have any of you guys ever had to throwdown?

Never be fooled by size, while in high school in Florida I had a bully 6'4" from New York (as if...) claiming to be a bad ass, he had scars done by knife and a gun shot. He didn't like me because he liked the girl I had broken off with, so at the second time that he called me out I kicked his ass. I was 17 and weighted 180 pounds at 5'10", but I had just gotten a black belt on Tae Kwon Do after five long years of training. I became the high school hero! Anyway, is better to always walk away and only fight if it means to defend your life or your family, nothing else is worth fighting for as anything outside of that is insignificant.

Last edited:
Yes. Its always better to avoid the fight entirely.
When i made the OP, i was still wound up from the encounter and my thoughts where still quite sinister at the time. And the intention of my original post was basically asking "whats the best attack in that kind of situation". Ahh.. the wonders of alcohol.

Now that I have cooled off, I realize how big of an ass I was. Not to the guy I was pissed off at, but to my friends and the other people around me. Also, I don't think many people are aware of the damage two grown men can inflict. This isn't Rocky Balboa vs Ivan Drago where people can seeming take blow after blow. As some have already stated, lives can change forever after an incident like this. Thats what i meant when i said "its not worth it".

Just earlier that week, a friend of mine went to some bars in the Chicago with some of his friends (I wasn't there for this one). There was a fight at the bar he was at and his friends were throwing gas on what was already going on. My friend, who is a pacifist, ended up getting punched in the face even though he was not involved at all, but somehow got targeted because of his friends winding up the other people. After we left the NYE party, he told me he was happy that he didn't get hit this time.

Did you bother to actually READ any of what I said? I'm not the OP...I didn't get boozed up and try to pick a fight with a loud-mouth.?

Yes I did.
Again...would I interfere with someone who tried to get violent with someone else who wasn't wanting a fight? YES.

Long story short, there was a major douche bag that no one likes that was rubbing me the wrong way and it almost came to blows..

John,

Seems to me the guy was just using verbal violence ie "rubbing me up the wrong way".

If you have kept any of your rules of engagement for the conflicts you were in and have a chance to reread, especially if they are UN peacekeeping ones. They do not allow you to get violent with a civilian who was "rubbing someone up the wrong way."

No disrespect to you but I happen to think that the British armed forces are the best in the world.

John hope you can view this, it backs up my opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG1lUd5-sz4

Last edited:
Nice one Nick.

John, as I have posted here before, you have a rather 'set' rhetoric that forces an escalation in verbal conflict. We are talking about a drunken argument that nearly turned into a fight, that's all...

I think a lot people would intervene if they saw someone threatening someone else, but that is NOT the point of this thread... nor is the thread about general violence, or serving in the armed forces.

Nice one Nick.

John, as I have posted here before, you have a rather 'set' rhetoric that forces an escalation in verbal conflict. We are talking about a drunken argument that nearly turned into a fight, that's all...

I think a lot people would intervene if they saw someone threatening someone else, but that is NOT the point of this thread... nor is the thread about general violence, or serving in the armed forces.

So true.

But please take the advice I was given by a police inspector friend, stay safe and do it from a distance if at all possible.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
I'll be the first one to say I've never been in a fight before. Honestly, I may kill the guy if I did. I've always been taught to punch the throat/face, kick the groin, kick the knee(s), etc. Devistating blows. I have knocked a couple of people out by getting them in very tight headlocks/choke holds. Didn't warrant smashing their face, but they needed to be put down for a bit. I wouldn't ever fight unless my life/safety or that of my family was in jeopardy. That's just the way I was raised. If I have to fight, I will use whatever is at my disposal to make sure I win.

Where I live now, it seems everyone fights, or used to fight all the time. Like it's something fun to do. Never really saw the appeal in that. Call me a pussy, but If I fight, it's going to be for a reason and I am going to win at all costs. I'd never do it just to prove a point.

Just my $0.02

Brian

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Guys,

When I first saw this thread, I though "oh shit", this will be ugly!

I was afraid that the macho, he-man tendancies would come out and we would hear story after story of past "glories".

I was very wrong!

I must say that with a few (expected) exceptions, I am pleasantly supprised and proud of the friends I have made here on this wonderful fourm. I have seen smart, logical comments and good advice.

John M, your most recent comments were right on and to the point, thanks for starting this thread.

Thanks guys, I feel bad for ever doubting the very smart folks here on our site.

Jim Craik

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Agreed Jim, however I think I'd rather have a 101 dust up (clean fight) with someone (and a few beers after) 'cause thats just basic animal instincts - than go through a court battle enduring all kinds of PC and humiliation from "intelligent" legal people.

Dirty fighting - base ball bats, knuckle dusters, knives etc is for cowards.

Chick fights are always good to watch:rolleyes:

Back