P4 with Maserati V-8?

BDP

CURRENTLY BANNED
Thanks for the suggestion of the LS7 motor, which is a fabulous lump that sounds great and makes a lot of grunt. It is not that cheap however at $15,000, and it would not sound like a "Ferrari" no matter what I did to the exhaust. Even though the Maserati engine is technically not a Ferrari engine, I would feel a lot better about my car knowing that at least it is very similar to the Ferrari F430 motor, and will sound almost as good as well. These motors are available for $6000-$9000 complete, but need a stand alone ecu to work...and perhaps a Ferrari badge on them as well....:drunk:

At 400-440 horsepower this engine cannot compete with the LS7 engine for power. As the RCR P4 weighs around 2400 pounds the car will be plenty quick with the Maserati motor and sound almost like a Ferrari without spending $20,000+ on a real F360/F430 engine...

1967_Ferrari_330P44.jpg

Why does a race car have a spare tire? Lol?

BDP,

is the Maser a flat crank engine? If it isn't, it's going to sound like the Chevy, but will be much more $ to maintain.

BDP

CURRENTLY BANNED
BDP,

is the Maser a flat crank engine? If it isn't, it's going to sound like the Chevy, but will be much more $ to maintain.

The Maserati V8 sounds very much like a Ferrari motor, unlike the Chevy Ls7. It does not have a flat crank...but neither did the original for that matter...or a V8! Not sure why the Maserati will cost way more to maintain? Have you owned a Maserati and had huge service bills? Everyone I have spoken to that own a car with one of those motors say how little service they need in comparison to the Ferrari?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I have one of three twin turbo LP400 engines Bob Wallace built just behind my seat here at my house, rumored to make 600HP in the mid 80s when aftermarket EFI was non existent. Those 12 cylinders still would sound great without the turbos but putting a lambo engine in a Ferrari would not be my choice. What about the Ferrari 400a or 412a engines, they are bullet proof and you can buy a whole car for almost nothing, steal the engine and drop a 350 in it and lock the hood? Just my thoughts, but if you want a V12 lambo, I got it. I think the current Maserati engine was developed by Ferrari, could be its even made there, not sure.

BDP

CURRENTLY BANNED
I have one of three twin turbo LP400 engines Bob Wallace built just behind my seat here at my house, rumored to make 600HP in the mid 80s when aftermarket EFI was non existent. Those 12 cylinders still would sound great without the turbos but putting a lambo engine in a Ferrari would not be my choice. What about the Ferrari 400a or 412a engines, they are bullet proof and you can buy a whole car for almost nothing, steal the engine and drop a 350 in it and lock the hood? Just my thoughts, but if you want a V12 lambo, I got it. I think the current Maserati engine was developed by Ferrari, could be its even made there, not sure.

Ferrari builds the Maserati engine. Here is a sound clip of the old 4.2 motor:

YouTube - Maserati Quattroporte exhaust sound (MUST hear!!!)

Sounds like a Ferrari to me?? :shocked:

The Ferrari 400 V-12 is too big and will cut into the cabin space according to Fran, plus it is a heavier motor and makes less power than the Maserati V-8. The new 4.7 liter motor is the way to go I think for my build next year, with around 450 horsepower which is the same as the original cars.

never owned a Maser, my old M5 is expensive enough to maintain. Day to day may not be anymore expensive than a Chevy, but if you ever break parts, replace bearings etc, everything is more expensive to fix than a Chevy or Ford V8.

I'm guessing the Maser from the video has an X-pipe in the exhaust, that tends to reduce the "blatting" of a cross plane crank.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I think the Maser is a great idea so long as you can find someone to tune a stand alone computer/ECU and give you good drivability..

I do that, have 6 cars under my belt of my own that have been converted to Electromotive and helped with many. I even have a rear wheel dyno for tuning.(currently needs a news a new cpu) The sound from the Maserati is music but I will agree with Jack, bang for the buck and reliability is the LS motor is the best buy. If I would not be hung with a short rope, I would say the best motor for a GT40 too, I know there is at least one guy on the forum that agrees with me.

I love the LS engines for all of the above and the new LS9 is a peach, superb internals etc etc but over $20k....I really do like the idea of a Maserati V8 though....the 400/365 V12 is a big beast and it does impact cockpit space...so not ideal in many respects

BDP

CURRENTLY BANNED
I love the LS engines for all of the above and the new LS9 is a peach, superb internals etc etc but over $20k....I really do like the idea of a Maserati V8 though....the 400/365 V12 is a big beast and it does impact cockpit space...so not ideal in many respects

I also think the LS9 is a great chocie, but the sound and the price of the Maserati motor has me convinced it would be a good option for my car. As for the GT40 the new Coyote motor would be the way to go, and with a Ford racing blower package it is a bargain making 624 horsepower for only $15,000! 450 horsepower with the Maserati motor should be plenty quick for me. Fran do you see any issues with the new transaxle you have coming out mating up to this engine? Will it be a 6 speed unit? Thanks.

All of the lambo v12's are run with the transaxle ahead of the engine with a prop shaft either running to the side or under the motor. Some engineering is going to be required to get the engine to work in anything other than lambo... The gallardo v10 is mounted in the traditional way and has a nice trans.. maybe thats a better option?

marc

Lifetime Supporter
I was going to put some super quiet mufflers on mine and a 4000w amp and ferrari "sound clip" with some really big speakers. Slap some panels (painted with a F1 V12) over the engine and pocket the 30k to 50k and the hassle of dealing with F co. and call it a day.

Just BS.

If you have a Maser do a Maser. If you want F than get F'd (buy one ; ' )
I went with the ls7 for 2 reasons easy parts find, and more hp than either of the choices with a lot less config grief. (cheap would been easier to go SBC or SBF as they have more around)
Don't forget the additional cost of specially made motor to trans plate. and the clutch arrangement. I would have Fran do that (not to torture you Fran).

The maser 4.2/4.7 is a peach. I'm pretty sure it's the same block as the 430 engine, and I think the heads are even the same. All that differs is the intake/plenum configuration I'm pretty sure, although I do recall reading that the maser engine is about 15 hp/tq down the ferrari engine. They go for half the price of the 430 engine. It'll sound nice/appropriate for your P4. Go for it.

Back