Jag XJ13

Chuck

Supporter
Alas, no XJ13 at Peeble Beach . . . . But an abundance of Ferraris, including 23 of the 39 GTOs ever produced. No GT40s either, at Pebble Beach or Laguna Seca. Still unforgetable events.

Chuck

Supporter
This is a bit random, but will throw it out there anyway in case anyone is contemplating Webers on their Jag V12.

Pierce Manifolds now has a kit that includes the manifolds, IDF carbs and parts to fab the linkage for $2800 to $3000.

The manifolds are from Mangoletsi.

The set up looked very nice when we saw it at Laguna Seca last weekend.

FYI

Attachments

• JagWeber3.JPG
    JagWeber3.JPG
    533.9 KB · Views: 468
  • JagWeber1.jpg
    JagWeber1.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 366
Peter Wilson's long-awaited new book on the XJ13 is at the
production stage and can be pre-ordered. Details here:

Jaguar XJ13 Book Details

I must emphasise I have absolutely no commercial connection
with Peter Wilson or Paul Skilleter - I only mention this in
case it is of interest to fellow hardcore XJ13 enthusiasts.

Chuck

Supporter
Neville

Thanks for the link. Spent a pleasant evening reading every single word. Such an excellent update. Duplicating the original before the rebuild will make your project even more unique.

Still weighing options, so no progress on this end. While at Laguna Seca / Pebble Beach we saw original C Type and D Type as well as a very impressive reproduction of a C Type. Their simplicity has a certain appeal.

Keep the posts and updates coming.

Chuck

I completely understand the attraction of the C-Type. I did have one until quite recently (the new owner lives in Spain and keeps upsetting me by telling me how wonderfully sunny it is there and how good it is to drive the car along the coast ... grrr). The car had to go to help fund my project.

It wasn't a particularly accurate replica - made by Proteus in plastic with Jaguar XJ6 underpinnings. But I loved it! After a few seasons of racing it was well sorted and made an excellent road car (as long as it didn't rain). Didn't need a heater as I had a six-cylinder motor close to me. One of the good things about it was its mechanical reliability and simplicity - all very understandable. If something went wrong all I needed in my toolbox was a screwdriver and big hammer (only kidding but you get my drift). But perhaps some owners of GT40s enjoy them for these reasons also?

Keep in touch.

Jaguars do have soul. I was in the Jaguar Drivers' Club here for many years (had a Series 1 1/2 roadster) and at one National Concourse the late Jumbo Goddard had his D Type. It had been converted for rallying, and was a bit XKSS. Jumbo and his wife, not young, drove it there in the middle of winter from Sydney to Canberra. Excuse the poor quality pics but these are from 30+ years ago.

Attachments

• Jag_Concourse.jpg
    Jag_Concourse.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 386
WARNING - may contain items for terminally-afflicted XJ13 enthusiasts ;)

I have been gradually sifting through my most recent acquisition - a collection of personal files from the late Claude Baily of Jaguar. Baily, as many of you will already know, was one of the prime architects of the legendary XK engine as well as the quad-cam V12.

I have just posted some hitherto unknown and unpublished material relating to the XK and later V12. I hope you find it of interest.

Jaguar XJ13 | How many quad-cam V12s were built and where are they now?

I would appreciate any recollections/additions etc

Neville
Of course I am addicted to your blog and I read it before I came lurking here. Fantastic stuff as usual. I expect to be bugging you soon with questions about dimensions etc. Although my car is certianly not a true replica like yours I want to try to remain true where ever possible. I will try to compensate you with some nice photos of the project :drunk:

Chuck

Supporter
Neville

Fascinating stuff. Thanks for the link/post. Looking forwards to getting my hands on the new book.

Chuck

XJ13 at the NEC

Pictures of TWR XJ13 at the NEC classic car show, sorry about the quality

Attachments

• NEC2011 047.jpg
    NEC2011 047.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 339
  • NEC2011 048.jpg
    NEC2011 048.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 360
  • NEC2011 050.jpg
    NEC2011 050.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 360
  • NEC2011 051.jpg
    NEC2011 051.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 326
  • NEC2011 052.jpg
    NEC2011 052.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 327
  • NEC2011 053.jpg
    NEC2011 053.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 364
  • NEC2011 054.jpg
    NEC2011 054.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 372
  • NEC2011 055.jpg
    NEC2011 055.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 355
  • NEC2011 056.jpg
    NEC2011 056.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 321
  • NEC2011 057.jpg
    NEC2011 057.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 305
  • NEC2011 060.jpg
    NEC2011 060.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 315
  • NEC2011 059.jpg
    NEC2011 059.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 321
  • NEC2011 061.jpg
    NEC2011 061.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 346
  • NEC2011 062.jpg
    NEC2011 062.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 327
Trevor did a lovely job starting with an SCF/RCR XJ13 ,assembling and customising it to that level...as reflected in the starting price

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Trevor did a lovely job starting with an SCF/RCR XJ13 ,assembling and customising it to that level...as reflected in the starting price

Fran, could you give us a summary of what he did that at least roughly reflects the price differential?

Or to put it more directly, if I bought an SCF/RCR XJ13, what would I have to do to get Trevor's results?

Trevors attention to detail is second to none...he knows the original XJ13 inside out.
He spent a lot of time and money on the intake system alone....
Labour is also expensive when building turn key cars...especially when they are one at a time and not production type builds...The MkIV's done by Kenny Thompson are a prefect example... over $600k...and worth every penny to the right customers.

Just think of all the hours you have into your car...and that is a production unit...now bill all those hours at $100....

A really detailed turn key build will run 800 hours minimum plus parts........no different than a high end restoration..

Hi,

Fran is right,it is an eye watering price, what a bargain our cars are. To put it in perspective there were several Chesil Speedsters at around £30k, and several E type roadsters around £100k, one was even a series 2.

As lovely as the E types were I think if I had that sort of money to spend, I would save a bit more as I know which one I would want.

It is a good job there are people with the money to spend on these cars or we would never get to see them.

Just off to get my lottery ticket. :)

Last edited:
Back