Hi from a newbie in SW UK

Hi All

Dont you boys meet up more than this, we have a cob club meet every first sunday in the month at the ley arms at kenn, will have to meet all you boys when the gt is completed or pop along to the ley arms one sunday you will be made more than welcome, Andy

Andy
Great to hear from you. As I am still quite new to this I did not know that there was a meet anywhere nearby. I will certainly come along one sunday to see you. I think the issue is that no one really knew how many GT40 owners or potential owners there were in the South West and now they are all coming out of the woodwork. Once again this forum has come up with the goods. Really looking forward to the good weather so I can add some more miles to the 1K I have racked up so far.

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Stuart Watson-Davies (GT40 Enthusiast's Club South West representative) previously organised a monthly meeting (mentioned by Julian in an earlier post) for a while, but think it faded away due to lack of support/turnout. Now though there seems to be so many new '40s appearing in the region maybe it could be ressurected?

For my own part, I never managed to attend but that's because it was a long way for me to travel in an evening & back - I reckoned it would take me 2 hours each way. So leaving at 6ish to get there at 8 would leave an hour or so there to leave & get back home at 11 or after (don't like to wake the neighbours too late!). If I left work early it would possibly make it viable.

Therefore I tend to go to the Hants/Berks regional monthly meetings as this only takes me 40mins. That's the trouble in the SW, everyone's quite spread out - though there is a strong Devon contingent these days. I'm just 'Piggy in the Middle'! ;-)

More than happy to travel down for a long day run at a weekend though, so roll on April...

Max

Stuart Watson-Davies (GT40 Enthusiast's Club South West representative) previously organised a monthly meeting (mentioned by Julian in an earlier post) for a while, but think it faded away due to lack of support/turnout. Now though there seems to be so many new '40s appearing in the region maybe it could be ressurected?

Max

I'd like to add my big thanks to Stuart W-D for building a great car! I hope he's not still regretting selling me it.....

Tim B

Loving the colour scheme Chris, really sets it off!
Quote "Ben, If you are in S Devon and fancy a cruise give me a call, best wait for a dry day though to show off the car at its best to the local boy racers!"

Done and done! Im only in Newton, Ive not seen your car out an about, although i'm relagated to walking at the moment as i'm waiting for a diff for my current transport - should be here tomorrow tho!!!!!!

Ben
Took it through Newton on Wednesday on my way to work, then went down to Wadebridge to visit a supplier. Won't be taking it out again for a week or two now as I will be on hols. If you don't see it you must hear it, whereabouts in Newton are you I could call round some time?
Hope your diff arrived and fitted OK, what is it going into?

For my own part, I never managed to attend but that's because it was a long way for me to travel in an evening & back - I reckoned it would take me 2 hours each way. So leaving at 6ish to get there at 8 would leave an hour or so there to leave & get back home at 11 or after (don't like to wake the neighbours too late!). If I left work early it would possibly make it viable.

Therefore I tend to go to the Hants/Berks regional monthly meetings as this only takes me 40mins. That's the trouble in the SW, everyone's quite spread out - though there is a strong Devon contingent these days.

................................................................................
Max, possibly what did not help, it was held on a mid week night and with many having work commitments found it hard to attend, as you said, now more are around, a new meet could be starded up, maybe pick a date/dates to get everybodys ideas of venue and the best day for club meets, maybe over the easter some time, or the cob club have a meet at the ley arms on the 2nd of march from around 1200 hrs. you all would be welcomed. Andy

Ben
Took it through Newton on Wednesday on my way to work, then went down to Wadebridge to visit a supplier. Won't be taking it out again for a week or two now as I will be on hols. If you don't see it you must hear it, whereabouts in Newton are you I could call round some time?
Hope your diff arrived and fitted OK, what is it going into?

Gutted I missed you!! Didnt hear you though.......;)
Oh yes the diff arrived and has been fitted! LSD rightness! It's been fitted to an E30 325 tourer that ive fitted with a 24v 2.5 from the e34 5 series. Sounds loverly, oh yeah, and it goes quite well an all! 192bhp standard and its got the chops to take a bar of boost later...........:cough: 400rwhp (ish) :cough: Bit of a dog round the edges and the suspension makes driving 'interesting' at the mo but thats for this week! well it keeps me of the streets. Im up along the Ashburton Rd, No 19, TQ12 1UT, If your every up this way your more than welcome and the kettle's always hot!! All hard work things need lubrication! Well thats my excuse ;)

Andy
Didn't get to the Ley Arms on the 2nd - It was Mothering Sunday after all and with a wife and three daughters what were my chances? Maybe next time, I would like to go so will make the effort soon.
Easter is looking possible for a run or a meet, depending on weather, I was booked for moving the mother in law (house to house you understand not just her physically) but that has been brought forward one week, so we don't have much on over Easter. I will check the weather and then look to arrange something informal.

Hi Chris

Yes it was packed at the ley arms, the next meet will be the 6th April, or any another date if you want to meet up. all the best, Andy

Not looking good for the Easter weekend weather wise. Looks like we will have to hold off until another day for a get together and drive :mad: I will keep an eye on the long range forecast and as soon as I see a change I will re-post with an update. hopefully we will get some dry stuff soon.
Still trying to find a date for the Nurburgring too:pepper:

Benjy
You are going to be gutted. I went round your house earlier but you weren't in, took a drive round to Ashburton into paignton and back, missed the rain and gave the GT a good run, she needed it. Hope to catch you next time.

Chris, Choked doesnt cover it!!!!!! Was out helping my friend look over a car. Im going to have a good cry now ;( I'll PM you my mobile, if you can send me a text to warn me for your next jaunt, I'll make sure I'm available! :) I'm home for the next 3.5 weeks (I work in the North Sea), if your out and about in that time.
Glad you missed the rain, did you catch the snow?
Cheers, ben

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I haven't joined in this thread for a while as basically I have been pretty busy (understatement) or away, and will be most of April and the start of May. This does include the annual pilgrimage to Stoneleigh though, so maybe see some of you there, if not before.

Cheers,

Max

Maxiboy, When is the Stoneleigh show? I thought I'd missed it as Mark and the MDA crew were there the week before Easter, but I was busy. Was that another show?
If I'm free I would love to make the trip up for a show like Stoneleigh. Let me know please.

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Maxiboy, When is the Stoneleigh show? I thought I'd missed it as Mark and the MDA crew were there the week before Easter, but I was busy. Was that another show?
If I'm free I would love to make the trip up for a show like Stoneleigh. Let me know please.
National Kit Car Show, Sunday 4th May.

Think what you missed was the Race Retro Motorsport Show, though I have independently heard that it was very good & there were 5 original GT40's (word of mouth so don't flame me if wrong).

Actually The National Kit Car Show at Stoneleigh usually takes place on the Sunday & Monday of the early May bank holiday, but you will find all the GT40 Enthusiasts Club people there on the Sunday as the AGM is to be held there on the Sunday (4th May, 13:00 in the Warwick Complex) as well.

From memory if you take your 40 & enter via the exhibitors entrance you & the car will get in 'free', but you will have to pay £5 per passenger (that would be a maximum of £5 then!).

Cheers,

Max

Thanks Max I will check my calendar, unfortunately these shows always seem to clash with other things the wife (bless her) has organised, and we all know who runs a family :heart: so she may have other plans, I will find out. if I get a pass out I will definitley go, I expect Mark of MDA might want me to fly the flag for him too, which I am always willing to do.rockonsmile

Just had to post! Chris came round and gave me a ride out in his '40......BIG thank you to Chris!!!! Am impressed by the whole setup, it feels very well conected with the road without being 'flighty' or 'a hand-full'. Up till now ive only sat in one at a show, so thats me popping that cherry :)
All I can say is WOW.

Dont really know what else to say.....I feel a bit subdued.........

Apart from another Thank You to Chris ;)

P.S. Anyone got next Sat's winning numbers????

Last edited:
Max, possibly what did not help, it was held on a mid week night and with many having work commitments found it hard to attend, as you said, now more are around, a new meet could be starded up, maybe pick a date/dates to get everybodys ideas of venue and the best day for club meets, maybe over the easter some time, or the cob club have a meet at the ley arms on the 2nd of march from around 1200 hrs. you all would be welcomed. Andy

Andy,
If Tiverton is a bit far to make Stuart Watson-Davies' meetings, you could alway start a Devon/Cornwall group yourself with Benjy and Chris Headon.
If set up, we would publicise your arrangements in the magazine and on the website, so you could collect passing trade - from the website particularly. People who go to area meetings aren't expected to be Enthusiasts Club members, though the organiser obviously has to. Most people who attend more than a couple of times usually join, though, because there is a lot to be gained from being a member, not least the magazine.
Contact me (you are the only member - Data Protection Act and all that), and I will send contact details for other Club members in the area to form a nucleus.

Back