I want a divorce!

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Clearly the US hated FDR:

1932: Roosevelt won 57% of the vote and carried all but six states.
1936: Roosevelt won 60.8% of the vote and carried every state except Maine and Vermont.
1940: Roosevelt won the 1940 election with 55% of the popular vote and 38 of the 48 states.
1944: Roosevelt won 53% of the vote and carried 36 states, against New York Governor Thomas E. Dewey.

Those were war years and people had not been brainwashed by the press to quite the same extent as they are now.

BTW,

I don't think that there was anything biased about that post what-so-ever. If each side got exactly what they wanted, you'd pretty much see a split just as outlined above.

I'm all for it. You libs can have California, it's been ruined anyway.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Chris --

You said: "You radical conservatives are so funny. You forget who was president when Pearl Harbor was attacked."

And I said: "No I remember, it was FDR. But I don't think it's fair for you to blame it on him."<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

And you said: :huh:

That was a witticism, of the ironic variety. Never mind.

So let me try a different and more direct tack: Let's pretend for the moment I'm a "radical conservative". What does "who was president when Pearl Harbor was attacked" have to do with anything in this thread?

And even if I had "forgotten" that, how would that be relevant?

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Well, no, but when you consume a steady diet of Fox News all day you might believe something like I guess.

BTW,

I don't think that there was anything biased about that post what-so-ever. If each side got exactly what they wanted, you'd pretty much see a split just as outlined above.

I'm all for it. You libs can have California, it's been ruined anyway.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Well, no, but when you consume a steady diet of Fox News all day you might believe something like I guess.

+1, Jeff!

As I see it, it's not so much an issue of liberal vs conservative, it's an issue of moderates vs radicals.

Radical "right" and radical "left" inhabit the same location on the "circle". Both seem to worship FNN!!

Doug

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I agree. I am certainly centrist of left of center on most things, but I hate the whacked out left as much as anyone. Yes, people should work. No, government can't fix everything. Etc.

I find less and less of the moderate right anymore. The right of Rockefeller, or even William F. Buckley and George Will. The right of today (which unfortunately seems well represented here on this board) are as polarized as some of the crazies in the 70s and 80s who fractured the mainstream Democtractic Party.

Chris --

You said: "You radical conservatives are so funny. You forget who was president when Pearl Harbor was attacked."

And I said: "No I remember, it was FDR. But I don't think it's fair for you to blame it on him."<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

And you said: :huh:

That was a witticism, of the ironic variety. Never mind.

So let me try a different and more direct tack: Let's pretend for the moment I'm a "radical conservative". What does "who was president when Pearl Harbor was attacked" have to do with anything in this thread?

And even if I had "forgotten" that, how would that be relevant?

Thank you, but I don't need anyone to hold my intellectual hand. That was in response to the typical anti-liberal drivel about how liberals are all peacenicks and don't "believe in war." Liberals believe in war when absolutely necessary and going directly at the enemy. The point was, the shocking truth is that a democratic president actually got us into a VERY BIG war. The other part of that point - and the reason why I brought it up is that it was the last truly justifiable war we fought. I'm not praising FDR, I'm not praising anyone. Repubs apparently love war, even if it is not very justifiable. They also love Jesus. Jesus did not advocate violence. I don't think he would have any problems with us joining WWII - because it was necessary for our own immediate defense. Besides, look at what Jesus truly was and what he represented - he'd be a LIBERAL!

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
The warmakers of the 20th and 21st century:

WW1 -- Wilson (Democrat)
WW2 -- FDR-Truman (Democrats)
Korea -- Truman-Eisenshower (Democrat-Republican)
Vietnam -- Kennedy-Johnson-Nixon (Democrat-Democrat-Republican)
Gulf I -- Bush I (Republican)
Gulf II -- Bush II-Obama (Republican-Democrat)

Not sure any conclusion can be drawn from that....

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Looked like a hippy, was poor, smelled bad, a drunk (could turn water into wine), hung out with hookers, hated the moneychangers, thought it more like that a camel go through the eye of a needle than a rich man enter heaven, etc. etc.

There's some pretty radical stuff in the New Testament.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
a democratic president actually got us into a VERY BIG war.

Oh, so you really DID mean it was FDR's fault. That certainly explains why you didn't think my joke was funny.

I always thought it was the Japanese who "got us into the war" but I guess it's a question of what your rhetorical objective is. I don't find trend analysis of past presidents to be a useful guide for political decision making, so the thought never occurred to me. In fact, I think the whole people in category a vs. those in category b discussion this thread has turned into is silly. That is, it started out funny (thank you Al, I'll make good use of that post), but now it's just internal name calling, which is silly without being funny.

+1, Jeff!

As I see it, it's not so much an issue of liberal vs conservative, it's an issue of moderates vs radicals.

Radical "right" and radical "left" inhabit the same location on the "circle". Both seem to worship FNN!!

Doug

Excuse me, but who are either of you to presume where we get the news and what stations it is on? It is not the conservatives that are radically trying to change the USA, it's the liberals. More social programs, immigration, etc. Who are you to decide what is good for us?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Excuse me, but who are either of you to presume where we get the news and what stations it is on? It is not the conservatives that are radically trying to change the USA, it's the liberals. More social programs, immigration, etc. Who are you to decide what is good for us?

Well, Al, for one I have a college degree in broadcast journalism, specializing in radio/TV production, as well as a second major in psychology. I am a vociferous observer, and it has been my observation that the radical conservative drivel I see on FNN appeals just as much to the "radical conservative" as to the "radical liberal"....most of whom (and I do personally know quite a few individuals who would describe themselves as "conservative", if not "radical conservative") seem to get the majority of their news from FNN and seem to ignore the more "unbiased" sources of news ("...just the facts, ma'am"). FNN has become the self-appointed opposition to the current administration, and in having done so has lost all credibility to those who prefer their news without editorial coloration.

We can agree to disagree about who it is that is trying to change the nation. Keep in mind that Bee-OH was elected by a MAJORITY of voters in the U.S. (unlike Gee-Dub, who simply won courtesy of his brother, Jeb). IMHO, that means that the majority of the country is probably fairly happy with the way things are being run....but those who are not are surely making a fuss about it all, aren't they? This thread is excellent evidence of that (not that I didn't enjoy your "divorce petition"....just didn't agree with much of what you had to say). In my observation, the "radical conservative" minority is dissatisfied with what is happening in the U.S. and is the contingent that is trying to bring about the changes, not the liberals. Just IMHO, based on observation and a lifelong skepticism that precludes me from believing everything I read or hear. I once asked a good "radical conservative" friend what Bee-OH might be able to say that would change his opinion of him, his response was something to the effect of "Well, Doug, if it doesn't agree with my opinion, nothing he could say would make any difference". He's entitled to his opinion, it just seems to me that an unwillingness to listen with an open mind is a prejudiced, if not bigoted, attitude...not entirely admirable :thumbsdown: to me!

As for who IS to "...decide what is good for us", it is the MAJORITY of those who vote in the U.S.A. That is what democracy is all about, rule by the majority. It's OK to be a member of the "vocal minority"....no issues with that.....but don't delude yourself that you know what is right for the country when you ARE in the minority--those choices are made by the majority. We shall see what happens in the upcoming elections....I, like you, foresee some significant realignments within the political arena, and I sincerely hope that the multitude of "sides" can agree to a peaceful co-existence, but at this time it's all hope and speculation, based on what I am observing.

One thing is for sure....this political situation sure has excited more strong emotion than most I've seen in my 61 years on this earth (with the possible exception of Nixon's transgressions).

Doug

They also love Jesus. Jesus did not advocate violence. I don't think he would have any problems with us joining WWII - because it was necessary for our own immediate defense. Besides, look at what Jesus truly was and what he represented - he'd be a LIBERAL!

"I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword" (Gospel of Matthew 10:34)

He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. (Luke 22:35-38)

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Doug -

When I see people trotting out degrees and such I just know that they are really saying is "you guys don't know what the hell you're talking about - so STFU and listen to someone who really knows".

As for FNN being colored.......you don't think that the rest of the mainstream media is also colored? Really? You don't think that Bush got ridden like a rented mule by the rest of the mainstream media when he was POTUS?

As for your "self-appointed" comment - the press is never "appointed". I guess you are just trying to demean FNN. Fact is FNN has become huge on the backs of dumb government - led by Democrats.

I guess we all have our opinions on things - I am comfortable with mine and I can't wait to vote.

I am also realizing that I really hate to type inside when I could be outside working on my deck!

I agree with Pat and Al. Will I be forced to give rides in my GT40 to former illegal aliens after O executes an order for them to get amnesty? After all, they never had the opportunity to have one.

Back