Kenny Bracks in gt40 quali

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
All, here's a video of Brack explaining his style and driving during quali and the race at Goodwood.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMGR9qjj4I"]Brack Video[/ame]

best
Dave

It's interesting that this car is called an "original". It's a workshop broom, new handle ( chassis) new head ( body - carbon fibre ) etc etc , but it's still the original broom !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 258

Mike Pass

Supporter
Exactly! Couldn't agree more Frank. I have been saying the same thing for a long time. Nowadays originality is in the chassis plate and the history file. As for the rest.........
Cheers
Mike

Keith

For me, the most telling thing about the car's actual provenance was just after everyone's famous commentator Simon Taylor was explaining Newey's technical driving excellence (!) Newey promptly drove off the road at the next corner almost every subsequent corner after that, was passed by over half the field which was well strung out, and yet still came in 2nd. To be fair, they did a stonking driver change, but despite everything else, the car was STREETS faster in every department than all the others. (Not wishing to detract from Brack's undoubted prowess).

Watch the video - that was not a level playing field, and who knows better than Newey? :laugh:

Mike Pass

Supporter
I seem to remember Adrian Newey saying on the Revival TV program that the car had been prepared by Lanzante. It is of course original in every respect.......
Cheers
Mike

i was there and also say,....is he crazy??,....but, after thinking about i only can say, he never looks out of controll, he raced that car for real, and it looks if he will smile about every slide he did
we speak about for a longer time and realice, that normaly each racer never think about cost from the car, less driver could pay the car they race with, and modern racecars are all in the range from a gt-40, also they knows the company can help if have a crash, like the firt time rebuild the car
for me it was amazing to see how a driver could race a gt-40 and now i know exactly, gt-40 is the best car in the world and i drive to goodwood with my demaged knee, only to see all this gt-40`s in padock and out on the track, and yes, it was since long time the best i see, hear and feel,....i still was in my dream, 3 days long, and it was amazing to see kenny brack raced this car

ernst

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Jeez, you guys sound like nannies, naughty mr Bracks had a go in the wet and got sideways. Golly gosh get out the cotton wool.

I saw the car at Lanzante´s when they were going to restore it.
They built a jig using 1018, which at that time was owned by Ray Belm, (they disassembled the whole car just to use the chassis to build the jig) to use it on the restoration of 1010, and in order to straighten as many original panels as possible to be used again on the car.

Racing cars have accidents. And even if they dont, parts are substituted, and chassis redone just to be able to keep them racing with safety.

Ask how many Lola T70, McLaren M6, M1 and F1´s racing the different categories in the historic championships have new tubs, new wishbones... new everything.

If you want to keep a car active on the track, at a point every part on it has been replaced. That is a fact and it is the way racing goes.

Keith

If you want to keep a car active on the track, at a point every part on it has been replaced. That is a fact and it is the way racing goes.

Newey's has had 6 new bodies, 4 new chassis and 18 corners. That's in the last 12 weeks :laugh:

Just kidding folks - but he certainly keeps the resto guys busy....bless his cotton socks :)

Mike Pass

Supporter
Soooo........ What's original about these ORIGINAL cars if nothing is left of what they started with? And how is that different from a REPLICA made with the same spec of parts? Looks like the chassis plate and the history file are worth a lot. Still seems like BS to me.
Cheers
Mike

Still seems like BS to me. Cheers Mike[/QUOTE said:
I am afraid that´s life, buddy.

At least in historic motor sport. If you race a car, accidents happen, metal fatigue happens, and if you want to keep racing and being "safe" you need to re-tub, rebuild, re...

None of this detracts from Bracks driving, I watched and enjoyed it many times, and having driven gt40 round Goodwood many times appreciate his abilities, and the fact that he enjoyed every second of it himself

Mike Pass

Supporter
I wonder if he does passenger rides? I would be up for a few laps as I missed out on a few laps with Mark Hales. It would be great to experience someone driving with that level of car control.
Cheers
Mike

Back