Hi from a newbie in SW UK

Tim
GTD was going to be my choice, but MDA came along and convinced me otherwise. While I am not a fan of the Gulf colours yours does look great in the photo. Now you may or may not know but Mark of MDA is ex GTD and knows the cars well. If you wanted to change or upgrade your GTD I'm sure Mark would be able to help you. 302s are available and race spec brakes hung on genuine GT40 uprights look fantastic as you can see from my pics; but note, mine is not race spec as my criteria was for a civilised grand tourer for the road. Mark and his team have delivered that in spades.

Tim, popping out of the woodwork!! Nice to see. More down in the SW than thought. Mine is a KVA in the Gulf colours, still being built though. If you are on a trip 'up country' feel free to pop in anytime, I would love to see the car.
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to have a get together of SW Forties when the weather is better? :pepper:

Thanks all, nice to hear from you!

Actually, I prefer the 3.5, mostly because I'm much less worried about frying the engine! I've already got another couple of Rover-powered cars so am pretty familiar with setup and tuning. It also means when I get round to getting a spare engine I can have one to rebuild and still keep everything else on the road!

In spite of probably being the slowest of my cars (with the exception of the V8 Landie!), the GT feels fast and is such great fun - I'm not sure I need it to go faster...... yet!

Mind you, I believe I've said that sort of thing before.....

Tim

P.S. - Murray, do you know you've got an elephant in your garden? I'd heard Tavistock was wild.....

Latest update!
I took my 40 to my old home town of Chippenham today, a round trip of approx 270 miles, the car did not miss a beat and I've just calculated the fuel consumption - are you ready for this, 25mpg, that's not much worse than my Merc S class. I was told with care you could get these things over 20mpg but I never expected anything better from a 5 litre. By the way each leg takes about 2 hours and I did it non stop feeling perfectly comfortable and my 21 year old daughter went to sleep in the passenger seat on the way home, how's that for comfort?:)

Tim, I had forgotten about that photo, I wish it was my back garden!! (Little Governors Camp in the Masai Mara, highly recommended.)
I did like my MGB GT V8, when I had it. Such a loverly motor, highly tunable too.

Chris, I was up around that way today too, visiting relatives around the Swindon area.
Now that is better MPG than I got from my old Magnette, with the 1500 engine in, I am hoping for better with the 1800 I have just fitted. Just goes to show, I doubt if I wil ever get that MPG, just too much lead in the right foot!! :pepper:

Hi Chris, I saw your car a couple of months back whilst at MDA checking out my engine, it is stunning. That colour is beautiful!! Metallic Ink isn't it from dim memory?

Still looking after my licence - no points in 32 years of driving, don't intend to start now. Still I wasn't dawdling either, not much went past me. I am, however an advanced driver so kept it nice and smooth, that makes a huge difference.
Craig, yes the colour is fiat ink black metallic I think it's brilliant too.

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
H Murray, Of course you are invited! I'm in Torquay so a cruise along the seafront always turns heads. For those that asked I've added a few photos showing the "innards" hope you like them.
Hi Chris,

Very nice looking car, and sure it is even better to drive.

Good to see more cars appearing in the South West. If a summer drive was organised I'd be happy to come down too.

Cheers,

Max

Still looking after my licence - no points in 32 years of driving, don't intend to start now. Still I wasn't dawdling either, not much went past me. I am, however an advanced driver so kept it nice and smooth, that makes a huge difference.

No points? In this country? That is an achievement - even down here in the relatively backward South West. If I could recommend a trip to North Wales on holiday? That nice Mr Brunstrom will see you right and fill your license right up for you!

I've always taken the view on fuel economy that if you have to ask, you can't afford it......

Would love to meet up with you all when eternal winter lifts - it's absolutely Baltic this week, I can't seem to get warm. Mind you, it can't be too warm 'cos then the GTD's a bit sweaty - there's no pleasing some people!

Tim

Malcolm

Supporter
On fuel economy, I was on the GP circuit at Silverstone last Saturday. 15 gallons got me 122 miles! It was fun though albeit jolly cold. I doubt I have ever seen 25 mpg on my car, possibly 20 ish.

Tim and Malcom
As I said no points - hopefully never will. There are lots of discussions that go on about how to avoid getting caught speeding, but in my opinion there is only one sure way, don't speed! Roads are for going from A to B and not racing, and this bring me onto Malcom's point, I would not expect 25mpg or even 20 on the track, when I do a track day next year I expect to get less than 15mpg. As the IAM say, it's not what you drive, it's the way that you drive it, I will stick to the speed limits on the road and save the mad stuff for the track. It is good to know however that when I drive to the Nurburgring next year it won't cost the earth to get there.

Max
Looks like we might be getting a West Country gathering at this rate, what a site that would be, perhaps I'll have a think about organising a run for a day taking in the area covered by those interested.
Chris

Gents,

Re a SW gathering, The pub just off J27 ofthe M5 was a pretty decent venue when we had a few meetings last year (ie good car park, fairly central location), I'd do my best to attend especially now my car is on the road.

FWIW I drove around 120 miles in my GT40 yesterday & used just over one full tank of 30ltrs.... works out aroung 18 mpg.......

cheers!

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Max
Looks like we might be getting a West Country gathering at this rate, what a site that would be, perhaps I'll have a think about organising a run for a day taking in the area covered by those interested.
Chris

I think to cover the entire area (e.g. Dorset, Devon & Cornwall) would be too much. With people coming from the extremes of the region (like me, I'm almost into Hampshire!) I would suggest meeting up somewhere more central then all going in convoy along a scenic route, stop for lunch then return. Where in Cornwall are you located Tim?

Something like Paignton to Buddleigh-Salterton & back, along the coast road. Or along the coast road & back via Buckfastleigh, Ashburton etc. Anyone ever taken a '40 across the moor (on the road of course)?

Cheers,

Max

I work in Ashburton, but have never dared take the 40 up there. there are too many tourists looking at sheep and ponies to notice a low slung car like that, before you know it you'd have a 4x4 driving over you!
Like the idea of a coast road drive though, keep the suggestions coming, we have a few months to finalise a date and a route while the bad weather comes and (hopefully) goes.

I'm in St Austell - so pretty much bang in the middle of sunny Cornwall.
Takes about an hour and a bit to Exeter, depends on how many caravans have descended on us......

Tim

So if everyone agrees I will look to arrange an informal day out next year when the weather improves, probably April or May, how about a bank holiday? The meet up at the Pub at M5 J27 sounds possible, and I will look at options for the drive to take in some goods roads and scenery. May I take this opportunity now I've got a good audience to mention my other posting in "The Race Track" section. I intend to go back to the Nordschliefe of the Nurburgring next year; probably June time, I have a few non GT40 drivers interested (BMW Z4, Audi RS4, Saab 95 Aero etc) but would love to see a convoy of GTs cutting through France, Belgium and Germany for a weekend at the Ring. I went about two years ago in a Calibra which was fun, but now want to go back and play with a bigger toy, if anyone is interested please let me know - sorry my passenger seat is already taken
Chris

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
So if everyone agrees I will look to arrange an informal day out next year when the weather improves, probably April or May, how about a bank holiday? The meet up at the Pub at M5 J27 sounds possible, and I will look at options for the drive to take in some goods roads and scenery.

Easter is very early this year, so the weather may not be up to much (but this is England, so who knows...).

No doubt Stoneleigh will be the early May Bank holiday weekend, though club members tend to mostly only go on the Sunday (4th) anyway, but would mean 2 long trips on consecutive days for some (bring it on!).

Then there's the end of May Bank Holiday (26th), but it would nice to have done something before then (if the weather permits). The Bank Holidays may of course be very busy in the holiday/tourist areas.

Don't mind doing some motorway stretch, but it would be nice to get on some other roads too.

I must admit I was thinking April, when is a different matter; perhaps I'll look at the calendar and just pic a date, if everyone interested can make it then we have a start. If the weather turns nasty then we can cancel. Can't be too rigid in these things, got to go with the flow! I have been looking at a route and the coast road from Seaton through to Torbay looks like it could be fun. I am trying to keep the route to less than 100 miles so that we can stop on the way and let the locals and tourists admire our rides. More details to follow when I get round to it.

Back