Is it worth it

G

Gordon, you build a fine car, you're a hell of a driver, and I agree with those who cite the GT40's superiority, as stated previously. Someday I hope to be able to swing one of your cars.

As for others' remarks about cheap interiors, staight-line handling, and now endowment (!?), even the guy who started this thread didn't fire cheap shots at you. I'd appreciate it if you'd stick to discussing cars on the merits, and leave the gratuitous slaps out of it. Look, I respect your choices, and would appreciate it if you would at least do the same. Is a Z06 better than a GT40? Of course not, for lots of reasons, but I could afford it. Is the Z06 a bargain, especially considering its capabilities? Yes, for lots of reasons, but I will be able to afford a good GT40 replica someday, and I'll buy it.

TT

Can some body tell me what the **** is a Z06 as i am a brit !!!!!!
regards Dick
cool.gif
cool.gif
grin.gif

G

Dick,

It looks almost exactly like the '99 and '00 Corvette hard tops (as opposed to the coupe, with the glass fast back), and has a higher spec motor, and more heavy duty suspension.

TT

G

Theres some thing out there for every one. I like straight forward machines, like super sevens and gt40s. These new cars have too many electronics, electric windows and the engines are difficult to work on. On some of them its a days work to change the spark plugs. Then when they get older all these electronics, go to hell. I have seen some of them where you have to replace the whole dash board, there not my cup of tea.

G

Malcom,

Man, have you got that right! It took me several days just to figure out which buttons to push. The check engine light came on when I had to put a different brand of gasoline in it than the one I usually use, then went out when I put the good stuff back in. Both rated 91 octane, both supposed to work. You need a masters degree in electronics before tackling the trouble code system. No doubt about it, cars are so "electronisized" now that we mere mortal home mechanics don't stand a chance.

TT

Well we have quarter miles and tires as performance indicators!
I could be wrong, but an RF40, with 320 clean EPA hp, and 1000 lbs (2205 lbs) dry weight, would match a Viper at 117-118 mph in the quarter, and (gearing permitting) hit around 295-300 kph (180-185 mph). Again, just like a Viper.
As far as grip goes, well my money would be on those Yokohama A032R's.
And, I am quite sure, the RF40 is nothing like as crude to drive as the Viper.
So, even today, this car can hold its own.

:)
Lets hear it for the enthusiast to creates a dream, those who build the dream, and let the others make their own coices

:)

Rob

cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

Bill,
You need to settle down! It is NOT fair to compair a Z06 to Thunderbird.
Obviously you've never hit the bird, ripple or hell though in some OE. Where as Z06s are nice, a Vette will NEVER make you feel like a god the way Thunderbird or Maddog will
tongue.gif

Yes Ron. I think we should organise a search party for DanielD. My guess would be he's gone looking for a corvette to buy and as there are so many of them out there he's become disorietated and confused and may not return for weeks.............only joking regards

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
What a novel thread. Lest we forget that the Z06 designation was derived from the original muscle car era. Technology surely improves the breed. The current interest in nippon fireballs wouldn't be as prevalent if the stable of contemporary supercars weren't reaching the level of unobtainium... Sure the Corvette is a leader in it's field. The unique soul of the GT40, the history of the car, it's relative obscurity, the passion which fueled it's evolution, make it a true enthusiasts mark. There are some great cars out there that have tremendous motorsport history. Few, in my mind, have the mystic of the 40. Going fast, straight line or in the curves, isn't the issue here. Performance, history, passion... Anyone that wants a 40 has a sense of nostalga, an eye towards design, and a desire to drive like stink!

1st post

I have been following this post from the beginning and must say that there exists a clear division on this topic. I am SUPER close to dropping my money on an RF after alot of research and meeting with Gordon in Arizona.

However, $42,000 for the deluxe kit plus extras, $70,000 is very realistic for the finished product. I currently own an Everett Morisson 427 Cobra and would like a new project, but I must say that I too had to consider what else would be available in the $70,000 price range and the benifits of either bulding and paying cash or buying a new Viper and financing.

I am pleased to say that I will buy the RF and build, but other options were definately considered.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Your friend,

Blaine S

Gordon,

I never had any doubt about who would come

out on top! I hope the Z06ers read your post.

Just out of curiousity, what kind of engine

temp did you have while running that Z06 into

the dirt with your A/C on?
Bill
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ April 04, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

No need to get a search party. I'm still here watching the twist and turns with regard to this topic. I like the GT40 or I wouldnt had been investigating the thought of its value. You as owners and builders have already made the investment so I can understand your strong feelings. I'm in no hurry to fork down the cash and am researching. I mentioned the Z06 because it is a package of many good expensive parts if one were to go shopping. The car is well balanced and handles exceptionally well. It is heavy but it is because it was made to contain all the safety and emission items that are currently required, as well as luxary items that in the GT40 most would do without. Someone could take the Z06 strip it of all this stuff put some sort of exotic body kit on and make it perform almost as well as the Ultima car out of the UK. I'm not bashing the GT40.. it may be in my future. But I'm not sure that an Ultima, or some other midengine car wouldnt be just as sweet for less money. I'm not blind to the fact that the Z06 is a front engine vehicle. My interest leans in that direction because of the near perfect weight distribution which is very important in handling. This is only for updating my knowledge.. can someone tell me the weight distribution characteristics of the GT40?? I know there are many other vaiables.. so no need to deal with the umteen variables..

Dan Dinverno

No need to get a search party. I'm still here watching the twist and turns with regard to this topic. I like the GT40 or I wouldnt had been investigating the thought of its value. You as owners and builders have already made the investment so I can understand your strong feelings. I'm in no hurry to fork down the cash and am researching. I mentioned the Z06 because it is a package of many good expensive parts if one were to go shopping. The car is well balanced and handles exceptionally well. It is heavy but it is because it was made to contain all the safety and emission items that are currently required, as well as luxary items that in the GT40 most would do without. Someone could take the Z06 strip it of all this stuff put some sort of exotic body kit on and make it perform almost as well as the Ultima car out of the UK. I'm not bashing the GT40.. it may be in my future. But I'm not sure that an Ultima, or some other midengine car wouldnt be just as sweet for less money. I'm not blind to the fact that the Z06 is a front engine vehicle. My interest leans in that direction because of the near perfect weight distribution which is very important in handling. This is only for updating my knowledge.. can someone tell me the weight distribution characteristics of the GT40?? I know there are many other vaiables.. so no need to deal with the umteen variables..

Dan Dinverno

Now I add my .02 cents. This car is all about passion. You hear phrases like stirs one soul. I cant remember when I saw my first 40, I was around 6 or 7 my grandmother bought me a matchbox car. When I asked her what it was, she replied, its the greatest car ever made.
Now that i have grown up, I have to have this car. Most 40 builders go with the mk1, or a mk1 with a mk2 body. For me, its gotta be correct, and its gotta be manly as well. So my 40 is to be a mk2 with the 7 liter engine. Daniel, I am left with one option, the ERA mk2.
Now to the cost side, my wife, whom I get many hours of enjoyment from, asked me, Is this your died car. This in wife talk means, you hope to be buried in it. Cost is not a consideration, not a care.
To sum up, this is a passon issue, never compromise on that. We do this for the love of the car. This love over the years has taught me that one should never deny it, cause you will always regret it.
Timeless cars, the Auburn Boattial, Countach, GT40, E type, and a few more that escape me at the moment. Now for all you vette owners, the only one I would own is a 63 split window, all the rest are just cars.

kevin

G

Daniel

I may be repeating the same story, but my
best friend has a 67 Vette he drives during
the warm weather months. It's a nice car
but is showing wear after years of use.

I asked him why he doesn't sell it
and buy a used C5 since the C5 will outperform the 67 in every respect for about
the same amount of money.

He said no way because it wouldn't
give him the same "feeling" of pride and
nostalgia. I guess that's why old musclecars
command attention and BIG BUCKS these days.
A lot of people want that old-time feeling.

MikeD

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom T.:
Malcom,

Man, have you got that right! It took me several days just to figure out which buttons to push. The check engine light came on when I had to put a different brand of gasoline in it than the one I usually use, then went out when I put the good stuff back in. Both rated 91 octane, both supposed to work. You need a masters degree in electronics before tackling the trouble code system. No doubt about it, cars are so "electronisized" now that we mere mortal home mechanics don't stand a chance.

TT
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

If you need to figure out codes etc I have found the following tool to be invaluable when diagnosing my 94 Tbird.

Autotap

You can read codes, clear the check engine light and data log while driving. I t gives you access to all the partameters the dealership can read.

David

Lifetime Supporter
Daniel,

If you are looking for beauty, the ONLY Vetts that are in the same category as the GT40 are the mid-year vets! GM has not had a good looking Vett since '67 - personal opinion.

I am in the same boat as you - now looking at the GT40s. The 289 FIA, GT40 and the mid-year Vetts, in my opinion, are the vehicles that have that special intangible "something". (There are a lot of older European cars that fit the bill, but I cannot afford an original and I haven't seen a good reproduction of the Ferrari 275 LM or GTO) The new Z06, and some of the of the late 70 and early 80 Vetts are/were monsters in power and speed, as are today's Vipers, but they don't have that "something" to me - they do to other people, which is great, but not me.

If you need to ask "Are they worth it" and are only talking in a monetary sense, you shouldn't look at the GT40, or anything but the newer vehicles.

Dave Lowell

[ April 05, 2002: Message edited by: Dave Lowell ]

Back