P2304

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jeff, its a brutal beast that you have to be on your toes or you could end up in a coffin. My wife hates it but we have other cars to drive she likes, I took her on a tuning run where she was holding the lap top, when I asked her what the computer said (AFR) when I got on it she said she didn't know she couldn't read the screen with her head in the back of the seat. :) She then asked impolitely to take her home. No sense of adventure.

Jimmy I use to take the boxer out early new years morning if the weather permited and run her up to 150 and back off again real quick just to bring in the new year, it was the best Ferrari I've ever owned but unlike the GT40 if you broke it or wreaked it your in big bucks to fix.

Sorry to horn in on your thread brother!

Attachments

• IMG_8158.JPG
    IMG_8158.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_8142.JPG
    IMG_8142.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 390
Jack,

How many more secrets do you have??? Beautiful BB!

May best friend has a carbed BB512 in white, just restored. . .almost.

Thanks for the pics!

All the best,

David in Durango

Jeff, its a brutal beast that you have to be on your toes or you could end up in a coffin. My wife hates it but we have other cars to drive she likes, I took her on a tuning run where she was holding the lap top, when I asked her what the computer said (AFR) when I got on it she said she didn't know she couldn't read the screen with her head in the back of the seat. :) She then asked impolitely to take her home. No sense of adventure.

Jimmy I use to take the boxer out early new years morning if the weather permited and run her up to 150 and back off again real quick just to bring in the new year, it was the best Ferrari I've ever owned but unlike the GT40 if you broke it or wreaked it your in big bucks to fix.

Sorry to horn in on your thread brother!

Jack,

The thread distraction is most welcome. A Black BB! Yes we want to see more! Please, please, please post some photos of your "home theater" as well!?!?! I've heard whispers and caught glimpses here and there...but I for one definitely want to see a true GT40 worthy garage/theater set up.

Today the order was placed for a fully polished Roush 427 IR. Black intake, black anodized trumpets, pent roof FE style valve covers. That was fun!

- Jeffrey

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I wish I could talk you out of that 427 maybe I'm the only one getting to old to handle it. I'm honestly thinking of finding someone to trade for a 331 who had headers for SPF 302 base engine. Rick mentioned they even have heads for the coyote motor which would be my first choice.

I have had many cars over the years, but everything is a trade off, (if you want something different you have to sell something you have) I've been fortune enough to have worked on Ferrari's, lamborghini's since 1985 and bought and sold many of them and still have a few, the BBI hands down the best. I also owned the old pantera known to exist. I find a picture if it.

The theater becomes a storage room for patio furniture in the winter. :)

Attachments

• AUT_6934.JPG
    AUT_6934.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 333
  • AUT_6935.JPG
    AUT_6935.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 347
  • right side.jpg
    right side.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 328
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 312
  • 208 left.jpg
    208 left.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 337
  • 208tt at Homestead.JPG
    208tt at Homestead.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 346
  • TR6.jpg
    TR6.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 320
  • gopro theater.jpg
    gopro theater.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 338

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Here it is, had a very interesting history, also a picture of a 65 XKE I could shoot myself for selling.

Attachments

• pantera.jpg
    pantera.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 266
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 259
Jack we have similar tastes in cars, my BBi below. Never had a lot of diffferent ferraris but those few I tried just did not compare to the boxer. In fact its the utter dissapointement(like bad sex) with a 458 and Mclaren I tried that sealed the decsion to go Gt40.

Attachments

• BBi.jpg
    BBi.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 299
Thank you both for sharing photos! I refuse to start googling BBi's...I won't do it....nope...not going to look. I'm Caterham 620R dreaming these days anyway. Likely at least a year away. Thanks also for the theater entertainment. What a set up! I am glad I live in a subdivision with building regulations that prevent me from dreaming in that direction. That could get very expensive. Partly building the space, partly the cost of filling an unused garage space. There is simply nothing more expensive than an empty garage space.

Jack, I hear you on the 427. I think this is a mistake we all have to make at some point in our lives (if we are lucky :laugh:). Sort of like motorcycles and destructive relationships. Likely you are right. For true performance balance and optimization the 427 may not be ideal. For what I'm doing, a weekend cruiser, cars and coffee car, part time garage queen, the polished 427 IR seems a good fit.

Want to share highlights of the Pantera history? I think you may know I basically grew up at the Ghia factory. When Mike Drew read my post about that he wanted to meet my father. They've had a flurry of email exchanges straightening out some details of history.

- Jeffrey

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
You found the 458 and MP4 to be disappointing? Don't get me wrong I love my 40 and I liked my Ford GT but I would really like having a white Mac in my garage.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I'll take an MP4!

The Pantera was either the 3rd or 4th car ever made, it remained at the factory for many years before being sold, Mike Drew knows the serial and make number, all the panels in the engine compartment where beat to fit and paint to match, looked like my grandmothers patch quilt. It was sold from the factory to an Italian diplomat who lived in Sicley, he was assassinated while sitting in the car, then the car was sold to an American Officer stationed in Germany, who had it for many years, I purchased the car from a person in Houston TX and the sold it to the person who has it now in Boca Raton FL in the late 80s.

I also owned the oldest pantera known to exist. I find a picture if it.

Because I'm the biggest Pantera dork in the world, I have a photo of Jack way back in the day, standing next to his car, #1006, the earliest Pantera in the world, a hand-built preproduction prototype with innumerable different features from the production cars.

Attachments

• new-3.jpg
    new-3.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 338
You found the 458 and MP4 to be disappointing? Don't get me wrong I love my 40 and I liked my Ford GT but I would really like having a white Mac in my garage.

Without going into too big a tangent they were dissapointing. It depends what youa re looking for I suppose. There was a bend I went through, actualy I drive it quite a bit, in the BBI you downshift from 5th to 4th, which is a practised art in itself, set the car up and then breeze into this bend at about 125 balancing the machine, squeezing on the power through the apex and thenopening the taps, shifting up to 5th somewhere arounf 140 or so as the road straightens. Its a totaly engaing and abrobing experience.

In the 458 and Mp12 that same bend was pretty much as challenging and exciting as issuing commands through a keyboard. So yes their limits are high, and I am sure at the nurbering they are a blast, but below 9/10ths you might as well be in a modern BMW for the amount of feedback tactility and enjoyment they offer. Ans on track I think they will be fast but between paddle shift and all the electronics your excitement will come from the sheer knowledge of the velocity rather than the fullness of the experience. Plus either of these is going to consume $1500 per day on track if you are lucky.

The ferrari motor had good torque to 3.5k rpm which was posotively surprising, then it was flat till 7.5 when the baffels opened and it screamed forwards. The steering was power overboosted but with a very quick ratio, its a car built to drive like a daily around town, that can also put out great numbers and looks stunning. But it lacks the fire and brinstone, and is pretty boring unless you are above 9/10ths, which is not a practical proposition 99% of the time. By contrast just starting the boxer is an experience and its engaging at all speeds, but totaly absorbing if you want to go fast.

Was at a cafe in South Africa last week and some stockbroker type pulled up and parked in front in his 458, thats what it is a cappuchino car, I just dont see unwrapping it on a sunday at 6am for DRIVE type of machine. Stunning to look at, and really fast if you want it to be, but somehow not sould stirring to drive, almost robotic.

The Mclaren was conceptualy better, but the suspension felt oddly disconnected, and the motor is a true turbo, very laggy whith huge and somewhat inconsistent pull. Theese are modern cars and drive with the lack of excitement that moderns offer.

No doubt the 458 and Mp12 would smoke a GT40, and no doubt on track and road for pure driving pleasure and exhiliration the GT40 is going to be the top experience hands down. Yes GT40 would be painful as a daily or to run to the store, and the Mclaren and 458 can pull that off with ease, in fact Paris Hilton and Justin beeber drive them, which tells you a lot about the skills et necessary and the target market.

I suppose the Gt40 is like flying your own P51 and the moderns are like hitching a ride ina citationjet. Sure one is faster more comfortable easier and more reliable, but then what is the purpose of the machine. If you live somewhere where you could use a Mclaren daily then its a great machine because like a M3 it covers many bases, but it would for me only be a car to buy if I had others and the $$ was not a consideration. Now I bet if you put me behind the wheel of a 288gto and it was only 500k I would figure out how to find the $$$, the moderns just dont inspire that way.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
The list of sports cars I've owned, driven or ridden in is pretty short. Couple of different porsches, an F40, a 360 and 430. The GT40 is raw and one feels directly connected. My Ford GT was pulley'd and tuned and was fast and very smooth. It would bite you quick on cold tires. A friends F40 was love at first site. An F40 fully lit is a great experience. I would not consider any of them a dissapointment. I have head the Mac is similar if not as raw. You can disable the driver aids yes? I would love to have one. My grandma could have driven the FGT. That doesn't make it boring at all to me.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
The list of sports cars I've owned, driven or ridden in is pretty short. Couple of different porsches, an F40, a 360 and 430. The GT40 is raw and one feels directly connected. My Ford GT was pulley'd and tuned and was fast and very smooth. It would bite you quick on cold tires. A friends F40 was love at first site. An F40 fully lit is a great experience. I would not consider any of them a dissapointment. I have head the Mac is similar if not as raw. You can disable the driver aids yes? I would love to have one. My grandma could have driven the FGT. That doesn't make it boring at all to me.

I have a friend who has driven 2 at different dealerships and hands down says it the best sports car hes ever driven, his list is vast so that comment from him meant a lot. I have a twin turbo ferrari. :)

Of the moderns or near moderns the one that really lit the fire was a porche carrera Gt, great motor nice steering light great brakes beautifully put together, but then it is still a manual, I really think the paddles remove a whole point of interaction with a car.

Put it this way a MP12 and a F1 have similar speed up to 150, what would you rather drive?

Rowan Arkinson who has done probably more miles ina F1 than any other person says that you could spend a lifetime exploring and learning all a F1 has to offer, do you think the same can be said of the MP12.

I dont doubt that a MP12 has epic speed, and is very accomplished, but is its fun like a slower F40? There is a reason why an F40 is still and epic drive even though a 430 may be quicker. In the end there is always somethiug fasster on track, hell a radical woudl beat all of them, but what inspires? Maybe an aventador? But to me the moderns acomplished as they are, just dont have the same magic and dont inspire the same way.

But then I think the new z28 is more than likey a blast, a real raw old school type of car.

One of the greeat things about an SPF apart from the driving is there is no badge cachet, you either know what it is or you dont.

Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Sean do you have any pictures of the interior of your BB? Looks to be maroon, I have a grey car which I considering maroon for an interior. You have a beautiful car!

Shame on all of us (myself included!) for hijacking Jeffery's thread! All of you (myself included), begone to the Paddock with this non-GT40 talk and let's keep this thread alive for celebrating Jeffery's new GT40!!! :shout:

Absolutely correct. Apologies to Jeffrey for participating in the hijack.

But then, he as a new GT40 and I don't - he will survive (I'm guessing).

Jeffrey, how about a buttload of pictures? Pretty please?

The hijack totally welcome - and I think self instigated! Something to read about while I await further progress :) And of course, I do love all things Ghia, which extends to things Italian and fast. Did not want to bore the forum with a bunch of photos, but as requested...

Attachments

• 236 - S1258 - GT 40 - Monza Red (1).jpg
    236 - S1258 - GT 40 - Monza Red (1).jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 290
  • 236 - S1258 - GT 40 - Monza Red (2).jpg
    236 - S1258 - GT 40 - Monza Red (2).jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 312
  • 236 - S1258 - GT 40 - Monza Red (3).jpg
    236 - S1258 - GT 40 - Monza Red (3).jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 284
  • 236 - S1258 - GT 40 - Monza Red (4).jpg
    236 - S1258 - GT 40 - Monza Red (4).jpg