How many times did you remove engine?

I'm taking everyone's advice and buying an engine hoist since can't find any used ones around my area...and do like Bill suggested and start doing stuff like flipping intake, etc...

Any particular brand of engine hoist anyone can recommend? Since I don't have the car here yet, I'm unsure if it'll work for the SLC. Here's a few I was looking at, but open to suggestions for sure!

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200640933_200640933

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200640934_200640934

Access Denied

Amazon.com: Dragway Tools 2 Ton Folding Hydraulic Engine Hoist Cherry Picker Shop Crane Hoist Lift: Everything Else

Dont know why the TSC link says that, but it still works fine. Thanks for any and all help!

Since an engine hoist takes up a lot of room in your garage and you will hopefully only use it once, I suggest you rent one when you are ready to drop your power-train in the SLC. Many rental hoists break down into chunks that fit into your car for transport home.

There is lots of room in the SLC engine compartment so the motor/trans drop-in quickly. From lift-off to bolt-down, my power-train was installed in less than an hour. That means a 1 day hoist rental...very cheap!

It would be even better if you have a buddy who will lend his hoist (and take it back).

When I was preparing the motor/trans (before installation), I kept it on a dolly like the PIC below. Its rated at 1000lbs and cost $15 at Northern Tool. Your engine/trans combo should weigh 500-600lbs.

I used this same dolly to wheel around the engine/trans combo for my last 2 kit car builds and its plenty tough.

41697_700x700.jpg

Last edited:
Since an engine hoist takes up a lot of room in your garage and you will hopefully only use it once, I suggest you rent one when you are ready to drop your power-train in the SLC. Many rental hoists break down into chunks that fit into your car for transport home.

There is lots of room in the SLC engine compartment so the motor/trans drop-in quickly. From lift-off to bolt-down, my power-train was installed in less than an hour. That means a 1 day hoist rental...very cheap!

It would be even better if you have a buddy who will lend his hoist (and take it back).

When I was preparing the motor/trans (before installation), I kept it on a dolly like the PIC below. Its rated at 1000lbs and cost $15 at Northern Tool. Your engine/trans combo should weigh 500-600lbs.

I used this same dolly to wheel around the engine/trans combo for my last 2 kit car builds and its plenty tough.

41697_700x700.jpg

I actually have a couple smaller versions of that type of dolly I bought from HF to move my motorcycle lift into the shop by myself. I considered using them for moving the engine from end of my driveway to the shop (if comes in 18 wheeler trailer), but I think I've talked myself into an engine hoist now since I've realized they can fold up and out of the way. I think I'll find other uses for it over the years, so don't even think I'll sell it when done.

Good to know the SLC has plenty of room to slide the engine/trans in so dimensions of any really shouldn't be a concern. Now just to figure out if I want to get one shipped to my house or go to the store a couple towns over and get one. Sometimes it sucks living in small town. :) I think I'm leaning towards the one with the engine leveler, seems like that could make life a little easier when sliding it into position.

I'm starting to get excited my time is almost here and ramping up shop time to get everything ready!

One step closer to that 525hp. I'll order the engine today and I should be able to put the crate on the dolly as Bill suggested (thank you sir!) till I get a chance to put the hoist together.

IMG_20170423_180826.jpg

IMG_20170423_185759.jpg

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Del,
How many times do you remove an engine?.......As many times as you need to.

There are sooooo many things you need to think about and finalize before you install your engine permanently, and it is a lot easier to do them if you are sitting on a stool in the engine bay versus trying to bend over and work around and engine that allows you no clearance to do so.

You may not need a dolly, depending upon where you order your engine.

I just ordered another LS376/525 for my newest project. For the second time, they had to back the truck down a hill to the location and unload it....no problem, even with the free shipping. Of course I wasn't home at the time and my wife dealt with it, and I came home from the office to see this box(s) sitting on the floor of my "build garage.".....The engine hoist and engine stand are waiting in the background.......again.

Do you actually think you are going to build one car and never build another one again?

Wishing you the best with your build,
David

Attachments

• 20170423_172318_1493085283809_resized.jpg
    20170423_172318_1493085283809_resized.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 219
  • 20170423_172241_resized.jpg
    20170423_172241_resized.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 264
Hi Del,
How many times do you remove an engine?.......As many times as you need to.

There are sooooo many things you need to think about and finalize before you install your engine permanently, and it is a lot easier to do them if you are sitting on a stool in the engine bay versus trying to bend over and work around and engine that allows you no clearance to do so.

You may not need a dolly, depending upon where you order your engine.

I just ordered another LS376/525 for my newest project. For the second time, they had to back the truck down a hill to the location and unload it....no problem, even with the free shipping. Of course I wasn't home at the time and my wife dealt with it, and I came home from the office to see this box(s) sitting on the floor of my "build garage.".....The engine hoist and engine stand are waiting in the background.......again.

Do you actually think you are going to build one car and never build another one again?

Wishing you the best with your build,
David

Thanks for the pictures, it's good to see what to expect. I fully expect to build another car, have a feeling it'll be kind of addicting and plus the 2nd time around is always easier and more confidence.

I'm glad I bought the hoist now, I don't plan on selling it and pretty sure I'll find other uses for it over the years so won't go to waste. I think removing it several times will end up happening for one reason or another, especially if I have the hoist right there. It seems fairly easy to remove and install, just have to invest the time. :)

Good luck with your builds!

I never updated. Put it together and worked as expected. I think the engine leveler that came with it will come in handy when the transaxle is attached. I swung from the hoist so least it can hold 180lbs. :)

There is one last question on this topic. How is everyone lifting up their engines? Do you use chain and bolts on the cylinders? Or did you buy a lift plate? I'm torn between which direciton to go. Lift plate looks safer, but the added headache of putting the intake on/off. Bolts and chains I think would eliminate that, but won't be as secure.

Thoughts?

For me, a life plate proved to be the way to go. When the car guys next door to my shop saw me starting to use bolts and chains, they stopped me knowing from experience that the valve covers would get scratched, or something else bad would happen. The life plate proved to be painless and predictable.

Attachments

• IMG_3756.JPG
    IMG_3756.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_3787.JPG
    IMG_3787.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 241
I'm kinda of leaning that way, rather be safe than sorry.....especially with my luck. I have the same engine hoist, I like how you secured the transaxle and will likely follow your lead on that. Thanks for the pictures, I always love seeing pictures of building this car.

I couldn't help but notice your valve covers. Is that real carbon fiber or hydrodipped? Either way they look slick!

The valance covers and the cross ram air intake are real carbon fiber. I plan to make a heat shield over the headers to direct the heat to the rear of the valves covers. KaTech provided the valve covers.

Back