GT FUSION - An Idea I'm Working On...

Hi All

Posted a reply on the GT40 Successor Thread elsewhere and would like to put an idea across that I've been working on. If this ain't the right place for this topic - apologies in advance. :eek:

Anyway, what are your thoughts out there on doing a cross-over between the original and the new Ford GT??

Now that my Hot Orange Lola T70 is practically finished, I'm about ready to start on a '40 replica.
I obviously have way to much time on my hands and watch too much Discovery Channel, Chip Foose in particular, and am quite keen on doing something a little bit different to the norm...

I was originally looking for a set of Halibrand or BRM rims for a standard replica build and a few ideas on paint schemes. I really want to do an 'Eleanor' GT500 replica at some stage and really like the overall feel of the car and thought this would work really well on a '40.

So why not change the rims to get a more contemporary look for the car. Why stop there... I've been playing around with a few design ideas, to see if an amalgamation the old style '40 and the new GT might be possible.
To repeat my question posed elsewhere, does anyone here know of anything similar that's been done - or will I be dragged outside and shot at dawn for even thinking about doing this...

Okay - A few pics...
This was my original idea, inspired by Eleanor and the GT Tungsten Edition...
GT40-Rendering.jpg

I think the Gold insert BRM's could be toned down a bit, but you get the general idea.

GT40-Side-View.jpg

I like the idea of a heavy tint on the windows to give the car a mild custom look.
GT40-Back-3-Quarter.jpg

Use a bit of stainless here and there to continue the metallic theme...
Now for something a bit different...

Drop the standard headlights for a start and replace with a Xenon style type, available off the shelf from auto accessories shops that cater for the 'Go-Faster-Crowd'.
'French' in side indicators/repeaters - a standard part off a well know family run-around car (I'm not telling you which one - Guess :p: )
Drop in a pair of spots, with a stainless retaining ring to emulate the GT
Open up the front radiator gap by removing the seperate brake ducts so it looks wider and lower.
Cut the nose up into different sections to represent seams and different panels in the body panels as per the GT.
17" Front and 18" Rear rims and tires to complete the contemporary look.
There are a few more little detail touches to get the look 'right' which I'm not mentioning, but you get the idea...

Fusion-Rendering.jpg

Fusion-Side-View.jpg

Fusion-Back-3-Quarter.jpg

A bit of modifing to the body contours, same as front and (haven't done it on the rendering) change the tail lights to an LED style - Off a light commercial vehicle.
There are alot of detail touches I'm thinking of doing on the exterior, back window area in particular, and the interior will obviously be a mix of old and new as well.

Soooo... I would value all your opinions on a project like this. Should I stick to originality or be bold enough doing something different?
This car will be for sale as soon as it's finished, so it's not something I'm keeping. Keeping this in mind, do you think this one-off might appeal to someone out there in GT40 land or should I stick to a standard build?

Let me know what you think.
Cheers - Mark

Hi Mark

I really like what you've done with the front and rear views, but I think there is something missing from the side view. The rear looks fine to me with the big wheels, but the over all balance isn't quite there, I think.

What about a front splitter? If designed right it will help the aero and even allow you to feed a full undertray/diffuser set up if you want to go all the way.

I think the right splitter design would balance the side view of the car too - a tad more frontal aggression is all I think it needs.

I say "go for it" - definitely. I'm not a purist, but I'm not a '40 owner either (building my own design from a clean sheet). I love the Eleanor colours, and long live Foose.

PS - I would not add any chrome or S/Steel, and would even get rid of those visible latches. Oh, and I'd do something with the mirrors too.

Ron Earp

Admin
You gotta do what you gotta do.

But if you are building this car for sale I'd stick with a good GT40 build. Timeless, right, and it can be easily sold.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Mark.... IMHO the top three I'm good with, the bottom three are too "Hot Wheels" lookin for me. I'm with Ron, I'm a bit more of a purist.

Hi, I posted a response in the other thread. I thought this one was discussing the GT40 powertrain they put in the Fusion! Nevermind.

I like the overall oevre, but you might benefit from looking at the front fender/windshield rake. it may be causing a balance issue. I like the rework of the rear fenders. It gives it the original, organic feel. Maybe reduce the design, and play with it some.

Hi All
Thanks for the replies guys - At least I haven't had any death threats :)
I sat in the garage this weekend, playing with pin stripping to create shut lines, drinking beer and generally just getting a 'feel' for the body.
I think Ron has hit it on the head though... I wll be selling it on when I'm done, and an 'original replica' would probably have more mass appeal. I'll file this idea away for now and save it for my own '40 I think.
Still like the colour scheme though - just got to find me a set of BRM's... And a single nostril - not keen on the twin that I got with the project.
Time to start another build thread I guess.
Cheers - Mark

Mark,

The side view with the big wheels make the side windows look small, and as Rob already stated, makes it look like a Hot Wheels car.

The purists will cock their heads and wonder, and the newer generation may look at it with a total different perspective. nothing ventured, nothing gained. Wish you luck, and I hope you have a big piggy bank to help you on.

Back