Period correct big block?

The FE will be period correct if you go with the MkII configuration . You will have to use a ZF as I don't believe anyone makes an adapter to mate the Audi, Renault, or Porsche transaxle to it.

Ford originally went with the ZF mated to the BB, but it continued to fail because of the immense torque. They went to a custom made transaxle called the T44, which used the innards of a Toploader transmission.

Holmon-Moody makes the T44 at a cost of $35K if you want one. Otherwise, use the ZF but treat it carefully.

Bill D

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Dean,

Probably not. If memory serves, the largest engine associated with Gulf sponsorship was the 351 cu in, used in the the Mirage chassis in 1967. It was the GT40 Mk2 and Mk4 models were packing the big FE engines at the time but, due to the rule changes re engine size for Le Mans in 1968 (where 'production' cars were limited to 5 litres and prototypes such as the Mirage would be allowed only 3 litres), anything over a 302 was history.

On the other hand, this is YOUR car. Build your car exactly as your dream tells you!

Best,

T.

Dean, I personally think that a 427 in a gt40 will open up a big can of worms as far as driveability goes. fit,tranny problems ,cooling all will be issues that may take away some of the fun. Fortunatly these cars are period correct with the small block and much like your Kirkham I think you will find it satisfying.

Thanks, it was just a thought. I just got back from a drive in the Kirkham 289 (408) and I quickly realized how fun a well built small block can be. I think it would take a heck of an FE to catch this car! I think you are all right, the small block will work great.

Is the only reason it's hard to find a tranny is because of the engine being in back, and the axle also being in the back, so the tranny is completely different from a front engine, rear drive? I don't think cooling would be a big issue, I think the only real issues would be the tranny being able to handle LOTS of torque, and the extra ~200lbs of the BB, but I would also think that if the tranny can handle a well build SB, than why can't you machine an adapter to put the BB on that tranny?

Last edited:

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Kennedy made me an adapter for a 427 side oiler to Porsche G50. Unfortunately they are still in the original boxes.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Hammer-

It's the difference between torque and horsepower. Horsepower will spin the gears, torque will try to force them (and the case, R&P, etc...) apart.

Chris

oh, I know ALL about that, so that gearbox won't handle that kind of torque then huh?.....oh well, I guess SB it is!

Back