GT40s.com Paddock Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this time last year, the following was the case:

Obama became the 1st president in the history of the country who hadn't seen 3% growth in at least one year of his tenure. 'Number of people in poverty had risen 3.5 %. Labor participation rate had dropped from 65.7 % to 62.8%...'lowest since 1978 or so? Real median household income was down 2.3%. Home ownership down 5.6%. Americans on food stamps up 39.5%. Reported unemployment rate was down to 5%...but, the gubmunt didn't/doesn't count those who'd given up looking for work AS unemployed. Neither is there/was there any distinction made between FULL and PART TIME employment...both were/are lumped together in the same statistical bag. Aaaaand, in May of '16, the Nat'l debt stood at about $19.19 Trillion. Of course, by the time Obama left office in January/2017, that figure had become $19.6 trillion...darned near DOUBLE what it was when he 1st took office. Oh, and let's not forget all of Obama's new rules and regs. They increased U.S. industries' cost of doing business by around $100 billon-plus in seven years.

Yeeeeeeup...he'd sure had "maintained" things alright. :lipsrsealed:

Yeah...you're RIGHT - THE WEALTHIEST AND MOST POWERFUL nation on Earth...and you want to CHANGE what "got us where we are now"!!!?

As an aside a lot of what you stated has been the same in the UK under a Conservative government, for example.

"Andrew Neil is right about the current scale of the debt. The Office for National Statistics (ONS) published figures on public sector finances in April. And though the deficit had fallen by £20bn in the year to March 2017, the debt grew by £123.5bn. That brought the debt – the amount of money owed by the UK government – to £1,729.5bn. David Cameron inherited a national debt of £811.3bn when he became prime minister in 2010. So the Tories have more than doubled the debt, by £918.2bn, in their seven years in government."

But Neil is essentially attacking Corbyn’s Labour for thinking about borrowing more money because the Conservative government has already got us into extreme debt. Now, where have we heard that before? (Where indeed!!!)

Between 1st April 2016 and 31st March 2017, The Trussell Trust’s Foodbank Network provided 1,182,954 three day emergency food supplies to people in crisis compared to 1,109,309 in 2015-16. Of this number, 436,938 went to children.

Record 910,000 UK workers on zero-hours contracts

Home ownership in England at a 30-year low, official figures show

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
As an aside a lot of what you stated has been the same in the UK under a Conservative government, for example.

"Andrew Neil is right about the current scale of the debt. The Office for National Statistics (ONS) published figures on public sector finances in April. And though the deficit had fallen by £20bn in the year to March 2017, the debt grew by £123.5bn. That brought the debt – the amount of money owed by the UK government – to £1,729.5bn. David Cameron inherited a national debt of £811.3bn when he became prime minister in 2010. So the Tories have more than doubled the debt, by £918.2bn, in their seven years in government."

But Neil is essentially attacking Corbyn’s Labour for thinking about borrowing more money because the Conservative government has already got us into extreme debt. Now, where have we heard that before? (Where indeed!!!)

Between 1st April 2016 and 31st March 2017, The Trussell Trust’s Foodbank Network provided 1,182,954 three day emergency food supplies to people in crisis compared to 1,109,309 in 2015-16. Of this number, 436,938 went to children.

Record 910,000 UK workers on zero-hours contracts

Home ownership in England at a 30-year low, official figures show

Thanks Nick
I love stats and figures and it makes me realise that no matter who is in government they have nobody's interest at heart except their own. And that the referendum was the public trying to cut off a huge part of the gravy train.

Referring to the food banks. How many of the people collecting from these drive to them, have a smartphone on contract, have been on a foreign holiday, smoke 20 a day etc.
Am I wrong to think that for more than a few this is a lifestyle choice?

Referring to the food banks. How many of the people collecting from these drive to them, have a smartphone on contract, have been on a foreign holiday, smoke 20 a day etc.
Am I wrong to think that for more than a few this is a lifestyle choice?

Hi Ian,

Personally I think you are, :) there will always be some who grab the headlines. We are all shaped by our experiences, knowing people who work in deprived areas of the North, teachers who buy clothes for children who are going to school in what amounts to rags, Schools providing the only hot meal some children get (soon to be cut by the government) the amount of poverty especially child poverty in this country is shocking and disgusting for a wealthy country.

As I understand it you have to be referred to a food bank.

Food vouchers

"Every day people in the UK go hungry for reasons ranging from redundancy to receiving an unexpected bill on a low income. A simple box of food makes a big difference, with foodbanks helping prevent crime, housing loss, family breakdown and mental health problems.

Care professionals such as doctors, health visitors, schools and social workers identify people in crisis and issue them with a foodbank voucher. This entitles them to receive a foodbank parcel of three days’ nutritionally balanced, non-perishable food."

Good job there are those who help as, although I find it disgusting there is no way I am going to help financially if it reduces my life style, which is why I rely on government taxes to do it for me ;) and they need to be doing more.

There but for the grace of God go I.

Last edited:

Keith

Forgive me but the sight of a collection point for donations to a Food bank placed right by a Waitrose checkout makes me seeth!

I mean why?

If the management of Waitrose had any humanity at all, they would fill the damned pallet from their OWN shelves rather than soliciting customers for donations of products they've already made their margins on. The hypocrisy stinks...

Forgive me but the sight of a collection point for donations to a Food bank placed right by a Waitrose checkout makes me seeth!

I mean why?

If the management of Waitrose had any humanity at all, they would fill the damned pallet from their OWN shelves rather than soliciting customers for donations of products they've already made their margins on. The hypocrisy stinks...

Keith,

I understand your very pertinent point although I had never even thought about it before. It does make it easy for shoppers to donate a few bits, better than nothing even if it is out of guilt, especially for the Catholics :), wonder if the supermarkets could be persuaded / cajoled into selling donations at cost price, or donating the difference in cash.

They really need to do something about the food that gets dumped, frightened of health and safety and being sued I guess, but can't believe something cannot be sorted out about it.

PS Asda and other supermarkets are available as well as Waitrose (bit posh for me more an Aldi man myself).

Last edited:
Forget the right wing-alt right-biased statistical analysis put forward by someone here....more importantly.....

Lock Them Up! Lock Them Up! Lock Them Up!

CNN is reporting our President has gained EVEN MORE weight. Geeze, he was already obese on the campaign trail. He may drop dead from eating too much KFC and drinking too much Coca-Cola.

Maybe, he should start believing in exercise, like every health professional recommends. What a moron.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
CNN is reporting our President has gained EVEN MORE weight. Geeze, he was already obese on the campaign trail. He may drop dead from eating too much KFC and drinking too much Coca-Cola.

Maybe, he should start believing in exercise, like every health professional recommends. What a moron.

...'care to address Al Gore's weight issue...or his 'mental condition' for that matter? How about Rep. Jerrold Nadler? 'Need more? :lipsrsealed:

...'care to address Al Gore's weight issue...or his 'mental condition' for that matter? How about Rep. Jerrold Nadler? 'Need more? :lipsrsealed:

Al Gore? South Park made fun of him in an episode released in 2006 called ManBearPig." So, Al Gore stopped being relevant to me at the end of that episode, after I had laughed my a$$ off for 30 minutes.

And I had to Google who Jerrold Nadler was. Why is his weight relevant to me? He represents a district in NY.

The way I look at it is the President has a significant weight issue, which is getting worse. He's obese. If he can't control his weight, eats like crap, and doesn't believe in exercise as being something that's healthy, then he's not only a MORON, but between the weight and stress, he's going to implode. I just wished he smoked and drank alcohol too. :laugh:

There's just no effort and he's rich, famous and the President. If he can't get his weight under control, I don't think he's got a chance at solving something more difficult. "Very bad."

BTW, the irony here is that he claimed throughout the campaign that Hillary didn't have the stamina for the job. But the way things are looking, I don't think Trump is going to have the stamina to make it to bedroom each night for 4 years. Too many stairs.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
^^^As usual, you've worked up quite a lather ducking my point and trying to burying it under an avalanche of irrelevancies.

'Done for the day...

^^^As usual, you've worked up quite a lather ducking my point and trying to burying it under an avalanche of irrelevancies.

'Done for the day...

As usual, your point about Al Gore is irrelevant. Who cares? He never was President. And stopped being relevant at least 10-15-20 years ago. No one cares about Al Gore's mental stability a long time ago. Call him unstable. I don't care. I never voted for him in 2000. :thumbsup:

Another interesting read ---
So it was okay for Obama to have a Back-Channel with Iran?
Watch MSNBC's Joy Reid Get Rattled At Obama's Iran Back Channel
---
I heard about it first this morning on NPR....

Context, Randy, context. Suspicious on its own, but when you add Flynn, Manafort, Sessions, Page, Kushner, etc., takes on a whole new meaning. Also, the Kushner proposal was to establish communications in the secure Russian embassy. Avoiding our own CIA, FBI, etc.

Also, one President at a time.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Context, Randy, context. Suspicious on its own, but when you add Flynn, Manafort, Sessions, Page, Kushner, etc., takes on a whole new meaning. Also, the Kushner proposal was to establish communications in the secure Russian embassy. Avoiding our own CIA, FBI, etc.

Also, one President at a time.

...and yet, for all the clamor and all the >A-C-C-U-S-A-T-I-O-N-S< flying around, no lesser lefties than Feinstein, former DNI Clapper, Warner, Coons, Hoyer, former Acting CIA Director Morrell, Crowley, Adam Schiff(!) - AND EVEN MAXINE "IMPEACH HIM!" WATERS have all had to acknowledge there is no "there" there when pressed about it.

Face it, Rod, if there were even so much as one SCINTILLA of evidence indicating any wrongdoing, given the fact that every lefty on the planet has been looking for it 24/7, something would have/should have been found by now.

Buuuuut, you just keep right on beating the "collusion" drum if it makes your barn dance, sir. ;)

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Talking of political fraud etc. I just came home to a polling card stating that a family of five here have voting rights. Judging by the surname and the fact that the local Labour politician is of Indian subcontinent origin, am I being too judgemental in my conclusion?
So, I've sent the local council an email asking them to note the illegal registration of my address and asking them if they will be arranging for the culprits to be at least arrested, when they try to place illegal votes.
Their reply should be interesting in the least.

...and yet, for all the clamor and all the >A-C-C-U-S-A-T-I-O-N-S< flying around, no lesser lefties than Feinstein, former DNI Clapper, Warner, Coons, Hoyer, former Acting CIA Director Morrell, Crowley, Adam Schiff(!) - AND EVEN MAXINE "IMPEACH HIM!" WATERS have all had to acknowledge there is no "there" there when pressed about it.

Face it, Rod, if there were even so much as one SCINTILLA of evidence indicating any wrongdoing, given the fact that every lefty on the planet has been looking for it 24/7, something would have/should have been found by now.

Buuuuut, you just keep right on beating the "collusion" drum if it makes your barn dance, sir. ;)

First, "covfefe." What an obese unstable moron. :laugh:

Second, do you really think, if there was evidence, that we the public would know about it? Most of the testimony so far has been "We can't say that's classified." And even if there were no evidence, thus far, why did the Deputy AG, appoint Mueller a special prosecutor? Why was Sally Yates, James Comey and Preet Bharara all fired for investigating some aspect of the Russian scandal.

Third, why did the Podesta emails get released ONE HOUR after the Billy Bush-Trump TMZ scandal broke? One hour? Do you think the Russians, WikiLeaks and someone from Trump's campaign conspired? I do, can they prove it? I don't know.

Oh there's there there. Someone is going down. No doubt about it. But you keep burying your head in the sand. And support the fat slob, who thinks exercise is reduction of the limited amount of energy a human has. :shrug:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Rod - it was a TYPO for pitty's sake.....
Have you and CNN got nothing else to do but whine about a typo and what the "hidden" meaning is behind it?
Good grief!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I don't thimk I hve ever mispellled a word whilst typng om a diigtal keyboard..

Let he who is without guilt cast the first stone.....

I listen to CNN Audio and others via TuneIn Radio while working in the shop all day... I have never listened to more childish drivel in my life.. After about 3 hours, I threw in the towel and switched to NPR, then Fox. The misspelling was mentioned once only in each of those shows, but not beyond.. 6 hours later I switched back to CNN and it was still a cackle-fest about the hidden meaning of the word and how he is obviously desperate in search of a friend, etc etc etc...
CNN is not the station it once was.
I used to have great respect for them and the reporters.
I think they have relegated themselves to a spot on the magazine rack right between The Sun and National Inquirer....

You're missing the point and context. First, he's the F'ing President. What a role model, huh? Check your work and all.

Second, he's up late (12:06 AM) tweeting a fragment of a thought. And never finishes it. He or someone else deletes it in the morning and then he tweets out "Enjoy!"

Maybe he has dementia or Sundowner's Syndrome (mix up day/night). I don't know.

And do you read and hear him in both print and video? Just further proof, IMO, that I don't think he has all his marbles at 71 or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back