Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6' 1"- 6' 5"

• OVER 6' 5"

• Total voters

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Question for the people with Gurney Bubbles tht race.

Do they still let you? As your head is obviously above the roll over protection. From memory this type of scenario was outlawed a good few years ago.

think what would be the first thing to hit the ground in a roll over. Sorry pretty messy!

Ian

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Prodigy. IMHO Jamie thats not strictly true .This is a bit of a deviation from the thread BUT....

I'm building one to race and expect to be able to race it two to three times a month on average during the racing season from August through to May.If you haven't already, maybe you should look at joining one of the car clubs in your area that caters for those that want to race. If you've got a car of any sort you can race even if you are too young to hold a road license. There is plenty of opportunity for anyone with a GT40 to race in New Zealand to the extent that some weekends you would have to decide which meeting you preferred to attend. We are very fortunate in this part of the world to have realistic administators so that ownership and enjoyment of vintage and classic cars on our public roads is not subject to the restrictions and beaurocracy that prevails in many places overseas and as far as racing goes if your car complies with basic safety requirements there are heaps of opportunities to race anything. Not only race meetings but also hillclimbs, sprints, bent sprints. If it is road registered then also there are tarmac rallys (and gravel of course) plus the likes of the Dunlop Targa New Zealand run over a week and involving around 1000 km of full bore closed road special stages. Plus several other shorter Targa events. A GT40 would be awesome in these. Get involved in a club. If you haven't got a car the clubs always welcome people to help on the day with running the meetings particularly at club level. Over a period of time you will meet many wonderful people, make great friends and rub shoulders with the rich and famous.

I think you will find if you care to do a bit of research that this country far from being a "crap hole" in any respects is actually one of the best countries to live in and if you're into motorsport it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable, affordable and less beaurocratic here than many other places. Ask some of the guys overseas how much it costs to hire their local track for a day. I can hire my local track(3.3km FIA approved international track) for $90 per day unlimitted testing all day. Race meeting entry fees are around $70 for a one day meeting for usually four six lap races plus practice and qualifing. For an International Classic Race meeting at my local track entry fees are $200 for 2 days free practice followed by 2 days of qualifying and racing. This is the premiere clascic meeting of the year in NZ and traditionally has entrants bring their cars from Aussie, Hong Kong, Great Brittan, Canada and the States and they come out year after year after year bringing cars ranging from several F5000's from England to a pretty 1950's european Formula 750 from the States plus numerous Lotus Elans, Porsches, TVR's etc from the other countries. They come out here and they keep coming out here because they know that NZ is a great place to be involved in motorsport.

[ QUOTE ]
Ask some of the guys overseas how much it costs to hire their local track for a day. I can hire my local track(3.3km FIA approved international track) for $90 per day unlimitted testing all day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Road trip!

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
Road trip!

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats the way it used to be Mark- Have you read "Hawkeye". Unfortunately now the enforcement authorities have bought heavily into the argument that " speed kills", not incompetent drivers. More than 50 kph over the limit and you lose your car! No sense of humour at all!
Regards

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Well said Russ. I too hope to race my car when it's finished - NZ is a great place to compete and this year's Southern Festival of Speed (open to all manner of classic and special cars) promises to be a beaut. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I thaught that you could hire out tracks, but i didnt think they would be that cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, What i ment by "crap-hole" was here in NZ we dont have many proper race tracks (i only know of pukekohe [in the north island], are there any more that arnt too far away from auckland???), but i dont think the countrie, in general is crap!

Back