Ford /Shelby Paint Codes

I'll throw my $0.02 CAD in...

I believe Guardsman Blue has a metallic/satin finish to it which will reflect the light and make it appear lighter and darker depending on the angle you are looking at from. I think metallic paint is difficult to capture in a photograph because of the properties of the paint and if the lighting, exposure time etc are incorrect.

Your local automotive paint pro would be able to give you the right answer - may not be as easy to just add Black.

Chris

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Richard,

If you are very particular about the exact blue, you might consider having a local paint shop mix and spray a larger panel (say 2 feet square) for you to evaluate before you commit to something based on a small swatch. As Chris mentions, there are a lot of different paint finishes and effects. I have seen really nice finishes that involve a silver base and transparent color coats (lots) over top that produce the most wicked dark cobalt blue. SPF may not offer much variation, but picking color from a small swatch is really tough.

Good luck!

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if you are aware of this web site:

AutoColorLibrary Color Chip Selector

You can go out and view scans of the oringial color chips from many, many manufacturers with the original paint codes. You have to love some of the color names from the late 60's--"Bring 'em back Olive" (green) and "Last Stand Custard" (yellow) are but two that I can remember!

Garrett

PS - I just went out to check if things worked, and had trouble looking at the full-size page views. It has always worked in the past, so hopefully, things will be sorted out soon.

Back