Price of gas.

I don't know about all you other GT-40 owners, but the price of gas is forcing me to drive very little. I have had to change my gas gauge so I can keep track of how much it is costing me. Joseph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Attachments

• 64012-priceofgas.JPG
    64012-priceofgas.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 213

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Yep, we were all having a bitch about fuel prices a year or two ago - and now its almost doubled ! Here in Oz, it has climbed up to over A$1.30/litre (which I think works out around US$3.70/US Gal).

What's it like elsewhere ?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

i own a petrol station in the uk we work off a system called platts which gives us the cost of our fuel per litre we make approx £0.03 gbp per litre on the cost of a uk litre being £0.94 gbp in the past two days the platts price (cost to us) has gone up by over £0.08p per litre the £1 per litre or £4.546 uk gallon is comming soon
chris
sorry for putting the dampners on the weekend
look on the bright side gordon brown is getting very rich
anybody looed at doing a diesel conversion LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guys its everywhere the same,today in Belgium I paid 1,48€/L.But hey its not because your children eat a lot you don't like them.the weekend here looks good so we will sure drive the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The price for pump fuel is getting high enough, that it's almost worth looking at AvGas (100 octane low lead), if you can run leaded fuel.

Ron Earp

Admin
Don't complain. I think our UK comrades are paying about $5.50 to $6 a gallon, or at least that was what it worked out to when I was in the UK in June filling Malcolm's GT40 and tow car. And, my German friends are up to about $7.14 per gallon last I checked, which was a few days ago. Think about driving if you had to pay those prices, it really does become a luxury and would certainly change a lot of folks' driving habits.

R

Ron,
went passed a filling station here in Essex that was £1.03/l yesterday. At current rate of about 1.8 that's a stonking $8.34/gallon (Imp) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Brett

I have been left-handedly watching the future's prices of gasoline. Used to deal the commoditie's markets in my younger days. Silver and others, but more to the point, the wholesale price of gasoline hit a high of around $3.15 a gallon some time back and has made some major price moves in recent days, dropping a whooping $.18 in one day, when the average move is $.02-.03 per day. The current price difference in the future's 90 days out and up to a year out seem to indicate a better picture of things to come. Down to about $1.85 a gallon wholesale before any taxes are added in. What this all translates to is a dropping in the price of gas in the near future. With everybody(read European) opening up their reserves to help modulate the near term shortages caused by Katrina, the price per barrel of oil has dropped significantly. Until the monopoly Arabs decide they have made enough billions, the price will stay fairly high. We probably won't see $1.50 a gallon in the U. S. again, but probably in the $2.00-$2.25 range is what WE will see.

Bill

Bill,

I never thought I'd be saying this, but I certainly hope

you are correct on the $2 per gallon figure! Sooner than

later, s'il vous plait!!

Bill

Keith

My local fuel emporium had regular gas at $8.16 (converted at today's tourist rate) per UK gallon today, and it's due to rise again. Enjoy your cheap gas while you can! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Boy do I hope you are right!!! However I doubt it. With the expansion of the economies in both China and India I think we will see an ever increasing demand for oil and all of its derivatives for some time to come. We may see an occasional down turn, but think continiously up is more likely. Drive less and enjoy it more - get a 40!!

Since the comodities markets are world wide, I would think that the prices would affect other coutries than the U. S.. Not withstanding the influences of local governments all should take a dip. Yes the world usage is shifting toward China and India, and without the opening of new fields in Anwar and the like, along with the lack of new refineries, and the age of the current ones, I believe the price of oil will recede only slightly. When, not if, the auto makers decide to shift from galoline to peanut oil/alcohol for diesels, and hydrogen/electric/alcohol or whatever for automobiles, will the price of oil really come down.
If the automakeres had our interest at heart, they couldvery simply do something similar to the following:

1. Like Brazil, convert all gasoline based engines to alcohol/alcohol blend.
2. Convert, or adapt all diesels to peanut oil/alcohol.

If just these two things happened, oil would be reduced to not much more than a lubricant. It's price would fall to where it's real price of production is..... less than a dollar. Way less than a dollar. The up side is that the farmers would become the new Arabs. The lowly soybean has now been genecticly engineered to take over many aspects of products that are petroeum based. The new spray on/expanding insulation used in the housing industry is now soybean based. More and more products that are petroleum based are, through research, being converted. With the price of oil so high, the research is easily written off. If you reemember back in the late 70's, thanks to Jimmy Carter and his adeptness at fiscal monitary policy, the solar and alcohol research(among others) boomed. There was a magazine called "The Mother Earth News" that was based in Hendersonville N. C. before it moved to upstate N.Y. that furnished plans(rather cheaply I might add) for converting small cars to hybrid/electric with a lawnmotor engine charger that got well over 100miles/gal. a truck(which I rode in) that ran on wood gas produced by charcoaling, and plans for making your own alcohol still among others. Plans to build Rammed Earth homes, which were basicly sandstone, without a lot of cost, mostly muscle. Log homes built with firewood rather than logs. You could build a cabin/home on site with a chainsaw,splitter and a little concrete/mortar. The point is, as oil continues its upward march, it does it right up to the edge of the cliff that will be its own undoing.

Bill

Hawaii just passed the first gas cap law Sept. 1st based on mainland prices including Gulf area. It did just the opposite of what it was supposed to do. Prices went from $2.80 to $3.50.

[ QUOTE ]
along with the lack of new refineries, and the age of the current ones, I believe the price of oil will recede only slightly.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does a(n alleged) lack of refineries affect crude prices? I can see it having an effect on gasoline prices, but can't really see how that would have anything to do with crude prices (except perhaps to lower them, as a limit in refining capacity puts an upper bound on the demand for this sector of the market).

Although it's true, as we've often heard that no new refineries have been built in the US since 1976 (and in fact there are fewer refineries today than there were then), refining capacity has actually increased since 1995 or so, and in fact is higher today than it was in 1985(Chart) . How can that be? Because existing plants have expanded their capacity . These refineries are also running at a higher level of capacity utilization, and they really need to do that to be profitable. As the article linked above says, "[t]he gasoline refining market is about as close to the model of "perfect competition" as you're going to find outside of an economics textbook."

I don't think the lack of refinerys has anything to do with oil prices. It limits the amount of gas produced. If the demand is higher than the production, the price goes up. The price of oil has to do with the needs of the users. With China geearing up along with India etc. the demand for oil increases and that drives up the cost of the product. That feature in and of itself will cause the price of gas to go up in the U. S. at least because the cost of the raw product is rising, ergo the price of the finished product will rise as well. I probably should have said the exploration rather than the refineries. But as the efficiency of the refinerys goes up along with their age, the cost of upkeep and maintenance goes up as well.
If you remember, as the price of oil(gas)declined and the mileage figures for cars fell off, and the cars got bigger and bigger, the demand for gas went up. We have more people driving with each year that passes. With more usage and limited production and worse fuel mileage,the price climbs higher.

Bill

J

JOHNBGT40

Can't afford the gas....your in the wrong hobby! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
No doubt about that. We're starting to plan our budget and pit assignments for our 13 Hour Enduro coming up at VIR. We're trying to run three cars, but gas is a major concern now. Last year it was $1.70 gallon for 93 octane, this year it is looking more like $3.30 in that rural area of Virginia we'll be at. We're over 100 gallons per car for the race, so it'll be pricey. I think the cost will drop though before too much longer.

R

Charlie M

Supporter
I've seen prices below $2.90 here in MA yesterday, down from $3.45 a week ago. Let's hope it keeps going down.

In the meantime I've dusted off my '72 Harley Sportster and I'm riding that to work now.

Charlie

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Not likely with the price of crude jumping $4.00+ usd per barrel today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Back