R c r 904

The owner of this car has found a software engineer that will be remapping this, he has told us to expect 340-350hp with his enlarged throttle body and cal....:thumbsup:

Yes. I have the Porsche factory race plenum and software. Scott regularly has free upgrades to his software.....great guy to work with.

I look forward to seeing this beauty in more detail. (Are you going to put this on your wife's CS as well? :2thumbsup:)

The car is in primer right now. We are hoping to go to paint by the end of the month. I will be there Monday and will try to get some pictures.

Wow, super cool project. Really nice workmanship and creativity! That'll be a fair bit faster than the original! And, probably a bit safer too. Once or twice a year we get to see an original 904 and an original 906 going full bore at the local vintage racing and it's a sight to be seen. I doubt anyone except hard core porsche guys will be able to tell the difference.

One quick question if anyone knows - why go with a cayman s engine rather than an old skool air cooled 911 engine? The cayman engine looks quite a bit different than the original with the plenum there on top (but no doubt a bunch more reliable and efficient!) from a visuals standpoint.

Love to see some more pics! Love to see her on the track too!

Not using early 911 power because of my last project. It was an Intermeccanica 59 Carrera GT Speedster with a 2.7 RS from a 73 911. The Webers were impossible. They sounded great for a week or so and then I'd have problems. There are no good early Porsche mechanics in our area that I could find - I went through a number of them. I wanted the higher power and the benefits of efi.

The plan was to have the intake be below the deck. During the initial mockup, it looked like it would fit. Later when the body sat where it needed to go, it fit a lot better.

In either case, it does not matter. This car will have an Outlaw approach - it will have the feel of the era but it departs from original. I never liked the 904 instrument panel - so we will do our own thing. We have some other surprises up our sleeve.

I chased unobtanium parts on the Carrera GT Speedster and later decided that it wasn't worth it.

Furthermore, after sitting in a real 904 at Fran's shop, I was surprised at the build quality or better yet the lack of it.

My car will be much faster and nicer.

THats my story and I'm stickin with it.

"Later when the body sat where it needed to go, it fit a lot better."

I meant that it fit a lot lower not better.

Not using early 911 power because of my last project. It was an Intermeccanica 59 Carrera GT Speedster with a 2.7 RS from a 73 911. The Webers were impossible. They sounded great for a week or so and then I'd have problems. There are no good early Porsche mechanics in our area that I could find - I went through a number of them. I wanted the higher power and the benefits of efi.

The plan was to have the intake be below the deck. During the initial mockup, it looked like it would fit. Later when the body sat where it needed to go, it fit a lot better.

In either case, it does not matter. This car will have an Outlaw approach - it will have the feel of the era but it departs from original. I never liked the 904 instrument panel - so we will do our own thing. We have some other surprises up our sleeve.

I chased unobtanium parts on the Carrera GT Speedster and later decided that it wasn't worth it.

Furthermore, after sitting in a real 904 at Fran's shop, I was surprised at the build quality or better yet the lack of it.

My car will be much faster and nicer.

THats my story and I'm stickin with it.

Got it Mike. Understood. Yup, no doubt your cayman engine with efi will be a lot more tractable and powerful and smoother than the original. The Outlaw approach is a good one. I've really admired some of the super creative Outlaw 356s out there. Your 904 is going to be the ultimate Outlaw however!

That RS engine you had (with the webers) was probably a fair bit more highly tuned (and finicky) than your average run of the mil 3.0 sc engine with webers. PMO makes a nice set up that works well on a 3.0sc engine incidentally - quite reliable/non-fidgety as far as carbs go.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your 904 on the road and track!

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
The Outlaw approach is a good one. I've really admired some of the super creative Outlaw 356s out there.

A lot of the 356 and 550 Spyder replicas these days are using the Subaru WRX "boxer" motor.....very short engine, insane power and fwd, ought to really make for a scary fast ride when converted to mid engine/rwd!

I'd bet one would really make one of Fran's 904's get up and scoot......:thumbsup:

Doug

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
They may be fast but I just can't stand the sound from those Subaru engines.. They sound like a ticked off 2 cylinder washing machine to me...

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
That was constructive!

I guess I have gotten used to the sound as I work for Subaru and have heard many modified Subarus - and watched them kick butt!

Keith

They may be fast but I just can't stand the sound from those Subaru engines.. They sound like a ticked off 2 cylinder washing machine to me...

No doubting their engineering excellence, just sounds like a plug lead off to me..... and it makes my eyes water. Can't stand the sound.

Used to have an Alfasud boxer and it was sweet as a nut. Don't understand the Scooby....:huh:

Sorry for straying into hallowed territory..:uneasy:

I had a 550 Spyder from Vintage with a 2.0L Subaru Turbo JDM. While the power was nice, the sound was wrong for the car. I think that the sound of 2.5 L NA might be better suited to a 904 and/or 550.

The bigger problem with the 550 was the suspension (scary at speed) and the brakes.

The car was too fast for its own good. That is the reason for modern suspension, brakes and engine on the 904.

You can see and hear it here YouTube - Vintage 550 Porsche Spyder - Subaru 2.0 Turbo II.

Strangely enough, I have a lot less in the Cayman engine and trans than it would cost to do a hopped up VW or subaru or 3.0L air cooled engine.

As for the delays, while I would like to have it done faster, I also realize that this is a one-off with a lot of trick stuff.

Back