New garage

Just my 2 cents worth. I have 8" flourescent lites in my shop. I have some on the ceiling but also have some on the wall down a bit. I like this lighting for any body work and painting I do. I will never be without retractable air hose reels and drop lites.Even after working out in the garage for a long time it only takes a minute to pick up the hoses and cords. I used to just leave them lying around rather then coil them up.

Ron Earp

Admin
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe when Ron and Brian come over to be beaten at the Brighton Speed Trials we can try it with their cars?

[/ QUOTE ]

I might have a suprise for you though....I've been doing some work on the Lightning - it'd be really embarassing for you Brits to get smoked by a pickup truck, now wouldn't it??? Probably wouldn't get you in trap speed but the ET, this thing launches HARD! Have some nice dyno plots to get up but more tweaking to do, how does 511 ft/lb of rear wheel torque starting at about 2900 RPM sound, opps, some of the cat out of the bag!

I am envious of the garage as mine is still about 1 year away, putting too much $$$ into cars with no place to put them!

R

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Bill, the GT40, which is named 1149, is coming along. We spent a lot of time trying to figure out whose brake calipers to use, to finally decide to use AP2271s even though they cost a kilobuck each. Progress is getting made, but there are a lot of hangups on the way.
The Hatteras is in much better shape. We are changing the wiring this week to a house battery/ start battery separate system, and doing a few other updates, like taking out the AirSeps and putting in Racor CCVs. She goes in April 12th. Can't wait. You should come over for some boating. Do you still have the Davis?
Mozingo can get you a good deal on a lift, call him, he is the best in the midAtlantic area. I have known him for decades.

Hi;

Am also building a garage. Use 4-ft fluorescent tubes with Sylvania CP50 daylight tubes, spaced every 8-ft. I use them in my business showrooms to show actual colors of products.

I think another major factor, assess where car doors will open and have no shelves or anything on the walls in these spaces, below 4-ft. Need a 7,000 lbs four poster lift.

I think a utility wash basin is required, bathroom, TV cable, phone, micro-wave, freezer (with drinks and pizzas) and seats for the car-friends.

John

Malcolm

Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
- it'd be really embarassing for you Brits to get smoked by a pickup truck, now wouldn't it??? Probably wouldn't get you in trap speed but the ET, this thing launches HARD! Have some nice dyno plots to get up but more tweaking to do, how does 511 ft/lb of rear wheel torque starting at about 2900 RPM sound, opps, some of the cat out of the bag!

R

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron, pick up = commercial vehicle. Sorry but you won't get an accepted competition entry in the UK with that. Only on Isle of Man! How heavy?

I also used the 7-ft fluorescent tubes with 70w daylight tubes, when I go outside it always seems a bit darker!
I installed a tiled floor, as in the past I hated having to repaint or recoat the garage floor, due to axle stands or in my case very warm tyres sticking to the floor and pulling the coating off.
I ran several 3 phase 415V sockets for wheelbalancer etc. Toilet and Wash basin a must.
I am putting in a 2 poster wheelfree ramp, my own preference.
I am about a month away from finishing mine.

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, that is too bad. They definitely are not commercial vechicles. They weigh in at about 4500lbs but they seem to be a case where the weight / torque / hp don't jive with ET/trap predictions, I think it is because of the mountain of torque available from idle on up. Here is one getting ready to put down a 12.4 on street tires against a Camaro, which only managed a 12.6 with slicks, despite the race stickers on the car. 11s are obtainable with bolt on pulleys and I have a few of those........

If you guys need a lift email Brad Davies at ACL, [email protected]. He is one of the sponsors of the site and promised a good discount and deal for folks from www.gt40s.com. I am going to get one from him and the price he does for us is better than anyone else I've found.

Attachments

• 55275-smack.jpg
    55275-smack.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 266
Small sink to wash hands...this sink must remain in this condition and never be cleaned! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DSC00451.jpg

Sense we're spending your money on this, don't forget to add a couple of fire extinguishers.

Large clock

Exhaust fan

If I had the room, I would pour a slab outside to do messy tasks like small sandblasting jobs or painting and degreasing large parts that won't fit in the parts washer. That way you won't have to mess your your driveway.

Also building a room on the outside of the garage to put the compressor in would cut down on noise.

My garage is about 1000sf and it is lit with six 4' florecent lights. It's ok but 2 more would not hurt.

Don't forget a bottle opener.

DSC00449.jpg

I don't have part #'s but just go to the store and ask for the Mills Pride line of cabinets. The ones in the picture are 30" tall and 36" wide. they are hung at 54" off of the floor to the bottom on the cabinet. This is the standard height for any upper cabinet installed in a kitchen. They come in different width so you can get a combonation that will fit on your wall space. They are EASY to put together and hang.

Ron Earp

Admin
Dan that gives me a good idea. I wanted to make a little area with cabinets and a small desk underneth, looks like the Home Depot stuff would work well. I'm going to check them out.

R

[ QUOTE ]
Have you thought of putting in a loop sensor in your drive way? Cut this into your driveway in front of the garage doors and no one can get a car out without triggering the loop. What you switch on with it is up to you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! If I had such a device, I would use it to open the top of a huge tank that would contain sharks with frickin' lasers on their heads!. ***evil laugh***

Some great ideas in this thread, guys. I definitely have garage envy. I casually ran the idea of another garage bay by my wife the other day and she didn't flip out so maybe in another year or two I can add a 450-square-foot garage bay. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bill, so many good ideas here, my only contributions are as follows:

<ul type="square">[*] Run your wiring inside conduit so you can upgrade if your electrical requirements change. I spent a pile of money running a sub-panel to my garage and a 50-amp 240v outlet to my TIG welder.

[*] If you have sufficient room, try to make one of your work tables free standing, as David Briggs has. Consider having this table either with a stainless top or sheathed in stainless sheet to facilitate welding projects.

[*] Add a small, ventilated shed to the exterior of the garage so you can keep your noisy compressor in there and out of sight and earshot.

[*] Be safe! Make sure you have a few fire extinguishers, pick up a flammables storage cabinet for paints, thinners and solvents, and design in adequate ventilation for what you want to do in there.

[/list]

Mark,

I fully agree! If all of these ideas were put in one place,

you'd REALLY have a dream garage! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

A friend of mine has donated a stainless steel, surgical

table (30W"x84L"), wheels, brakes, the works, which should do VERY

nicely for a rolling workbench. It even elevates, via a

handcrank. It's rated for a 400 lb patient, so it should

handle anything that I'll ever put on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a sub-box in my electrical plan. Gotta have lots

of juice! 240V is a must, on both ends of the garage.

A paint/flammables cabinet is a good idea. Add THAT to the

list!

I've got the fire extinguishers covered (6).

For the moment, the compressor will stay inside. I plan to

add a shed roof off the back of the building in the future, at which

point, the compressor will be moved outside, and boxed in.

Meanwhile, I guess that I can surround it with R-Max, to

subdue the noise somewhat.

I would like to have the ability to temporarily separate

the garage into individual bays, for painting, sanding, etc.

I'm hoping that my buddy can come up with a sliding track

type curtain, usually found in hospital rooms.

I will be attaching the garage to my current burglar/fire

system(will include 3 sirens and 16 floodlights!), plus I

have 4 four legged alarms. A mouse doesn't stand a chance

of breaking in, let alone a human! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I certainly hope that this thread doesn't get lost!

There have been some EXCELLENT ideas put forward!

Thanks for your input, Mark!

Bill

Howard Jones

Supporter
A friend of mine built a paint booth in half of his garage by sticking down 2X4's on the froor with RTV and then tacking plastic sheet to it and again to the ceiling. worked good and came down in about a hour.

Lights, Floresents work well if you get the right bulbs and place them about every six feet. The kind that go into office space for natural lighting work well. There is some kind of low eye strain blub that is used.

Work benches need a good old spot lamp with a 100W bulb in it. At least my eyes do.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Full spectrum fluorescents are the only way to go energy wise. 2 ct 4ft. 40 watt bulbs, that's 80 watts total puts out as much light as 150w incandescent. Electricity just like gasoline is only going to go up.

My garage is 24' x 22' and has 9 fluor. fixtures with twin 4' bulbs. 3 separate switches, 3 banks of 3. Also spot fluor at workstations on articulating arms.

If your going to run a bead blasting cabinet and air body tools you want a 2 stage air compressor. PSI and tank size don't mean much you're looking for a higher CFM spec. Body air tools and blast cabinets really use high volume and a 5hp single stage won't keep up.

A metal top bench made out of wood is nice. It has the durability on top but doesn't clang when you move it around or drop stuff on it.

My project is a little different from a complete kit but now that I've had them just couldn't do without a mill and a lathe. 1958 Craftsman (Atlas) 12" lathe, RongFu 3hp mill drill.

Back