New.... R C R 917K..... New

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Gee, Fran, I don't see why the R&D can't be done while you are twiddling your thumbs (he says with tongue firmly planted in cheek.) Seriously, I think the progress of RCR and the array of choices you offer is nothing short of miraculous.

I was really just playing devil's advocate in asking the question. Some people, who haven't worked on or built a 2 seat, midengine, race based car don't have an appreciation of how difficult it really is to package any whim, dream, hope or desire into such a tight package.

Lynn

Ohhhhh, he uses a computer, so that must free up a lot of time. It''s not like he's doing this with a slide rule and abacus!!

Gordon....you would have a very hard time fitting in....but I am sure you have heard that before...I know I have .....:D

Seriously you would have to set the car up as a single seater and be prepared to lay back like driving a formula car.

Bill,
just you wait and see what else I have up my sleeve from playing on computers......

Cliff,

Thanks for the consideration, unfortunatly I am still at the dream stage. But when things get going I will defiently be intrested in persuing all avaliable options.

Lynn

I'm with you.....comparing the Lola coupe to the 917, I don't see
much difference. I'd bet one could successfully fit a V8 if sufficiently talented.
How well a Chevy/Ford powered 917 would be received is another question.
Still....there are plenty of 911's running around with Chevy's in them.

I don't blame Fran for declining to spend the time to develop
such a limited market option, but I am a little surprised he shut the door
so hard on the fellow that asked. He must need a nap.

MikeD

I said RCR is not supporting anything other than aircooled engines...doesn't mean that once you have purchased a kit you cant do it or yourself.....:pepper:

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Gregg said:
Cliff, how many people own you? :) :) Would the owner of that engine be Dale?

Hi Gregg,

Just own myself here. One of the folks I co-own a business with has an original (well used) flat 12. His first name is actually Bill.

Very unique engine. I've never heard it run but I'd love to see it in an appropriate project. I've heard the maintenance on it is seriously intense - hate to have to pay for it!

If Gustav came with the motor, then that would be the good deal!

That is simply an incredible engine. Thanks for sharing those photo's.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Sandy,

Great link!!! I've got to go get some paper towels and wipe up the pool of drool on my desktop now rockonsmile

Thanks!

Lynn

Any pics of the development car with the flat 6? Intrested to see what it will look like on the 917, since the fan was exposed on the origonal.

Wow, this is great news! When I first learned that the tube version was $100k, it was quite a let down for me. This new version sounds a lot more feasible.

But I have some questions: what is sacrificed by making the chassis out of aluminum? How is this going to affect the weight of the car? How about the stiffness? Is it still going to be dimensioned for the original massive 12 cylinder engine? (giving us room to maybe mount something else?)

I think a lot of us out here are thinking about all the technical aspects of the car; and running though our heads thousands of different engine combinations that might work. We know how big the original engine is from pictures, so I’m thinking of engines that size :)

John,

the engine bay will still accomodate the same engine trans as the original tube chassis.
The mono tub will certainly be a safer street car as there is less chance of intrusion through the tub than through the tubes...our 4130 chassis is significantly stiffer than the original alloy chassis....the mono will add more
ridgidity,
The mono tub version car will be approx 130lbs heavier....

Feel free to call with any questions.....

What’s that going to bring the final weight to? I would like to keep things as light as possible since this would strictly be a track car. I really don’t see how a 917 could ever really be streetable!

Please fire up your finite analysis package and keep that weight down! dont make it safe, make it fast! rockonsmile

Nope.....make it safe and then make it fast.......its my reputation and your life.rockonsmile ...I could supply a free sawsall with everykit....:D

Put a lighter engine and trans in the car and you will have both.....

Hey Fran,

Is this version going to have the multi-link rear suspension like the orignal car? I wonder why porsche went with that over triditional upper and lower A-arms...

is it 130lbs heavier than the original car or your tube version? I know the orignal 917 was around 1800lbs.

Back