New.... R C R 917K..... New

John,

you are correct on the weight but bear in mind how heavy the 12 cylinder engine is....the 6 cylinder flat six is considerably lighter...so its almost a wash...:)

The 917 still uses a version of radius rod suspension but the forward link locations do not continue through to the bulkhead as per Lola and Gt40.

The mono version uses the same geometry as our "original" tube car which is based on the 69/70 season car....

Hope this helps....

I was quite skeptical about this car when I first learned about it, I thought it might accurately look like a 917, but be horrid behind the wheel; I want a car that’s going to do the original justice on the track, not a show car.
It sounds like your making the car I want!:eek:

I got to tell you though; I’m going to scrutinize all of your work!
I’m really interested in all the details, things like roll centers and Ackermann on the 917 and how they differ from a modern race car; but I’ll save that…

Please keep us posted on all the details as they happen!

John,
.....our 917 is done from factory prints and our own hand measurements from original cars (which very hugely)...be sure to bring your own copies along as reference...;)

We are not building a modern race car...we are building a replica of a 917.

Your comment of comparison is a little confusing......maybe you would be better served with a Radical or something more modern......917 are notorious for having handling issue if not properly setup......this car killed many talented drivers in the day and its no different now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Sorry to disagree with you Fran but the 917 did not kill many talented drivers.

Only John Woolfe was killed in the first lap of the 1969 LeMans race despite being warned not to drive it. Despite the 917s vunerability very few drivers suffered any real injuries except for David Piper.

But you stick to your guns about building the 917 to its original concept.
Thats why i sent you the body shell,etc. I,m always amazed by the people who want you to modify and change things, as if it can be done by waving a wand !!!!

I can tell you that all 917s needed setting up carefully and it took months and lots of hard work to get them right even with the huge financial strength of the factory and the different teams.

You stick to your guns and produce the basic product. I can,t wait to have some more in the workshop and to be selling them to sensible, non nit-picking clients.

Graham @ GTA.

How is testing coming along on your car Graham? Will this testing be used to determine the setup of the RCR 917 cars? Will the 2 versions of the RCR 917 use the same setup?

If the car was setup for the track, would it be able to take the occasional joy ride around town and back roads? Or would it be to compromised? I am talking specifically about the mono version.

Graham is not doing anything with the MONO tub at all...he is working hard dialling in his chassis with advice and help from owners/drivers of original cars....

Graham..

you are correct....I should have said "could have"...instead of "did"..... it was an early morning/pre-coffee moment...
I agree with you about the changes people want to make...sometimes I am very surprised by the peoples need to change the heart of the car....
as I mentioned previously ...once a customer has purchased ...they can modify to their hearts content...and hopefully enjoy the process.

Last edited:

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Dan,

While a manufacturer will provide alignment specs for a car, when it comes to anything beyond street driving or playing on a race track, each car must be setup individually. No two cars will end up with the exact same setup no matter who they were built by.

Please see this thread in this forum: Best Handling RCR ?

(Hope you don't mind me putting my $0.02 worth in here Fran.)

Fran,

So sorry for being confusing, let me try to rephrase...

As someone quite interested in chassis design, I have always wondered what theories were popular with suspension set-up’s when the 917 was designed. For example, some of these older cars had roll centers way lower then modern cars… Plus, this is a car which came from a time when suspension was everything since downforce and aero were little understood. I was wondering how the 917’s suspension geometry compares to a modern racer.

Don’t worry; I wasn’t really expecting an answer. ;)

But you’re saying exactly what I want to hear: this car is going to have an exact copy of the originals suspension.
I think that’s going to be one of the fun parts of the car. I dont want a Radical at all!

I do hope Graham gets things sorted out pretty well though so we have a nice starting point for tuning!

Oh dear,

I think Fran and i are going to have to nail this one down well and truly and Lynne has also answered clearly the straight fact regarding the set up of the 917 and probably most other non large production cars as well.

Every car will have to be set up to suit itself and the driver. It will take a great deal of time to set the car up and YOU WILL have to play with ride heights, spring rates, shock absorber settings, roll bar setting, etc, etc, etc, and neither i or Fran or anyone else can give you a definitive ultimate setting. Frans chassis will come with the right parts to start playing with so the base will be there for all customers to work from, and i will be able to advise, alter,etc, as UK/Europe agent, any customer cars over this side of the pond.

I have had sleepless night over setting the 917 up. When i took mine to Spa for its very FIRST race it had never turned a wheel in anger before. I had given it a couple of shakedown tests at Snetterton to make sure she was holding together and that all systems were functioning correctly. I was determined to do a "world first" and actually race a replica 917K with full backing from Gulf Oil UK so everything was in the air regarding ideal settings.

Virtually all our previously held thoughts regarding set ups were to be thrown over the nearest hedge because she handled diabolically in the bends, but went like a guided missile in a straight line. In one official practice lap though when i managed to keep basically to a sensible line i managed 17th fastest out of 80 starters but a pile of problems were still there and could not be sorted out there and then, so the race was not a good one..
but we finished the race and i achieved my dream with this 917. It does get better each time its been out but it all takes time and money.

Now before the race Willi Kausen and Harald Deutcher both came over and spent some time with me and told me i must be mad to even race it so fresh.
Willi was a major figure in the 917s development testing and racing and he made it clear that it would take months of hard work to get it right but that i would get there eventually. Even David Piper, whos friendship and help i am so grateful for, has been cagy to give me his set up knowledge.

Taking one around town will be no different to taking it round a race track.

It will shake your fillings out, it will go under articulated lorries and car park barriers, it will keep you very alert, it will certainly deafen you if you have a open race exhaust, it will require a lot of money but it will do everything a 917K should. Be awe inspiringly fantastic and probably for most people so very different in driving experience to anything else they may have driven.

Just don,t drive head on into a wall !!!!!!!

I,ve a country mile to go still before i get it anywhere near right but i still have to adjust things for each circuit and weather change.

So please give Fran a break so that his team can build them. Once you have purchased one you can put what you want in it and alter it to your hearts content and even paint it pink with yellow dots if you like.

Graham @ GTA/Gulf Oil UK Racing

Back