i'm interested in buying a gt40 at auction? help a newbe

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Sunset Classics:

johnsnell.jpg

St. Paul/Minn area.

If he sold SPF GT40s for $50K, how would he pay his salon?

You asked a question to get advice and in my opinion you got great and useful advice, but I do not see the competition. I am a newbie here and when I need advice I welcome all comments good and bad because I made a mistake when I bought my Ferrari and I do not want to make the same mistake again. I can't wait to start my GT40 build, but since I am far from being fortunate I will have to wait a couple more years to have the car that I really want and not settle for second choice. I don't know how long you have been searching for a car, but due to past experience I can say do your homework, take time even if it takes a couple years to get the right car and don't settle for second choice. Good luck

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
what if it was bought an then repoed and now the bank has it.

i dont believe sunset classics owns this anymore.

yes i'm dreaming i know. not quite as fortunate as some of you.

Ryan --

Sorry but I am not at all sympathetic to your point of view.

I don't believe in "getting rich quick" or that banks are idiots or that I'm going to win the lottery or that dreaming is going to make me anything but well-rested. I think being "fortunate" is mostly a question of education and hard work. Or to paraphrase another saying, "The harder I work the more fortunate I get."

But most of all, for me to encourage someone who with $70K would take a "sweet vette" instead of a GT40 to go ahead and acquire a GT40 anyway as an "investment" would be the worst kind of travesty to the marque and to the spirit of this forum that I could commit. I despise that mentality and the commodity brokers that practice it with collectible vehicles. I have no interest in speaking "GT40" with anyone but people who appreciate their essence and history.

If you run into whoever ends up winning the auction, please encourage them to join us. They will probably fit right in.

Last edited:
i appreciate what your saying. after pondering it i would rather have a gt40 instead of the vette. the 40's more attractive and rare. i'm sure its twice as much fun to drive and i'm sure it gets all the looks.

i aslo respect your talk about being fortunate. i consider myself fortunate in many respects, i've also like you worked very hard to get where i am...working 2 jobs since age 13 my average weekly hours prob add up to 70hrs a week. I try to work smart not hard tho. So i know where your comming from there. not if i could just get the govt from taking half my $ i'd be set! :) :)

Ryan --

Sorry but I am not at all sympathetic to your point of view.

I don't believe in "getting rich quick" or that banks are idiots or that I'm going to win the lottery or that dreaming is going to make me anything but well-rested. I think being "fortunate" is mostly a question of education and hard work. Or to paraphrase another saying, "The harder I work the more fortunate I get."

But most of all, for me to encourage someone who with $70K would take a "sweet vette" instead of a GT40 to go ahead and acquire a GT40 anyway as an "investment" would be the worst kind of travesty to the marque and to the spirit of this forum that I could commit. I despise that mentality and the commodity brokers that practice it with collectible vehicles. I have no interest in speaking "GT40" with anyone but people who appreciate their essence and history.

If you run into whoever ends up winning the auction, please encourage them to join us. They will probably fit right in.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
If you really can afford $70K for a 'Vette, you may be in luck. We've seen CAV GT40's go in that range recently at one of the more prestigous auctions.....take a look at this thread:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/all-gt40/32044-hi-just-bought-gt-40-auction.html

It's a buyers market these days....while you may not get that SPF for $70K, you can get this one for just a bit more (and, judging from the response the members have give the build, it's one of the nicest we've seen in a long time):

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-cars-sale/31559-rcr-gt40-14-sale-2.html

Again, good luck, and if you really want a 40, I'd suggest you can find one for $70K if you keep your eyes open for a good deal!

Cheers from Doug

There are currently 2 nice 40s for sale in CA that I know of.one is just under $70,000 and the other is well under. One is blue with white stripes and the other is an Essex Wire clone (white with red stripe and black accents). If you are serious contact Chris about the Essex clone. He has it priced low. It is the white one in the back, There are much better pics in the cars for sale section.

Last edited:
Ryan, that would be a mistake...to stop dreaming I mean. All of us who bought our cars I would assume dreamed of owning one. Some on this sight have original GT40's (now thats a dream!!) But overall the info stated by members to your request for help have been spot on. There are some great buys out there right now. Chris' car (the essex wire car) is one example but if you want a balls to the wall car then the RCR car for sale by Pantera 1886 is a great buy too. Patience is the key. Search for the car within your budget, research it, ask members on this forum if they know of the car and its history and then go for it. Last year I dreamed, saved, sold a car, searched, looked, researched, and bought. It was time consuming tedious but overall fun and when I open my garage door and see my yellow GT40 sitting in the garage I'm a very happy guy. Once bought though its been a peaks and valley adventure so be warned. These are not "mass produced" vehicles so you better be ready for some days and nights of frustraton. If your looking for an everyday exotic the GT40 can fill a part of your dream but you will have a few nightmare moments. I'm sure you're aware of that though right?

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Ryan,

I understand your situation, there's a lot of really good mass produced cars out there for 70,000 or less, used. Vettes, Porsches, Mercedes, unfortunately NO GT40 replicas of high specification. A well sorted CAV, SPF, ERA, RCR will drive extremely well and actually feel like a production vehicle in terms of stability and road manners. But this comes at a price.

You can buy GT40s with tube chassis (not monocoque), Getrag or Renault transaxles and a fairly tame 302 engine occasionally under 70k, however it's fair to say that anyone who owns a car like this, that is well sorted, will not part with it for under 70K either.

Why is that? Because whether it's a monocoque or tube car, monster motor or stock, Getrag or ZF, Webers or 4bbl, you simply can't buy the parts to build a running GT40 for 50k, sorry can't be done. Add to that the assembly and some professional assistance (you'll need it) plus paint and your well over 70k doing it mostly yourself. That's a modest spec car too.

As has been mentioned earlier, the SPF cars popping up for sale right now are absolute bargains, get one while you can. Once this batch of loose cars are gone, the market will go up, that's not speculation or manipulation just the reality of what these cars cost to build. I don't doubt for a minute there's 143k in the SPF GT40Mk11 in question.

When seriously considering a GT40 replica, you're looking at a legitimate 200mph car, not a dune buggy or Cobra built with a Mustang donor drivetrain and suspension. Just two headlights and a windsheild for the GT40 cost more than a transmission for the Mustang.

So these really aren't kits in the classic sense of the word, rather component race cars that you decide on the specs for, build yourself or have built, or buy the best you can.

Forget everything you know about kit cars, doesn't apply here. On the plus side, there are good project cars out there you could start a build on and ulitmately end up with the car of your dreams, one you won't see twelve more of at the local car show and something that will retain it's value for years to come (vs production car depreciation).

Please hang in there, GT40s are only for the guys who really appreciate the machinery and want a unique and significant car. The GT40s Forum is chock full of members who'll help out a newbie on any build issue that comes along, welcome aboard.

Cheers

Ian

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,

Those numbers for the SPF MKII may be a little high. I ordered mine in early 2008 and it was finnished in AUG 2008. Its a SPF MKI, with an RBT ZF and a Roush 302, professionally installed all done including California tax it came to $110,000.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Jim,

Sounds like you have a great car there.

While this car could be slightly inflated (show me the bills) there is the Roush 427IR to consider, yeah guys have said it's overpriced, but it works, the maps are right on and Roush spent a ton of money getting it right, that's why the EFI is a 10K option over the 4bbl.

Then there's the signatures, Roush, Shelby. Also is this one of the limited batch of Shelby authorized Mk11s? In the beginning these cars took a lot of time to sort, maybe just maybe the guy's in that deep. Won't get it out right now, but it is a great car non the less.

Cheers

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
I looked at Superformance / Roush and it went something like this...

Roller GT40 MK1 - $79K
Spcl Paint - $3K
RBT 5spd - $13K
Roush 353IR - $25K (in GT40 trim and mildly dressed up)
Clutch, Bellhousing, starter, etc. - 2K
Installation (FI sorting) - $9K

Total $131K

Doesn't surprise me if he's north of there with personalizations...

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The blue car is half the price of the SPF one. It will be just as much fun. You can paint it if you don't like the color. Find one for sale at a price that is in your ballpark, which is within driving distance, and go drive it and look at it. These are not for everyone. The kind of driver who wants a Corvette, which is a very civilized car compared to a GT40, will in all likelihood not want to drive a GT40 more than a time or two. The uses of the two cars are quite different- you can get the groceries in a Vette, you can go on long trips in a Vette, you can get a Vette serviced at a Chevy dealer (if there are any left), etc.

What you can't do in a Vette is stop traffic, pretend you are Jacky Ickx, or go to a track day and have everyone look at you even though the pits are full of race cars. And if your car is hot that day and you are a good driver, they will have reason to look at you. As for Sunday mornings at the donut shop, there will be twenty Vettes there, and one GT40 or NO GT40s. So if you want practicality, within reason, get a Vette. If you want to drive your dream (and even dreams have their difficult moments) get a GT40.

And don't look back. No one's gaining on you, anyway :)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
There are a million things you can do in 'other cars' that you cannot do in a gt 40.
Thats where it becomes one of a kind.

Back