GT-40 Donor chassis?

I'm VERY new to this whole kit car idea. But, I really love GT-40. And, I know there is no way I'll ever be able to get anything else but a kit car.

The question is "Is there a kit car that uses a donor car for the chassis?" Like a Fiero or something?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Doug

rolleyes.gif
.........be kind boys.

This is the only company that I know of that offers a donor car "GT40":
ASPP - 520-689-0100

Some compromises were made...

(Don'cha just love ellipsis?
shocked.gif
)

most GT40 replicas are made off of custom chassis, and all (imo) of the good ones are.

Please don't biuld an ASPP. It is just bad for the image. Like the kid who's got the "street rod" when really it's just an engine and some rust. Bad for the image of street rodders. This is why people want to crush and recycle the old cars. Biuld it right or don't biuld it at all.

Regrettably, I don't have much experience building this sort of thing. And, I figured it would be easier and cheaper to build a GT 40 from a donor car. I'm also some what on a budget. With a donor I can also buy the parts slowly as I can affoard them. Not all at once. (There is a gentleman on this board that is selling a partially assembled kit, and I can't affoard that. At least, I don't think I can.
wink.gif

Doug

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You have a few choices, I think: there may be companies out there that offer a body similar to a GT40 to go on a donor chassis; best to look in Kit Car etc. I think you would be better off spending time looking for w car which someone else has started and for whatever reason can't or won't finish. Also, keep in mind that there are used GTDs for sale in Britain on various websites. You would have to remove the engine and probably the transaxle to bring such a car into the USA, which means it would be cheaper. It took me well over a year to find the GT40 deal I thought was right for me, granted I may have a slightly bigger budget.
I think Fiberfab (shows my age) did make a GT40 lookalike for a VW chassis (bug pan).There may still be some around. They may be collector's items in their own right, now that I think of it. Good Luck!!
grin.gif

Darth-

Lonestar makes a GT40 look-alike that uses a VW engine, or a Mazda rotary engine. Don't know anyone firsthand that has one. From a distance, it looks like a GT40, but if you were to put one next to an ERA, RF, CAV, or other replica that is 99.9% accurate, you will quickly notice they're different.

If you go the ASPP or Lonestar route, I don't think you will be 100% happy in the end. It's just such a compromise.

Best suggestion is to look for one that is incomplete (rare), or an older completed car for sale.

-Bill

Yeah, I know. I'd love to get a GT40 made with a custom chassis. It would be the best way. But, it does seem a little expensive. Even, an incomplete one. I know they aren't really. Especially, if you figure the amount of time that goes into making one.

I'm, really, just in the earliest stages of looking into the prospect of taking on a project of this magnatude. I know it'll take several years to do it correctly. So, I'm going to take my time and listen to you learned gentlemen.

Thank you all for your help,

Doug

G

Doug

If you can't swing a GT40 budget, how about
a Factory Five Cobra? For $ 12k the kit is a
great value, you can build it as cheap/expensive as you want, can be done over time since 5.0's are everywhere, and it looks and runs like the real thing!

From what I've seen, it's a LOT easier than
any Fiero conversion, with REAL performance.

MikeD

Mike-

That's an excellent choice for the novice builder. Inexpensive, good quality, and a plethora of aftermarket hi-performance parts.

Darth-
This would be a great way to get your "wings". After you finish building a Cobra, you can sell it and use the proceeds to move up to a GT40.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

-Bill

I'd have to agree with that thought. Go the Factory 5 route first. All the parts to complete the car can be taken from a wrecked 5.0 Mustang.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Doug, don't discount a full GT40 replica. I am not sure whether you are in the US or UK, but either way, an Australian '40 may be the way to go (given the exchange rate). A Roaring Forties kit, complete with every thing except motor, gearbox, tyres & paint (absolutely everything else, down to wheels, 1000 rivets, all nuts bolts, alt, A/C, pulleys, etc) runs out at AUD$42,000. This is about US$22,000 - an absolute steal. If this is still too high for Day 1, I am sure that Robert Logan of RF would be happy to sell you a more basic initial setup, followed by other bits as you need them.

Compared to the potential exchange rate savings, the freight costs are "lunch money".

Have a cruise through the RF website - you'll be amazed at what is included in the kit :
http://www.roaringforties.com.au/

Good Luck Mate !!

Back