....anyone?) here's a 1hr clip of qualifying from the 1986 Australian Grand Prix at Adelaide.

Featuring (amongst others) James Hunt, Murray Walker and a youthful looking Jackie Stewart.

The 4 cylinder BMW (stock block!) was the grid's most powerful, producing 1,450hp in qualifying trim. Steel brakes, manual gearshift, these guys were the REAL DEAL back then.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu8RJZVw0Ao[/ame]

Keith

We used to have quite a decent F1 following in the Paddock and we are at day 3 in Jerez and not a single post despite bold new regs and interesting tech.

So, in order to try and kickstart some enthusiasm, here is a season update.

The new engines sound amazing, so much going on under the 'hood' with turbo whistle and generators whining etc. The YouTube Ferrari - La Ferrari Test Mule video I posted earlier in this thread is exactly what they sound like. Here's a snapshot of good, bad and the recovery truck! (More laps than Red Bull) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_GwL2KFw9I"]F1 Testing 2014: Jerez - Day 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Day three finished just now like this: New Boy Kevin Magnussen (McLaren) quickest on a low 1:23, followed by Massa (Williams) Hamilton (Mercedes) Button (McLaren) and Alonso (Ferrari). However, they are still 6 seconds off last years Day 3 times, but with chilly running and Mercedes and Ferraris only running at 75% or thereabouts, there's more to come. Button reckons they'll be down in the 22's tomorrow but it will be wet.

The BIG story is the complete failure of the Renault powered cars to hardly turn a lap. Torro Rosso have achieved most but non competitive. The Fire Truck has completed more laps than the Red Bulls and they (Red Bull) have given up for the week not having even completed 10 laps. Apparently, they have packaged the energy recovery and turbo systems too tightly and it's not easily rectified. However, that doesn't explain the problems suffered by the other Renault teams.

By contrast, Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari are in the 3 figure range of reliable running, with Mercedes powered cars easily topping the mileage charts.

Controversies: There's always some. FIA don't like the noses on Mercedes or Ferrari and they are studying the crash test results. Everyone and their uncle is frantic about the rear end of the McLaren. It's clever, but is it legal? Have they pulled off a Brawn style 'Double Diffuser' trick? Some think so, although McLaren say they specifically ran it by the FIA in the middle of last year and got a green light. Ferrari, in the meantime, may have a turbo insulation problem vis a vis the rules. They have interpreted the rule that the turbo housing itself is a sufficient heatshield, whilst Merc and Renault have opted for a fairly hefty 3kg carbon fibre shield in their rule interpretation. Not an easy fix if it becomes a problem.

So, lots of excitement!

That is all.

Keith,

Not to worry. We've all been reading every scrap of info on the new cars and watching every spy video we can! I'll make Montreal and USGP again this year to enjoy the live action....:thumbsup:

Keith

Cool Doc! That's two of us..

Actually, I have a feeling that Mr Morton did motivate a lot of the activity here when he worked for the Renault and then Red Bull F1 teams.

Now, he's relegated to Audi, I mean really, and all he does is park his radar van in the next county, sit back in his great big easy chair, eat oysters and drink chilled Krug and occasionally lets the team know (if they're lucky) that it's going to drizzle at some point..... :laugh:

Actually, to be fair, he has got a very high tech set-up (before he gets on the phone to me..playing Mr Angry).. :furious:

Been following it on the net, must agree they sound a darn sight better than some of them look, glorious but am a fan of V6 Turbo era. I think Williams will be the dark horse this year, looks a good basic car obviously after Ferrari, McLaren and Merc. Think the RB won't be anywhere early doors.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Catterham take the fugly car of the year prize. Red Bull we not happy. Mclaren wadda ya mean we are cheats? And Lewis is still gay....sorry happy.

Pat

Supporter
I've been looking at the new 2014 F1 cars and the fronts are certainly interesting from an aesthetic standpoint. As famous yacht designers have looked to sea mammals for design inspiration, apparently the F1 community has taken a decidedly simian approach...

Attachments

• thAGUJ3PU2.jpg
    thAGUJ3PU2.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 208

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Keith ,
You forgot to mention the Opera in Verona, McLaren and Jordan.
Also you made no mention of Mr. Whippy. Big Rons new mate Eric (B)
and Mr Whippy would not be very easy team mates. So Whippy gets the grand
order of the swiftly aimed boot.

"If you sit by the river long enough ...............

Complete this Japanese saying and win 1/8 of an air mile.

Last edited:
Back