P2304

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Jeffrey - you didn't want to paint your car maize and blue?

Personally, I think green and white would be the ideal color! My bias.....

Thanks Jack! Further conversation with the dealer suggests the car may have left South Africa as much as 10-12 days ago. He expects it here in Mid April. Hoping the engine, trans, wheels and tires all arrive about the same time. That and some decent weather would be great!

Hopefully arrival/unload photos to be posted in a month.

- Jeffrey

As much as snow is a drag right now, you should be driving your new GT40 by June then if not ssoner. All good things come to those who wait.

P2304 scheduled to arrive in New York port on April 9th. Certainly not missing any good driving days in Michigan yet.

- Jeffrey

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
We had almost 80 yesterday, then bad storms and 50 for a high today. You guys have been slammed with bad weather, I feel for you. April 9th is not that far off!

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Jeffrey, by the time you receive the car from Dennis, Winter will be a distant memory for you. But hopefully it won't start snowing again in Michigan by late July.....

Thanks Jack, Jim, Dave! The install will be done by RM Motorsports in Wixom Michigan. RM has extensive experience with Vintage racing, have original GT40s in their care as well as a few Superformance GT40's. In addition to Vintage racing, they do all sorts of high end restoration/fabrication work. There is nothing on a car they cannot fabricate from scratch. There work is simply perfect. One of their most notable customers is the royal family of Thailand. Clearly they don't have the same Superformance GT40 experience as Dennis (no one does), but they bring a number of other advantages that were important to me. They are also local and have a close working relationship with Roush (also local).

I'm waiting on the engine from Roush and the RBT. Yep, a year and a half of waiting for the roller and I still was unable to get the engine and the trans ahead of time :) The arrival of the car in mid April did surprise me a bit - was pessimistically expecting early May. The engine and trans should be ready next week and we can get going on putting things together. I expect to be on the road mid May.

- Jeffrey

Jeffrey, Wish I'd have known you were waiting on your Roush Motor as I ran into Jack at the St. Pete Gran Prix. I could have mentioned you were waiting and maybe he could have pushed your order to the front. (If he couldn't who could!!) He's a nice guy who enjoys knowing his engines are used in cars like the GT 40.

Jimmy, thanks for the thought! It's mostly my fault as I was not expecting the car until beginning of May. Roush is about a week or so behind their originally suggested time frame. Possibly one or two of the things I have specified on my motor took a little longer than expected. For example, I've specified a fully polished motor, but I'm having my intake painted black. Or maybe the GT40 specific FEAD or oil pan caused delays. Who knows. It's a happy time knowing the car is just up the road for me to go visit even if I can't quite drive it yet. Next week's photos should show a roller on wheels and tires :)

- Jeffrey

Jeffrey,
Congratulations on the car. Can you please provide some info on the tires and wheels you are using? Although I'm not building a SPF, I plan to use a set up similar to yours when the time comes.

Thanks guys! Jonathan, the rims are the standard Superformance BRMs that are cut and widened 2 inches I think. Obviously the tires are AVONs. I don't have all the detailed specs on the wheels and tires, but I will get them and post an update.

Richard, no issues at all with shipping. It came in a container with three Cobras. All were in perfect condition. I was talking to a guy at the dealership and he said they all seem to come through without indecent. A remarkable process. The jigs they are mounted on are bolted to the container floor so they can't move. The jigs are scrapped after use. About the only issue is some minor dust and a few places where the polishing compound is still on the car. Could use a little cleaning and a maybe a very light wheeling out. Paint looks really, really good. I saw one minor paint drip in a very inconspicuous place that might need a little attention to ensure it does not chip off. Panel fit and gaps are incredible. Doors, clips, everything - exceeds expectation. We'll see how the paint really looks after it's cleaned up a bit, but looks good so far. I see no orange peel, and none of the roof-filler issues some seemed to report. It simply looks as it should.

Still waiting on engine and trans. Enjoying the process at this point. Since the car is only 20 minutes away it's fun to go check out the progress. Here are some photos of the car on wheels and tires. Had to use Photobucket as the files are too big to upload directly here.

Superformance GT40 Slideshow by LIONDOGRR | Photobucket

- Jeffrey

Last edited:

Steve

Supporter
Looks awesome Jeff!

Can you find out the color of the blue Cobra? I think it's guardsman blue. Thanks.

Steve

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Jeffrey, are you installing 3M film or something equivalent on the front clip? That will help protect your nice new paint! I also recommend placing a small protective piece where the fuel filler caps hit, and around the windshield wiper assembly as well. The car looks fantastic!

Steve, Todd Andrews (Superformance Dealer) tells me the color is called "Shelby Guardsman Blue". It seems to be a lighter shade than what I recall Guardsman blue to be. To me it looks more like Galaxy blue. I'll see if I can find out more about the color history next time I see him.

Dave, yep I'm thinking about 3M or something. I sort of debate protecting the car with 3M vs. just letting it happen and repainting a few years down the road. It's sort of like Grandma's sofa protectors. Yep, sure, they protected the sofa, but they looked like crap. What's the point of having a flawless finish if it's covered with crappy looking film? I've never seen a film I thought looked ok. Same with under-nose protectors. Slap an ugly piece of aluminum or something under the nose so the nose stays flawless - and covered by an ugly piece of aluminum. I'd rather look at a few scratches and just get them fixed every few years. Ultimately I will likely succumb to 3M.

- Jeffrey

Jeffrey- congratulations on your new SPF. You might consider 3M's Paint Defender in a spray can. I was skeptical, but it's less noticeable than the vinyl film and can handle complex curves with no problem. It took a little practice to get a run free application, but peels off like cellophane if you make a mistake. I've had it on my SPF for about a year now. It's thinner than vinyl film, but has stopped all rock chips. It probably needs to be redone every year or two as slight dings or tears do occur in the plastic film.

Back