pony power

hello guys,
i got a chance to read some posts, and i must give you guys some major props. i am new to the forum, and new to building replicas as well. i have two question i hope you guys may be able to shed a little light on. first i have been doing alot of research on how to pump my pony up to around 400hp before the supercharger. i was looking into maybe building my engine to a 331 stroker. i was reading an article about this setup when combined with a good set of head and a big carb the 400hp mark was achived with ease. i would however like to keep my motor efi so that in the future when all the kinks are ironed out i can add the supercharger if the tranny allows it. do any of you have a perfered top end induction package you would recommend with the 331, and is that a good place to start. keep in mind i am learning as i go on this project. i have been fortunate to have had the pleasure of forums like this one and the boys on kit central to help ease the learning curve and save alot of money on mistakes:D . so i ask before i act. im sure this is a redundant question and i apoligize up front,boom but you have to star somewhere. question number 2 i know this is not a lambo based forum but the question involves a powersteering set up. for my application i will be using a power steering unit from a 84 chevette. will i be able to run this off of the powersteering on my engine or do you guys know of a ford rack i can use. i look forward to the input.
thanks
johnrockon

after reading the post on power steering forget that question. ouch

Last edited:

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
John, after a slap-dash engine build to get thru rego before the rules changed, I now seem to have a major lifter problem. A "proper" engine rebuild was always on the plans, so this has just brought it forward.

I have done heaps of research on what to do (most of which was kindly provided by Bill M) & have concluded like you that a 331 is the way to go. I have AFR 165 heads, & from what I have read, this combo (with a not-too-outgageous cam) should be able to pull 400hp on an under 6000rpm street engine. If you want more hp @ higher revs, the general feeling seems to be the higher-flow AFR 185's or 205's.

I am re-using my DC&O 8-stack setup (with the Autronic ECU), but this might be a challenge for you as they are all Oz built. In the US, TWM seem to have the running in this area.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Back