Registration in Queensland

Doing some investigating in the hope of building a R.F. replica starting in 12 to 18 months. If anybody has or will be registering there GT40 in queensland was it a hassle and hints to overcome them.

Thanks

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
I think you'll find that both RF & DRB have got all the mechanical & safety issues sorted out for rego in QLD. The only wildcard is the engine/emissions.

I understand that QLD & VIC have a "rolling 5-year rule" - any stock engine (& stock ECU) from an Australian registered car less than 5 years old will just get an automatic ok.

Modified engines are a different animal - in VIC, you will need to have it tested for emissions to prove it meets that same standards that were in place 5 years ago (NOTE : not 5 years from now, but 5 years from when you are basically finished). At the moment, I think that would be ADR 37/01, & a short cycle test (IM 240) is available at a few places in VIC.

QLD is another story - there are quite a few '40 owners in limbo with modified engines. Much the same rules apply as in VIC, but there is no certified testing facility in QLD. QT seems to be saying that it needs to meet the 5-year specs, but can't offer any suggestions as to how to prove that, other than taking the car to NSW or VIC !

The key thing to consider is your projected build time. If you think that you may finish the car after Jan 09, then ADR 79/00 will be the standard to meet (5 years after they came in). The general feeling is that nobody can get a 302-based engine to meet these specs. However, I believe that RF & DRB are able to provide designs which will take the newer 4.6L engine, & it is a fair bet that Ford will continue to ensure it meets the current regs for many years to come.

You really need to talk to Robert Logan (RF) &/or Peter Ransom (DRB) to establish what their policies are. There is no way anyone could give you a cast-iron guarantee on ADR's beyond the currently known date for the next change, so you need to establish their "cut-off" points.

Hints : Start as soon as you can (rules won't get any easier in the future), get the thing built fast & registered in primer (worry about nice things like paint & hot engines after rego).

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Peter thanks for the info,
I thought that emissions would be a problem the five year rule is interesting, better than I figured on. I've heard mention of the 4.6l motor going into the design I wonder if a 5.4lt from a BA falcon would fit there should be some wrecked xr8 in a few years time.
I quess its time to start saving and stop dreaming.

Regards Scott

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Scott - good luck & as you say, start saving !!

I have heard some muttering about the 5.4 being shoehorned in - again, its worth an in depth discussion with RF & DRB about this option.

On the positive side, my guess is that Ford won't change the 4.6 / 5.4 engines for a long, long time - they will just tweak them to keep meeting the standards. If you start building a car that can take these, it would be a reasonably safe bet that you can leave the engine until the end & be fairly confidant that you can get something stock that meets the regs - particularly in QLD where you have the rolling 5 year rule.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Peter,
As far as i'm aware, the 5.4L is difficult to fit in, but the 4.6L does fit.
How is YOUR rego saga going? You must be nearly there??

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Scott, if you email me I can send you a copy of the Qld
Gov vehicle standards intruction policy for Individually
constructed vehicles (ICVs).

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Whilst I haven't seen an installation, I am told that the 5.4 is an even taller engine than the 4.6, & that the crank-line is higher - could cause some issues with driveshaft angles ?

There is an enormous amount of info on what can be done with the old small-blocks, but does anyone have any clues on where things are up to on the 4.6 (boring, stroking, heads, stack injection, etc) ?

Tim, I have pretty much everything sorted out (except the handbrake, which is borderline - it will get sorted out, either before rego if necessary, or after rego if I am lucky). I'm now just waiting for a time slot to do the brake & noise tests, & have the last few ADR requirements checked off. If all that goes ok, the Engineer's Report goes in to the RTA for approval & we are in the lap of the Gods (self appointed !). When is your baby due ?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Peter,
There is heaps of stuff available for the 4.6L. 8-stacks etc. Mostly US based, but i have spoken to the guy that tickled up my Maloo Ute (5,7LS1) and he says he can do plenty to the 4.6 to trick it up.
A major milestone for me this week. Go my first photos from RF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
The chassis is panelled and the body fitment will start next week. The 1000km between me and the "baby" is driving me nuts. I really want to see it progressing but it is a long way to travell for a sneaky peek /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.
Due date is still December, as Robert still has lots to do. Can't wait though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Good to hear you are close to the end.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
Scott, if you email me I can send you a copy of the Qld
Gov vehicle standards intruction policy for Individually
constructed vehicles (ICVs).

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone sent me mail re this but it was deleted by accident.
(anti spam software) Please send again and I will keep an eye out for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back