Gt40mkii

Attachments

• GT40 MKII.jpg
    GT40 MKII.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 615
Last edited:
Fairly sure that was the mandatory luggage space according to FIA regulations paulo, wouldnt have been to good to have your favourite wine stashed in the suitcase beside those exhausts!!

Jac Mac

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
lagguage boxes?:confused: this I really didnt know..and over a pure race car as the gt40 mk2 was.

I've always something to learn:)

As Jac Mac said it was required by the regs which paid lipservice to the idea of a road going GT. Hence luggage stowage of a specified volume, plus spare wheel etc.

Cheers

The aluminum boxes were, as mentioned, to accept the spec FIA suite case and a spare tire. We used a collapsable spare in the MKIV. Don't remember what was used in '66. I believe the FIA dropped the requirement after the '67 LeMans race.

Correct me if I am wrong but the XGT-3 was a Alan Mann MKII lightweight spare car. I believe it had an aluminum roof as well as the cladding in the advert?(might be wrong) Alan Mann wanted to field his MK1 lightweights and they were seen at the 1966 Le Mans practise day. He was contracted by Ford to race the MKII's so his lightweights never race at Le Mans in MKI guise! The spare wheel in the MKIV was similar to the MKIIB's in 1967 being positioned upright by the side of the single 'luggage box' it was full size. I thought the 1966 MKIIA's had the spare wheel at the front accessable from the under front hinged panel? Thats why they could have two luggage boxes at the back (I am pretty sure nothing was carried in them?. Can you imagine them being used to handicap the cars in the form of ballast? You thought that this luggage rule was weird I have seen a Ferrari 250LM with this fitted!! even weirder a Chaparral 2D!
Regards Allan

Last edited:
Back