How long until the Ford GT sells @ MSRP?

Very soon - how many of the Ebay or dealer cars have actually sold - it seems like very few - I'll wager that next summer list will be easy - all the 'flippers' will have been burnt - 'will it ever' : how many cars have ever not sold below list - especially when there are several thousand of them - the market for USD 150000 plus cars will implode in the next few years as there are not 100,000 buyers per year of new cars in that market contrary to manufacturer forecasts - currently the market globally is just 10,000

i'm guessing they have to get at least 500 into the hands of owners before stuff really calms down. maybe even as many as 1,000 if they're lucky. saturation occurs somewhere in the 1,xxx space and they're buildling 3,500 or so total (nearly all for the US).

early production is clearly going very slowly. presumably it'll ramp up and i presume we should hit 1,500 by the end of Q2'05 - by the end of Q3'05 at the latest, right?

unless they come to their senses and pull back production from 3,500 to 2,000 or so. then it'll be an entirely different ball game.

also, there are strong rumors that this isn't the only flavor of GT that's going to come out. if they have subsequent "better" versions (within this very tight timeframe of total production before the new federal crash laws go into effect) then the "base" car is going to be negatively impacted (i wonder how well FoMoCo groks elasticity at these price points - i hope they do this right).

doody.

I recently spoke at length with a dealer. They would not entertain any offers of under $200K. It seems that while all these dealers get their cars to trickle in, the price will continue to fall. Dealers will be kicking themselves by not selling for a quick profit sooner when they had over MSRP offers. I wouldn't be suprised if the car can be had for under MSRP in late 05 or early 06. As was mentioned above, there are a huge amount of cars at around $100-150K. No matter how you look at it, the car is very expensive. I was hoping that the costs would have been under $100K.

I also heard of 'power' upgrades in the future. I'm going to wait it out and see if there is a gulf colored version next year...or maybe I'll get an ERA.

In about a year. The number of Ford GT's for sale asking over msrp. is too high IMO for that not to happen. The same thing happened with the Gallardo. You can now buy one of those for under msrp. Porsche CGT's are backing up as well.
The number of 200K+ car buyers is not infinite as Rolls and Maybach are finding out. Those two are a disaster.

And if there turns out to be a technical problem (or two as rumoured on the Carrera GT's), then below MSRP will come fast. That has certainly contributed to the Carrera price drop since most people research a $500k car purchase!

Hopefully that doesn't happen to the Ford GT, but given the technology integration in the new cars, systems related failures seem more likely than 10, 20 or 30 years ago. I think most of us sense this in our gut (which is part of the old cars "basic" appeal). People will say that the car was tested and tested but there is nothing like real world driving.

One of Houston's Benz dealer's has had a Maybach (short) on the showroom floor for nearly 9 months. They still insist on sticker.

My old boss is an amigo of Ford's CFO and recently received his car for MSRP but that probably doesn't count.

Chuck
ERA 2064

Back