Gurney-Weslake Valve Covers

Ed.
check out the "Parts for sale" section as Chris gave me a few sets to sell on his behalf when I was home last month.
I live in Michigan.
Regards

We are concerned that these covers may not reflect well on us if the quality is below factory standard. If you think there is sufficient demand we could quote to make them for you.

Stuart

Ron Earp

Admin
There are reproductions of these out there, as pointed out eariler on the thread. Lots of folks have bought them and are happy - need a little cleaning, polishing, and drilling, good to go. As this thread is quite old you might want to use the search engine and bring up more recent threads with the GW valve covers.

R

Hi Stuart,

Can you provide me with any company info about these valve covers you manufacture and what they will cost for a pair (if single runs are practical)?

Thanks

Chris

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Stuart,

I have a set of Chris's covers and the quality is top notch. I found him a straight up and accomodating guy to deal with.

From what I have seen, anything Chris does, he does properly. I do not think your reputation will be besmirched by either Chris or his product.

My only criticism of these covers is they are a little on the heavy side but since most will be destined for road motors this is a bonus as it should damp out a lot of valve clatter, particularly on anything running solid lifters.

Cheers

Hi Guys

thanks for your words of support I still have covers available for the small block Ford heads.
As you guys know I was also involved with the reconfiguration of Fords own press car (GT40 P1008) along with Ray Webber and Stephen Hill, this car was driven at the Goodwood Festival this year by Dan Gurney; and both Dan and Ford were happy with the quality of the work I produce.
I would however like Weslake to make available the original Gurney Weslake heads original style covers for those heads, rocker arms and shafts, to support those of use with Weslake engined cars.
Regards

Chris.

All of this stuff is available from Jay Cushman at 207-892-8141. He is still busy finishing the racing season, so keep trying him.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Chris M,

His home page is:

Welcome to Weslake

On the heritage area it sort of indicates they might be getting back into old vintage parts. They might have realized there is money there to be made, however, nothing on the home page indicates the parts are being made now and are currently available.

Ron

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Chris M.....

Are these my covers?

Andy

Attachments

• Gurney cover.jpg
    Gurney cover.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 568
I've lost a few memory cells...so please forgive me...

But didn't Gurney also use " Gurney-Eagle" covers on some of his engines?
Any idea when/why the switch ?

MikeD

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Found this..........

"With the change to the new 3-litre F1 regulations at the start of 1966, Gurney decided to go it alone and start his own F1 team, the first such US effort since Lance Reventlow's abortive Scarab project at the turn of the decade.

He established All American Racers at Santa Ana, California, to field cars at both Indianapolis and in the World Championship. He started the latter programme with an uncompetitive 2.7-litre Climax-engined car, but the sleek Eagles would soon be powered by Weslake V12 engines and, thus equipped, Gurney stormed to victories in the 1967 Race of Champions and Belgian Grand Prix. Dan would later admit that the Eagle- Weslake was a dramatically underfinanced project: 'We had minimal backing in every area. I think Weslake can be proud of their part in the organisation although I think they would concede their end of the operation was a little shy, even though they were working miracles.' The first Weslake V12 cost $280,000 and each of the six engines built were hand- fettled. Off track, it was a difficult time for Dan. He was attempting to deal with a failing marriage and, rattling back and forth across the Atlantic like a yo-yo, attempting to keep the F1 programme alive whilst at the same time running an Indy car programme, which was taking a disproportionate amount of his time.

The Eagle F1 project finally died in mid-1968, Gurney's enthusiasm for motor racing in general having received a severe dent when Jim Clark was killed in April of that year. In the wake of Bruce McLaren's sad death in the summer of 1970, Dan was drafted back into the USA and never raced again. For the next decade a succession of Eagle Indy car programmes continued, but they too had vanished from the scene by 1983."

Hi
We at this time are not manufacturing these parts we do how ever still hold many of the original drawings spec sheets and test data for most of the Weslake past projects. For the past years Weslake have mainlined on aero engine work. Due to the increasing number of requests for our past motorsport products we are now running a Heritage section Headed up by Harry Weslakes grandson Dean. We are happy to look at any projects and offer help where we can. We are
reintroducing some of our old parts as time and demand permits. Much of the V8 ford product went to AAR in the USA (Dan Gurney) and is still available from the USA. Where parts use the Weslake name we like them to be of the best Quality as not all people may know they are not original parts. Dean is a keen Classic and sportscar person who is open to suggestions for help with Weslake related issue items. Happy GT40 Building.
Stuart

Back