Kenny Bracks in gt40 quali

Kenny bracks qualifying in newys gt40 at goodwood revival 2013...... Awesome skills

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jF__B1xpJY&feature=youtube_gdata]Goodwood Revival 2013: Kenny Brack in the wild Ford GT40 - YouTube[/ame]

Just gotta learn how to drive mine that hard in the wet!!!

Keith

Sliding around a race track in an original GT40 ....... £1 million +

Sliding around a race track in an original GT40 you don't own.........Price£ess......

:)

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
'Sorry...but, this seems unnecessarily risky to life, limb, and 'property' to me.

'Dry track' or forget it IMHO...

No way.
It all comes down to car control, skill and experience. We are all born with certain amounts of talent, but even then one still has to practise (a lot).
If you are at his level, believe me it will not be as scary to him as it apparently is for you to watch.
While driving he will be fully focussed and concentrated and his ability to moderate the gas pedal and steering wheel, all fed by what he feels with his lower back and picks up with his ears and eyes, make him drive like this.

Still very impressive and great to watch.

John

Keith

That was hardly the point mate....no other racing drivers there then?

I am also assuming that he has possibly never driven there before on treaded tyres...

Don't forget, this track killed Bruce Mclaren and the GT40 event is hardly a world status race, so why?. I just think that was, yes, OK fun to watch had there been no-one else around him and I probably know why he did it. I'm sure that Newey just told him to rip the ass out of it (as he can't drive the damn thing at without crashing at ANY time).

Brack was pretty lucky to get away with that in more ways than one..

Whatever..

If its a race, its a race. The problem if there really is one is the organisers of events like this seem to want their cake & eat it too! They want a spectacle to please the public, but dont want an accident that will bring the 'wrong' type of media coverage. Was more concerned that one of the other 'processional' drivers would not be aware that he was about to overtake & cross his line, think there was only one real 'moment' ~3.57 where he seemed to have to wait for some grip to come back. Used to enjoy wet tracks myself, dont understand this ' dry track or nothing' attitude, probably comes from having done grass track racing plus lots of loose surface events in my early car club days, living in an area with lots of gravel roads was great!

Keith

If its a race, its a race. The problem if there really is one is the organisers of events like this seem to want their cake & eat it too! They want a spectacle to please the public, but dont want an accident that will bring the 'wrong' type of media coverage. Was more concerned that one of the other 'processional' drivers would not be aware that he was about to overtake & cross his line, think there was only one real 'moment' ~3.57 where he seemed to have to wait for some grip to come back. Used to enjoy wet tracks myself, dont understand this ' dry track or nothing' attitude, probably comes from having done grass track racing plus lots of loose surface events in my early car club days, living in an area with lots of gravel roads was great!

When is a race not a race? When it's qualifying (as this was) - and I think you nailed it exactly when raising the question about the rearward vision capability of the others. The point is, that only one car can behave like that in a pack in those conditions and he did - and he was lucky. What was the point?

You wouldn't get serious racing in these machines anywhere else in the world today - only Goodwood, so there are no lessons to be learned re: having cakes - but a tad of respect and a desire to actually reach the race itself without taking out half the field in the process (was that 111 he came perilously close to side swiping? - Linden Green?) would, I think anyway, have been a more appropriate approach.

I wonder what would have been the reaction had Maldonado behaved like that at the Pebble Beach event in the USA (or wherever that is they do all the Classic Racing each year - Laguna Seca?) I pick Maldonado, because I couldn't think of a homespun HOON here in F1.

It's only an opinion, but I think, given the circumstances, it was highly disrespectful. Maybe there's something lost in the translation or maybe it's just me.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
No way.
It all comes down to car control, skill and experience. We are all born with certain amounts of talent, but even then one still has to practise (a lot).
If you are at his level, believe me it will not be as scary to him as it apparently is for you to watch.
While driving he will be fully focussed and concentrated and his ability to moderate the gas pedal and steering wheel, all fed by what he feels with his lower back and picks up with his ears and eyes, make him drive like this.

Still very impressive and great to watch.

John

'Understand your point, sir, but many a focused, skilled, experienced and talented driver has met his end racing in dry conditions. Driving in the rain - be it actually when racing or in qualifying - just multiplies the odds of one meeting his end (or at a minimum, a disaster of some kind) by several times.

Have I mentioned my spine is made of jello?

The only problem I see there is that it's mixed talent on the track at the same time. I would be way more worried that some of the slower guys whould not see the faster car coming up. You really got to trust that the other guys are not going to change lines on a whim!

My arms are tired just watching that...ouch.

Keith

I don't think Newey gives a toss... he drives it like he hates it anyway, no, I mean really hates it...

Don't forget, this track killed Bruce Mclaren and the GT40 event is hardly a world status race, so why?.

If I'm not mistaken there are signs all around the circuit and at sign on that Motor Racing is Dangerous. All accept that fact.
BTW correct me if I am not wrong regarding the Bruce McLaren comment, even at the speeds achieved by the amazing KB, they are a lot less in the wet than those in the dry, so less of a danger.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter

Totally agree.

I grew up in Wisconsin and took every opportunity to drive hard on ice and snow. Did as many ice races as I could. I think it was great preparation for racing.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I was wore out halfway through the video wondering when he would get behind the curve and have it come around, especially the braking into the turns. UGGG

Back