Graham's LMK917 @ Autosport

Malcolm

Supporter
Re: On the importance of understanding expectations

I will not close this thread due to differing opinions (however vast the differences might be) but I will close it if the posts become simple personal snipes and threats. "Flaming" from any position is often best ignored as a coal removed from a fire will die out quite quickly, often with no harm done. But sometimes easier said than done.

And if that doesn't work, if someone writes something you don't like, imagine them on the loo with trousers round their ankles. How can you take them seriously after seeing them there? This helped me many many years ago when I was made redundant. Followed by two massive black tyre lines out the office car park!

As to whether this thread belongs in this section, at present it does. A club member started it after an annual club activity ie going to Autosport International. It is of interest generally in the same vein of Robin going to race in the Le Mans Classic in his E Type and the updates we get in other sections on the P4 restoration. It is good to hear about what freinds and acquaintances are up to. It may even give you ambition to do something similar....

Keep chirpy

Malcolm

Graham,

Put me on your your mailing list.

This car is my second love after my GT40 (wife not included in this priority list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif...).

I would not worry on unanimous nonsense /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Fred

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

Good write up in Autosport this week. Very complimentary.
The magazine leaves me slightly confused though, as it seems from the text that it was built from scratch here in the UK. Did you scrap the LMK 917 car in the end ?
Dave M

The real deal - aka Goodwood Festival of Speed 2004.

Attachments

• 29239-LM917GWD.JPG
    29239-LM917GWD.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 300

David ,
I do not want to say much more about any of this on this site and you have forgotten much of what i tried to say to you at the show. The car was originally based on the Keiller car but so bad was the supply, wait,etc, etc, i had no option but to go my own way.Certain people know the whole truth and story and anything that has been implied by articles in the press should be taken open mindedly.Because of possible legal action I am not being drawn into any more conversations on this matter. Too many things have been taken out of the true perspective and my original post in this column should have said it all without the waters being muddied any further. Finis
Graham Turner.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Graham,
We didn't discuss much really except you were not all that happy about things. Your kit looked very nice and the finish was superb. I wish you luck with the aluminium version but I imagine you will run seperate oil hoses rather than as the original version. I'm told it wouldn't be too difficult to improve on the welding on the originals. Good Luck Graham
Dave M

David and all,

This issue of oil hoses i have mentioned before and i think it is important that everyone realises that many alterations took place with 917s, especially after Wyer took over the main 917 programme. That, coupled with todays Racing (NOT road) regulations means that NO fluids, even if run in seperate hoses may run in chassis tubes for obvious crash/fracture reasons. I,ve stated this before as i know that some 40 builders have run water pipes through chassis tubes and they would fail scrutineering if they tried to circuit race in Europe. Obviously original historic cars are exempt but most owners now (certainly most 917s i know) use separate hoses. Mine and any subsequent cars run with totally inboard systems.You probably noticed that i have made no concessions for road use and that it has been built as an outright racing car so many things are going to be different to a potential road legal vehicle.
Sadly for us in most of Europe strict laws(SVA,TUV,Etc) mean that the 917 as it stands will never pass muster without radical changes but i can tell you that i have applied for a special SVA revue and test and will produce the results before not to long.I can say now that the purists among you will be dissapointed at what will have to be altered for one to pass.
Regards,
Graham.

Malcolm

Supporter

Wow, compare Paul's first picture of Graham's car at the top of this thread and then the one of the real car at Goodwood. Tell me that they don't look one and the same? Fantastic.

Malcolm

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

Graham,
Thanks for the info. What suprises me is the front geometry and the position of the pedals vis-a-vis the front wheels on the -40 and more so on the 917. If they were a new concept today, I would be amazed if scrutineering accepted them.
Dave M

Back