Hello from Mexico...

Hi there, let me introduce myself, I'm Enrique Chiquete from Mexicali Baja, Mexico, a guy that enjoys beer, motorsports, RC racing, model railroads and Airsoft games. One of my most recent obsession/dream is this car that we all here love, the legendary GT40.

It all started a few years ago when I was stunned by the performance and looks of the McLaren F1 so I tried to find a good replica kit on the Internet (silly me) and since this proved to be almost impossible, then I realized that this wasn't what I was looking for. Making replicas of super expensive and super exotic cars implies a lot of compromises to keep it low cost and in a car such as the F1 these are more dramatic.

Sure, I knew about the GT40 before, but I was completely unaware about the history and racing pedigree behind it, after knowing this, I was in love. After reading through this forum I found a lot of information and inspiration from a bunch of talented and GT40-wise people and I thank them truly.

After much reading and research, I've found that the car that I'll be buying when I'm ready is the CAV GT, because to me looks like the perfect street machine and daily driver that I'm looking for, just like Jack Duha's GT40, his approach and setup are an inspiration for my future build.

I'll be buying the CAV GT in kit form, this way I can save in things that require labor, since labor is pretty cheap around here ( I can have a show quality paint job here for around $300 Dls ). I just hope to get it before I get too old to hold a wrench :laugh:

Thanks for reading, regards...

Enrique

Bienvenido Enrique!

Many good people here to help you with your project when you get started. I've never traveled to Baja California Norte and since we have a casa in Los Cabos we naturally go south for our vacations. Enjoy the forum!

Doc Kaler

Welcome to the CAV family Enrique. The CAV is a great choice out of many strong contenders. I think you hit the nail on the head....it really is a great combination of street and road racing machine. Good Luck and like DOC said you'll get a lot of help from this group. Are you getting the car from South Africa and have you been in contact with the US factory rep? Both will be a HUGE help if called upon.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your posts, I'll be calling the CAV guys later, I have some questions for them regarding shipping and import/export things and registration issues.

Since I live just south of California US, I really don't know what's my best bet, buying from the USA or directly from South Africa, one thing on my side is that registration rules are a little bit relaxed here so I don't think its going to be a problem but in the downside I don't know how the import laws are regarding kit cars, I'm wondering how many CAV GT's have been sold here. Thanks for your comments guys :thumbsup:

Back