Need some help for what transaxel to use

Hi, new on the forum. From Norway.
I,am going to order a gt40 brakedown kit from CAV.
And need som advise on transaxel.
understand its hard to find a ZF box.
whats the best choise after the zf?
Engine will be sbf around 400 hp.
it will be used on some hard mountain pass driving, and maybe some trackdays.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Audi O1E from 2.5 tdi DQS has the best gear ratio. Found in Audi A6 and some Skoda’s if this helps. O1X 5 speed is shorter and also suitable.
Otherwise a Renault UN1-13 with a UN1-30 bellhousing and adapter plate. With the UN1 box you can drop the engine 50mm lower than the O1E in regards to the driveshafts angle. ZF is also a great option, though some 10 times costlier than the UN1, and 25 more than the Audi box. Also you need a gear shifter mechanism. Very costly with Audi cable system, abit easier with rod linkage to UN1 with shifter on right side, RIght hand drive.

morten

Audi O1E from 2.5 tdi DQS has the best gear ratio. Found in Audi A6 and some Skoda’s if this helps. O1X 5 speed is shorter and also suitable.
Otherwise a Renault UN1-13 with a UN1-30 bellhousing and adapter plate. With the UN1 box you can drop the engine 50mm lower than the O1E in regards to the driveshafts angle. ZF is also a great option, though some 10 times costlier than the UN1, and 25 more than the Audi box. Also you need a gear shifter mechanism. Very costly with Audi cable system, abit easier with rod linkage to UN1 with shifter on right side, RIght hand drive.

morten
Thanks for information, what do you think about the Porsche G50 transaxel?

Mike Pass

Supporter
The Porsche G50 would be my choice. We have two NW UK members who use the G50. One is in a Southern GT and the other in a one off honeycomb car. The G50 in the one off car is mated to a 428 stroked 351 small block and it has lived with 500 ft.lbs of torque for 15 years+ and has done a lot of track time and hillclimb events. Note that it needs to be flipped and the gearchange goes in at the back.
Cheers
Mike

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
And then there is the Porsche 930 as well. Inverted, it lowers the engine, but then a dry sump is preferred (but not absolutely required if the assembly is raise up a bit) at that point due to the elevation of the engine. Gear ratios are great for V8 torque. Synchronizers leave a bit to be desired compared to the G50. And of course, it's very strong.

Neil

Supporter
A G50/01 works nicely in my non-GT40.
IMG_20220330_115340005.jpg

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Quaife stopped production due to failures, I understand they have a new improved version.

I have a G50 in my Ultima, it's tricked out with billet side plates, side shift, oil spray bar etc. and has held up to track abuse with 600HP/590 ftlbs torque and sticky tires. The only negative is the cable shift, it took a while to get fine tuned, even now it never feels quite as positive as the ZF rod shift in my GT40. I was going to say the $15K price tag should get you a fully refurbished G50, but then I looked on eBay at prices for used takeouts!

A used ZF is likely to be from a Pantera and requires inverting for GT40 use (flipping the crown wheel & pinion and drilling oil drain back holes), whereas 'flipping' a Porsche transaxle is relatively easy as they are used in front of the engine in the Porsche application and simply run inverted behind the engine, so ring & pinon in same orientation.

Mike Pass

Supporter
One of our NW members has bought a new Quaife transaxle from Quaife very recently (few weeks ago).
Check with Quaife for price and delivery.
Cheers
Mike

Back