McLaren M8 B look alike

I find I am running at maximum water temps for my liking when I consistantly run to 6000rpm so need to get more cold air thru the radiator which i can pinch from under the back or the front wheel well.

I need to find some body in Auckland who can both dyno the car and tune carbs as this could also be having an effect.

Hi Russell, do you have a wide band o2 sensor like the Innovate LC1 - readily available for probably less than the cost of a dyno session (for example Innovate LC1 Lambda Cable + O2 Sensor for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand ) and can be used with a digital multimeter to get a pretty accurate reading for mixture.

You may need to fiddle with emulsion tubes, main jets and air corrector. Leaner emulsion tubes can result in a bog or slightly flat zone before mains come in properly, main jets deal with the midrange (say 2500-4500) and air corrector will have a large bearing on top end. If it is getting noticeably hotter at higher RPM it may be leaning out - the wideband will tell all!

Cheers, Andrew

Well its been a long time coming now here`s the video if I can attach it correctly. I ended up getting a DIGITECH VHS TO DVD converta and copying my vhs footage which had a remote mic out the back between the exhausts so that you can hear the sounds. Have just run at a fun meeting in Taupo with 10 x 8 lap fun `races` where all we did was put in fuel. Very pleased at how it ran and still only reving it to 6000rpm for longetivity.
Russell
Which it did not, how can i attach a `video clip`?

Went to the Chris Amon festival at Hampton Downs yesterday where there were more gt40`s than I have ever seen, one in particular claims to be a genuine Le Mans car, any ideas.
I have also managed to upload on you tube a brief recording of my car at Pukekohe listed as `Mclaren m8b replica at Pukekohe` ?v=9uLXnm2HLE

Attachments

• Hampton Downs 2011 010.jpg
    Hampton Downs 2011 010.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 302
  • Hampton Downs 2011 011.jpg
    Hampton Downs 2011 011.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 316
  • Hampton Downs 2011 012.jpg
    Hampton Downs 2011 012.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 309
  • Hampton Downs 2011 013.jpg
    Hampton Downs 2011 013.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 320
  • Hampton Downs 2011 014.jpg
    Hampton Downs 2011 014.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 305
  • Hampton Downs 2011 015.jpg
    Hampton Downs 2011 015.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 326
  • Hampton Downs 2011 016.jpg
    Hampton Downs 2011 016.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 335
  • Hampton Downs 2011 020.jpg
    Hampton Downs 2011 020.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 315
Went to the Chris Amon festival at Hampton Downs yesterday where there were more gt40`s than I have ever seen,[[[[ one in particular claims to be a genuine Le Mans car, any ideas.]]]]
I have also managed to upload on you tube a brief recording of my car at Pukekohe listed as `Mclaren m8b replica at Pukekohe` ?v=9uLXnm2HLE

Or a replica thereof, most likely an SPF with that # 2258 number and further down on the placard with ref to CSX? 1012 which is a MKII delivered to Shelby with the chassis number GT40 P/1012 & highly unlikely it would ever be in Gulf Colours... would have to have a T44 transaxle to be an 'original', the placard states ZF which is one option on current SPF's...

Had the car out at Taupo in December and finaly tracked down what my soft brake pedal issues were. When I built the car I must have been determined to have effortless brakes as I had built the pedal on a 7.2 ratio. I have always had `soft` brakes with too much travel that appeared to have air in them and have bleed them..power bled and just bled the again with no change.
Well I figured that it must be that pedal lenght so now that I have workshop space up and running, i knocked out a new pedal at 5.2 ration and hey presto a great pedal. There is nothing less confidence inspiring than a soft pedal.
Russell

A 2 ltr 6 cyl Lotus 7 style car for `the wife`. Will post some pics to morrow along with a 1969 Dodge DART 2DR Coup running a late model Dodge Viper motor / gbox set up as an all comers fun saloon race car.My brother is a big Dodge fan.
cheers

It sure does not take long to fill the space up...

Attachments

• lyons ave 083.jpg
    lyons ave 083.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 441
  • lyons ave 084.jpg
    lyons ave 084.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 438
Finaly got some picture from Taupo, as you can see it was a very hot day so any shade was welcome.
Russell

Attachments

• TAUPO DEC 5TH 001.JPG
    TAUPO DEC 5TH 001.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 412
  • TAUPO DEC 5TH 018.JPG
    TAUPO DEC 5TH 018.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 396
  • TAUPO DEC 5TH 016.JPG
    TAUPO DEC 5TH 016.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 388
Hi Russel, Are you quite tall?? you seem to sit quite high in the car and do you get buffered around in the wind much. The Allcomers car your thinking of, will you be able to run something like that in the "Classic Car Club" events or is there an actual class for that. The reason I ask is it always seems you have to have a car with some history or that is at least derived from the orginal car to run with the Historic type events, are there actually some people out there that just want to see these creations going again wheather old or just built to the old style with the same enthusiasum. It gladdens the heart to think that this may the case. Good luck withe the "7" project and keep the photos coming. Cheers Leonmac

not me...two cars went off before me, that run off area is very short so an extra careful other wise you end up joining the other circuit. I would not like to run out off brakes there at all.
Cheers
Just filling out a 16 page document for a certificate of descrition which will enable me to run with some of the purists as a period correct car, trying to prove where my trans came from is interesting so its off to the Audi dealer.

HI Russell, Keep us informed as to how you get on with the paperwork. Can I ask who you are doing it through:ie, Motorsport NZ, HRC or Classic Car Owners Club or some other Historic Motor sport Group. Cheers Leonmac

Russel have you talked to the sports car club guys at all about eligibility to run in their series, might be worth a shot as there always trying to get grid numbers up.
cheers john

Leon
HRSCC is the running the event but I am applying for the COD in my own rights, The others such ar HRC and TACCOC are just so pure! that I would be a disease worse than the plague at any meeting they ran. About the only thing I am winging it on a bit is the transaxel, best info I can get is that it was fitted to an A4 Audi from 1966 which is before the `period` i am aimed at. That model ran from 1966 thru to 1996. so proving which and when could be difficult. I hope not to have to prove anything as thats the only part at issue. Kinda hoping that if I did get the COD then I could front up most places should I choose.
I have changed tack for the moment and am applying for a COD as a period correct special based on the Gemco which aligns my car perfectly. We shall see.
Cheers

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Russell, I presume you are doing that as a "Retrospective Special"? That's what I did with mine too. Dead easy, so long as the first iteration of any engine/trans part used was available on or before the date you want to represent, then it is fine. Because my 930 trans was first produced in 1975, that's the earliest they say my car could represent. Although I have built it as a 1969 Gulf shape.

Doesn't really matter a shit, if the promoters want you, they'll accept it whatever year is shown on the papers. If they don't want you, they wont! I have no trouble finding races for my 1975 (lol) spec GT40 lookalike. I have raced in Club Saloons, Classics, Sports/GT. Your open car may be slightly more restricted but I'm sure you'll find there are classes that will be pleased to have you with them.

The bonus with them insisting on 1975 for me is that it is then firmly in the wings and slicks era, so mine is going to sprout some aero during the current rebuild. That'll improve lap times no end I feel. :cool: I've already gone to slicks. Miles better!

Good luck with it. Since I've been down that path let me know if there's anything I can help with.

Cheers,

Russ

Russell
Yes thats exactly what i doing, Just going to scan everything to morrow in case it goes astray. Great to see you getting it all back to gether and it seems like you will have all the updates a MK 2 will allways have. I remember how happy I was when O wrote off my first Starlet, boy the Mk 2 was a beauty.
Cheers

Back