how are these to drive(not race)

The SPF street GT40s have sturdy steel self-contained gas tanks inside the original design side sills(which are of sturdy steel ribbed design themselves) which the original GT40 race cars did not have. While the SPF GT40 street car fuel tanks don't have ballistic fuel cell bladders the SPF GT40 track racecars do, they appear capable of withstanding even severe impacts and should be much safer than the original cars that placed fuel bags inside the side sills alone.

I have several racecars that use fuel cells, and I personally prefer the steel tank within the steel side sill arrangement of my SPF Mk1 street car. Fuel cells are expensive, prone to leaks, and a PITA to work on and change. For a street car, the SPF arrangement is safe and the best overall compromise IMHO.

Jack

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Guys

I think if we are all honest with ourselves the last thing that went through our minds when we thought about or started to build our 40's was " is this or can this be a practical car".

I believe that everyone of us is in love with the 40 for all the reasons that made it great and truth be told we could not care less how impractical it is.

For day to day driving and family needs we have other cars and the 40 is just there to satisfy the inner boy in all of us.

All I know is that my inner boy is very satisfied.

Dimi

Dalton

Going by your new avatar picture I see the wife has left you.

Dont tell me you got the altermatim ,its me or the car.

Sorry mate

Jim

Last edited:
Hi Jim, Have you got that 40 registered yet?
I still have the wife, and to be fair she has happily driven with me on holidays in a sports car (not a 40). Unfortunately she bought a turbo-diesel Golf and it is so easy to drive, so torquey, and so economical (gets another 50km if you merely go past a service station), that it's hard to prise her out of it.
To get back to the thread, a GT40 can be built to be quite pleasant as a touring car (and obviously lots of fun), but will never be in the same catagory as a diesel Golf. And this is the point.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
The SPF street GT40s .... should be much safer than the original cars that placed fuel bags inside the side sills alone.

I have several racecars that use fuel cells, and I personally prefer the steel tank within the steel side sill arrangement of my SPF Mk1 street car. ...for a street car, the SPF arrangement is safe....

Given the original question "how are these to drive (not race)" I think a more relevant comparison is to a modern safety-standards-meeting street car. And to see how well they do, see what happens to a street car here:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/race-track/32331-fuel-cell-fire-system.html

The SPF street GT40s have sturdy steel self-contained gas tanks inside the original design side sills(which are of sturdy steel ribbed design themselves) which the original GT40 race cars did not have. While the SPF GT40 street car fuel tanks don't have ballistic fuel cell bladders the SPF GT40 track racecars do, they appear capable of withstanding even severe impacts and should be much safer than the original cars that placed fuel bags inside the side sills alone.

Jack

I recon on full tanks if you had a side impact it will blow the filler hoses off or split a seam.
If you crush the tank to 1/2 its size the fuel will hydraulic and find a way out that being the easiest path.
No car of this nature will have passenger car safety features.

Getting back to the original question ,Daily drive ,depends how you build it but were are you going to park.

Jim

Back