Gurney-Weslake Valve Covers

Chris/Fran,

I'll be at Monterey. I'll be hanging about the "Flip Top" Cobra quite a bit, as a friend owns it. I'm not sure what would be the best way to connect but it may be via cell phone if you're bringing one. I can provide the number if that would be the best way to get together--

Bob

Thanks, Chris, I will try to look you guys up at your hotel. If you have a pair of valve covers unclaimed I will buy them from you at that time. I will be hanging around the track with someone you may want to meet--a guy named Phil Remington who had a thing or two to do with the GT40 program... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bob

Hi All
The next 15 sets of valve covers have just arrived, first come first served.
Five sets on there way to Fran Hall for distribution in the USA mid November.

Regards
Chris.

Could you please let me know if you have any Gurney Weslake parts left, and if so what are the prices for the items. Thanks, Tim

All the valve covers that recently arrived have been sold and delivered.
The next shipment will probably not be until Mid -April ,my next trip back to England.
Otherwise the shipping costs are astronomical...
Let me know if I can help you in the future.

Well, some four months after taking possession of my G-W valve covers, I finally prepped, painted, and installed them. I guess the color scheme is not quite authentic, but I like the way they came out and they certainly match the rest of the car:
10349gwvalvecovers.jpg

Thanks to Club Cobra member Thomas Gayer for the photo--

Bob,

Valve covers look great, the car looks even better.

What is that clear "thing" on the carbs?!! I LIKE,,,,,

Mr. Fender, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks! That is a sheet of lexan that sits about 1 1/2" over the tops of the Webers. It was installed by the car's first owner. I'm not sure how good a job it does of keeping stuff out of the carbs but it sure makes a great conversation piece. I'm working on some sort of filter around the perimeter of it, to retain the "open" look of the Webers while adding some dirt-trapping-ability.

BTW, thanks for your assistance on the air conditioning issues. I installed the new condenser a couple of weeks back and put 400 miles on the car last weekend in total comfort. It was not exactly a hot weekend, but I still couldn't have done that a month ago--

Bob,

Glad to hear about the AC. When you come up with a filter for that screen, I will calling/begging for info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have a friend who is a great fabricator and I'm hoping to enlist his help so the end result doesn't look too "Rube Goldberg." I doubt K & N makes a filter of the proper dimensions but what I'm thinking about involves making a base plate out of either aluminum or lexan that is the same size as the cover plate in my photo, then coming up with a filter that sandwiches between the two. I love the "period correct" look of the open Webers but I'm concerned about the amount of grit that undoubtedly gets into them. Not a big concern when they were raced, I'm sure, as they were being continuously rebuilt, but I'd prefer not to have to tear my engine down any time soon... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'll update you when I do some work on this project, item #4,363 on my list of "things I need to do in the garage." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't know how true this is, but when I was given a ride in an original GT-40 the mechanic that was tuning the motor told me that the plate like the clear one you are refering to was made of steel. He told me that it was on there to stop any fuel that might blow back up the carb and make the rear window dirty so the driver couldn't see out of it during the race. He did have an English accent and I was told that he was working on the original cars back in the 60's when they were racing. Another interesting thing was that that GT was a 289. What was really interesting about the motor was that there were wires fished through holes that were drilled through all of the bolt heads with lead seals squeezed on the wires on the intake manifold and other places that I do not remember. The mechanic told me that was done because it was common practice to loosen those bolts when no one was watching so the motor would suck air and not run very well. Hense loose the race. Joseph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regarding the wired bolts it was common practice in a railway workshop I was working for. Two adjacent bolts were wired together and the wire was tightened by twisting them around in between the two bolt heads in a manner similar to using a turnbuckle. It would prevent bolts working themselves loose under vibration and falling on to the track or into a gearbox. It doesn't look particularly attractive but it is effective for its purpose.

Back