Race Winner seeks Car with co-driver-navigator

This year I entered some Open Road Racing events. As a rookie I was able to win the 2002 Grand Touring division of the American Open Road Racing Championship. I drove 2001 Mustang SVT Cobra in the 125 mph class (speed ranged from 95 mph to ~140 mph). My prize fore winning this division, is a free entry next year.

Depending on safety equipment, cars may enter touring, grand touring, grand sport, super sport, or unlimited divisions (www.openroadracing.com). I can bring back a car I own to this event, but I would like to attend with a GT40 or GT40 replica.

Since, it is not likely that I will own gt40; I have a suggestion: I am willing to offer my free entry prize to create team with a GT40 owner. I would consider cars capable for any division, including a slower touring division entry. I would be in the car as a navigator/driver.

The car owner could use this as an unusual promotion for GT40s.

My email address is [email protected]. The races are in Nevada in June, July and August of 2003.

I suppose it helped a little that you were the only one in the 125 mph class who entered at least 2 events, and therefore you were the only one eligible for the championship in that class
wink.gif

Actually, this looks like a lot of fun. They run at high speed on closed highways in Nevada. Web page is here. Not this year for me, though - I've got to keep my car's warranty in effect.

Oops! I read the results wrong. Looks like Clark & Lasson in the 120MPH target speed group ran 2 events, so were eligible for the championship as well...

I would need to purchase personal safety equipment for a ride in an unlimited class, and even if the event were a two way trip I might not want to drive someone elses car at unlimited speeds.

A grand sport or super sport class would better suit my driving skill level. I would be willing to navigate, and purchase my own personal gear for certain kinds of entries. Can you provide more information. You might want to check the rules for last year's safety requirements (new rules may be upcoming).

BTW, my brother already zinged with the "so they could only find one other guy to race against you" gag. It was a small race series of only three races. I came in third of three in race one, first of three in race two, and second of three in the third race.

Sounds like a fair option. We should keep in touch as the year proceeds. Which event interested you most?

[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: Neil Berry ]

Just curious. What sort of event is the American Open Road Racing Championship? Is it a series, or is it over a single week like our Targa Tasmania? Public roads or race track?

[ October 24, 2002: Message edited by: Chris L ]

The American Open Road Champion ship is the race series run by MKM productions (www.openroadracing.com). There are other races by other promoters (Sand Hill, Big Bend, Silver State).

The MKM race series involves three races on streches of Nevada highway that are closed for the better part of a Sunday. Usually 50 miles to 80 miles of road gets closed. A fifty mile section usually means the event will run up and back the course.

The contestants pick a speed (mph) target 95, 100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 150, 165, and up. The goal is to cross the finish line as close to the target time as possible. Safety requirements limit you and your car. In order to compete in the Grand Toruing class, I needed a harness bar, harnesses, fire extiguisher, and personal safety wear. The higher divisions require more. The are divisions which reach 200 mph.

The roads are smooth and wide, but do have some turns and off road drops. This series offer me a chance to drive at higher speeds. I had to watch my top end though, since all drivers have speed ranges which might disqualify. My range was 95-140mph, and the car could have gone faster.

Since it takes place in relatively uninhabitied areas of Nevada desert, there are not alot of spectators. The best promotional pictures would gotten from a follow aircraft, unless you could get 20+ film crews to take road footage.

[ October 24, 2002: Message edited by: Neil Berry ]

My winning season in the Grand Touring division of the American Open Road Racing series has been chronicled in the Nov/Dec 2002 issue of the "SVT Enthusiast" (I drove a stock 2001 SVT Mustang Cobra exclusively last year). This issue features a FORD "GT" on the cover. Must be fate.

Check out www.openroadracing.com for the 2003 schedule. In 2003, the rookie discount has been changed to require a sponser. I would be happy to sponser any GT40 rookie (allowing $50 discount for each of us).

Say Gordon Levy, did you check the the rules. The rules updates will happen sometime after January. Rules also might require a competition license for new drivers in the higher speed classes.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordon Levy:
I am building one for myself. I woud like to compete in the unlimited or like class. Think you can handle riding with me?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll ride with you. And you can use my 3200 sq. ft. shop for the prep before the race.

I would feel better with you driving. The navagation and route prep can be very important and I would take it seriously.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordon Levy:
Neil, I am already licensed nationally.

Bart, Be careful what you wish for. There is a long list of people that won't ride with me.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which class did you think you would run?

This is an opening for someone.

The Team Challenge leader of the MKM Open Road racing promoters has announced a $2000 award for the Team that wins at the Bonneville 100.

Team members get a discount based on team entries. A team with 20 members get 20% off. The Corvette team (Looking Glass) wins most years due to the large number of Vettes that enter.

I expect to enter in only one race, so I am not a candidate to lead a team.

I might suggest that someone form a team that can attact from a larger participant base.

Team Replicar?

Some are more humorous options:
Team East of the Rockies
Team Detroit Owned
Team Grass Root Motorsports (anyone with a magazine sticker qualifies)

Gordon Levy,

The rules have been posted on the mkm site. Could you look them over and let know which class you wanted to enter. Since you seem to have a comp licence, some of the rookie requirements may be waived. I would also like to see some pictures of "our" car.

BTW, how much do you cars sell for?

To all others: the new rules are now posted at www.openroadracing.com

Don't you just hate it when wives do that. Mine has been watching me race for 20 years and surprized I haven't turned myself into wall pizza yet. Remember, I race mostly Cobras, one of the most ill handling cars raced.

My wife asked me to retire from racing, but realized that with the championship prize that I was going to attend one more. She was clear that I may not take a navigator (liability).

Today my wife has decided that a ride in a GT40 is too fast for her husband. I used my upcoming birthday wish, but she did not relent.

Gordon Levy,
I hope this will not present a hardship, but I guess that I am stuck driving one of my vehicles alone.

Back