P2304

Jack,

Yes! Drift welcome! To see your theater, hear about your cars, as well as commentary from Sean, Mike and others...what a great read! What else am I going to do while I wait...wait...wait...wait...

Actually I wanted to drift even further and understand the history of the theater. Purpose built? Or was something adapted? Would love to see more photos of that. My girlfriend and I were speculating that it looks like it once could have been an indoor pool or something :)

- Jeffrey

Sean do you have any pictures of the interior of your BB? Looks to be maroon, I have a grey car which I considering maroon for an interior. You have a beautiful car!

Yes its a maroon interior I think the Italians call it marrone, dash is black. Will wait for some sunshine and pull the cover off for a pic, right now in the NE its snow salt and clouds, plus this winter trashed the roads.

I think the BB is a logical extension of the GT40, a streetable mid engined car or 60's or ealy 70s tech. Maybe the differences are that the GT40 is a lemans car, powered by an american engine whereas a BB is very much like a can am car but powered by an Italian 12, ironic. Without sounding too sexist, neither are for girls.

Had the BB at the track a few times, faster than a 355 neck and neck with a 360 and quuicker out the bends than either with modern tires, but its really a street car and probably too fragile for serious track work. I also have a brand new 512M motor to slip intot he BB one day.

The Gt40 is going to be primarily for track, where it should excel, with a little streetability thrown in. We wills ee but I think a SPF track optimised with the hard core 302 should ebarass more than a few moderns on track, plus what could be more fun.

Obviously it looks fairly complete in the photos. About the only thing it is missing is the headlights - which apparently they will source over here. It should ship anytime now. I'm not sure exactly when I will get word.

- Jeffrey

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Sean as far as a track car I had my car at Road America 2009 but didn't push it, I don't have the skills necessary to handle that amount of brute power. I use to track my twin turbo Ferrrai, it was set up for racing and is a lot of fun, but when boost comes up it doesn't blow the rear tires out, the GT40 even with avons is a hand full. In 2008 another forum member an I were at Morroso in South Florida where I was tracking the Ferrari, another friend was there with his CAV GT40 powered by KC all aluminum 427, making at least 550Hp. We had just completed the morning run and had lunch, we were sitting at the picnic tables under some trees and the driver for the GT40 (who had his competition license) asked if I wanted to go for a ride next go around and I declined and said I was going to drive the Ferrari but thanks, then an owner of a Pantera from back east said he would ride with him for the session. The GT40 was right hand drive so the passenger of course was on the left. The CAV had fuel tanks just as we have but the left hand side was the only tank with fuel, the right hand side (drivers side) had purposely been left empty to offset weight, well as I was suiting up at the starting area the GT40 came around a flat corner just before the pits and hammered it, the left rear wheel was off the track about half was on some pea gravel and the car blew out the rear tires lost control and slid sideways into a concrete flagging podium right in front of our eyes, it exploded from the impact and the hood took off 50 feet into the air. The driver had to be cut out of the car, the roll bar had saved his life but he was in bad condition, after spending a couple weeks in ICU he stayed at our home in the Florida Keys getting strength enough to make the trip back to Maryland in the back of a van, he had more pins and cables coming out of him than Iron Man. The passenger hit the driver so hard it broke 3 of his ribs. Just think there was by the grace of God no fuel in the right hand tank or it would have been over. After that I lost my nerve and really wasn't that good anyway so I do not tract race. Open road racing is totally different, driving your car at 130 MPH for 118 miles with 100 corners is an endurance test and also a test of skill. I enjoy open road racing.

Out of respect for my friends I have left their names out and think I've made my point about over powered cars, if he would have had a small block 302 based motor I'm certain this would not have happen. Here is a picture of me and the 208 twin turbo at Homestead.

Attachments

• 208tt at Homestead.JPG
    208tt at Homestead.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 344
Jeffrey, I think you'll find it's been worth the wait. When I bought my SPF I sold a Ferrari, gave Superformance a healthy deposit, and waited nearly three years for my GT40. I was one of the first to order, but I wanted a MKI and I had to wait a bit while they built the first run of MKII's. Since you have endorsed a little thread drift I'll attach a photo of my car barn. As you can see, you and I are kindred souls. I've been a Mangusta nut since 1970 when I visited the DeTomaso factory. I think you will find that the GT40 will deliver that which the Mangusta lacks. Although the Mangusta does have power windows....and it will keep you dry in the rain!

Attachments

• webbarn.jpg
    webbarn.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 620
Jeffrey, congrats on the new car. Sorry for the stretch here but Wondering if you and or your father could answer some Ghia/DeTomaso questions about the DeTomaso Vallelunga era. I had two - One of the 3-5 Fissore built cars and one of the Ghia's & always had questions. Let me know how to get in touch as i'm new here. Fascinating thread to find other kindered car guy spirits!...me, Ex, XK120's, Stingray'67, Vallelungas, Lusso, 246 GTS, and three SPF's..etc.
Thanks.
rcarr. P2127, #24 Daytona, #245 MKIII

Rcarr, private message sent. Likely my dad would not know much about the Vallelunga years as this pre-dates his involvement. We were there 1970-1976. But, if you send me the questions I'll forward and see if he has any insight - doubtful in this case. - Jeffrey

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I have always thought the Vallelunga and Mangusta were two of the besst looking cars of all time.

More thread drift Jeffrey for which I apologize but when I see photos like the two posted by Messers Jack Houpe and Daryl Adams I just can't resist. In a word sirs: WOW! Quite the collection of autos and beautifully displayed by each.

I've never had the financial power to purchase a collection of cars like the ones you both have but I have been blessed to have driven many of the cars shown. The 512 BB, the Dino 246, the Lamborghini Espada and of course my own GT 40.

Thank you both for posting your collections. It might be interesting to ask if you could add just one car to your respective collection what would it be.

The one car I'd love to have in mine.... The Lancia Stratos. Tix all the boxes for me.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Daryls showroom hands down is the best, I just love the displays behind each car, his vision far out see's mine. I'm a 12 pack of beer guy, things start to look better the more you drink. :)

288 GTO, Ford RS200 would be my pick, but you are very close with the Lancia Stratos.

Sean as far as a track car I had my car at Road America 2009 but didn't push it, I don't have the skills necessary to handle that amount of brute power. I use to track my twin turbo Ferrrai, it was set up for racing and is a lot of fun, but when boost comes up it doesn't blow the rear tires out, the GT40 even with avons is a hand full. In 2008 another forum member an I were at Morroso in South Florida where I was tracking the Ferrari, another friend was there with his CAV GT40 powered by KC all aluminum 427, making at least 550Hp. We had just completed the morning run and had lunch, we were sitting at the picnic tables under some trees and the driver for the GT40 (who had his competition license) asked if I wanted to go for a ride next go around and I declined and said I was going to drive the Ferrari but thanks, then an owner of a Pantera from back east said he would ride with him for the session. The GT40 was right hand drive so the passenger of course was on the left. The CAV had fuel tanks just as we have but the left hand side was the only tank with fuel, the right hand side (drivers side) had purposely been left empty to offset weight, well as I was suiting up at the starting area the GT40 came around a flat corner just before the pits and hammered it, the left rear wheel was off the track about half was on some pea gravel and the car blew out the rear tires lost control and slid sideways into a concrete flagging podium right in front of our eyes, it exploded from the impact and the hood took off 50 feet into the air. The driver had to be cut out of the car, the roll bar had saved his life but he was in bad condition, after spending a couple weeks in ICU he stayed at our home in the Florida Keys getting strength enough to make the trip back to Maryland in the back of a van, he had more pins and cables coming out of him than Iron Man. The passenger hit the driver so hard it broke 3 of his ribs. Just think there was by the grace of God no fuel in the right hand tank or it would have been over. After that I lost my nerve and really wasn't that good anyway so I do not tract race. Open road racing is totally different, driving your car at 130 MPH for 118 miles with 100 corners is an endurance test and also a test of skill. I enjoy open road racing.

Out of respect for my friends I have left their names out and think I've made my point about over powered cars, if he would have had a small block 302 based motor I'm certain this would not have happen. Here is a picture of me and the 208 twin turbo at Homestead.

Jack thanks for the freindly warning. I am going for a 302, although these days they put out alot of HP about 550, but torque way less than a 427 maybe 460 max way up the rev range, so less of a bang and more of a curve.

Dennis will spend a few days at Vir teachign me the basics. The power is much the same as the old GT40s still racing as well as a few SPF cars on track, as well as some 40s raced down under. So it can be done, hopefully. It will also have a roll cage and bladder fuel tanks and a whole host of track bits.

None of which means that without maturity and learning one cannot wipe out easily in a split second. In fact my little 195hp lotus can wipe out on a bend easily if you dont watch how the power goes down, and its esp has saved me more than once, so yeah I am scared.

Hopefully the maturity and practice is there, and the setup chosen will be more benign and gradual than ultimate grip. I think it should take a few years to learn the car. It all seems a little scary and humbling to be honest, and I keep wondering how to get throught he esses at the Glenn, since everything I drove there priviously is flat out. Once again practice practice practice with maturity, which mostly I lack.

Two crashes at the track, both spins into a wall, one in a single seater 6 years ago and the other in a LMP car 6 months ago, both times total stupidity. You have alot of time to contemplate the potential comnsequences as you rotate off towards the wall.

Maybe the track idea will be a bridge too far, but if I dont do a Gt40 at the track now then when, ie turnign 50 soon. Would really like to hear more about the openr oad race events, always wanted to do a few of those.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
After reading my post I am off 10 years, it was 1998 not 2008! I don't expect anyone to take my words to serious but I was at one time in my younger years invincible I thought, now I'm older and wiser, I never had the skill to ride the edge so I guess you could call me an admirer of those who can, you maybe one of them.

After reading my post I am off 10 years, it was 1998 not 2008! I don't expect anyone to take my words to serious but I was at one time in my younger years invincible I thought, now I'm older and wiser, I never had the skill to ride the edge so I guess you could call me an admirer of those who can, you maybe one of them.

I am getting older and wiser, hopefully will take time to find the edge. I think you give great advice and I hope to pay heed. Any car can bite and I imagine a GT40 bites real hard and quick, if I had seen what you saw... I have ben bitten more than once either though stupidity or arrogance, hopefluu there is some blance now. I do agree about the 427, sometimes you can have too much power.

I just need to climb this mountain, dont know why but do.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jeff sorry for the late answer, its an age related deal, :) as for the theater, its attached to the house, the house is like a dounut , it has 8 sides and open in the center, the theater was always in the plan when I build the house, many people thought during construction it was an inside swimming pool. The ceiling from the seating area which is 36" lower than where the cars are is 26' and painted black, there are stars that glow at night above your head. The actual size outside wall to outside wall is 44x66'. The projection unit is outdated and my plan is to change out the projector to an high def unit, we don't use the theater much unless the grandkids what to watch a movie.

Daryl I'll trade you the countach for your dino, it would look good sitting next to the espada and the dino fits in with my stuff. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1786[1].jpg
    IMG_1786[1].jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_1787[1].jpg
    IMG_1787[1].jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Engine order placed today:

- Roush 427IR ~ 560hp/540tq
- Fully Polished
- Polished eight stack injection
- Black anodized trumpets
- Intake painted black
- Pent roof FE style valve covers with integrated wire looms

Working with Ron Roberts of FireFly Performance on a set of fully polished stainless steel headers. Ron does some amazing work.

Maybe for Christmas or something I'll ask for Cook Enterprise's domed air cleaners. Those are very nice, but $$$$. Need to try to draw the line somewhere.

- Jeffrey

Attachments

• pipe3.jpg
    pipe3.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 334

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

Working with Ron Roberts of FireFly Performance on a set of fully polished stainless steel headers. Ron does some amazing work.

- Jeffrey
Now that would be eye candy! The ones we get from SPF do the trick but I think I might pull my off someday and have the inside ceramic coated.

Reports are P2304 has left the factory and is headed directly for Michigan. Likely to arrive first week in May....or so. Crazy long Michigan winter (we still have a foot of snow on the ground) makes the wait a little more tolerable. It's likely at least three weeks before the snow has melted.

- Jeffrey

Thanks Jack! Further conversation with the dealer suggests the car may have left South Africa as much as 10-12 days ago. He expects it here in Mid April. Hoping the engine, trans, wheels and tires all arrive about the same time. That and some decent weather would be great!

Hopefully arrival/unload photos to be posted in a month.

- Jeffrey

Back