Roaring Forties #95 - 4.6 quadcam

Very well said peter,
I just hope that someone over there recognizes the seriousness of this issue and starts a national organization where by all manufacturers can get together and have a summit. Once you are organized You won't believe the polititions that will be looking to jump on your boat.
It just takes some enterprizing person to start the ball rolling. I know polititons are the same no matter what country your in.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hersh is correct....politicians/legislators are the same
all over (with a few exceptions).

They have no interest in helping the few...unless the few
are very wealthy (campaign contributions) or very vocal.
Without organizing into some form of political action
committee...individual enthusiasts stand little chance
of affecting change.

In the US, SEMA is playing a large roll in getting
"enthusiast friendly" legislation passed.
Is there an equivalent organization down under?

MikeD

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
In NZ we are very lucky to have the LVVTA This is what everybody needs
http://www.lvvta.org.nz/

I have had my highly modified 5 litre TR7V8 road registered under the auspices of the Constructors Car Club as will be my GT40. http://www.constructorscarclub.org.nz/ Excellent organisations and not particularly expensive. They are keeping the beaurocrats in line. There is definitely the thought that the beaurocrats in Wellington just keep dreaming up stupid regulations in order to justify their jobs!!!

Regards

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Well said Peter, I could not agree more. It seems that Public servants rather than serve, go out of their way to obstruct.I even had one high level person from QLD Transport make the comment to me that in his opinion there were to many kit cars being built, especially Cobras.
With attitudes like that what hope do we have?
Of course in Queensland we have a Government that will take up two lanes of a freeway for buses that no one rides in while the rest of the freeway is gridlocked. Maybe we should all start riding bicycles and hugging trees.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
To give you all an idea of what this all costs, we have just been quoted for AU $ 15,000 for one test at Ford and we have done at least 10 tests at Toyota.

All this investment means that we can continue to sell our cars in both kit form and turn key.

Best wishes,

Robert

Having read this thread, and without getting into who is right or wrong, are these sorts of delays typical with GT40 kits cars? I am a newbie, considering getting a roller minus, and one thing holding me back are potential delay is say getting replacement parts, which would keep the car off the road for long periods of time.

By the way, I am impressed with the level of knowledge on this forum, and have been enjoying the posts.

Michael

Michael. If you give us an idea where you are eg country. I trust there are many members who can offer advice. Regards

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Tim - Firstly my apologies for hijacking your thread. I guess that this topic is close to your heart, so I hope you don't mind if I press on !

Hersh, Mike & Pete - thanks guys. You are right, we do need a common voice to be able to deal with these "people". That might be possible from our perspective, but dealing with the self-serving politicians & bureaucrats from seven different States will be the challenge. We have inherited a weird setup whereby Oz is really just a loose agglomeration of 7 separate sovereign States - the politicians & bureacrats of each one wanting to preserve their "independent" status (for obvious reasons). Rumour has it that Oz has more politicians per head of population than any other country on earth - we also have more "standard rail gauges" than any other country - some 33 to date ! (So you see the dimensions of the problems we face).

Russ - EUREKA !!! The LVVTA just what is needed over here.
That puts paid to any silly ideas of NZ becoming just another State of Oz - it should be the other way around. If we could get that sort of common-sense from the politicians/bureaucrats, we would be happy to just be that little bit of NZ on the left !!

Robert - I assume that you are going for "Low Volume Vehicle Compliance" (LVVC) so that all RF cars will get automatic approval, regardless of the actual "assembler" (providing they are all built identically). This has got to be a way better alternative to the existing ICV (Individually Constructed Vehicle) "rules" where everyone is pretty-much on their own. As you mention, the cost of full emissions testing is ridiculous in terms of our small community of interest (but trivial for the likes of Ford/Holden, etc). So ... back to my original point about emissions - are they really that relevant in the scheme of things for small manufacturers/home builders, etc ? Why not some exemptions (or at least leniency) in this area ? The only way we'll get any of this is to band together & approach the National regulators who write the ADR's - if they could issue CLEAR rules for "LVV's", then the State minions would have to fall in line. The way I see it is that the major car clubs (eg Cobra Club, etc) & the ICV manufacturers would provide the obvious foundation for such a movement (much like in NZ).

Michael - don't be put off by all my Oz-related ranting & raving, or by current stories of delays, etc. Its simple : just do it ! The on-going buzz you will get from driving the car will be worth any amount of frustration & delay - trust me !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
If we could get that sort of common-sense from the politicians/bureaucrats, we would be happy to just be that little bit of NZ on the left !!

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter,
I think it's too late for you Ozzies! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Why not leave your big island to the polititions and beaurocrats and move your families and 40s to this side of the ditch?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I think, but I have no concrete data, that there must be at least forty GT40's in NZ. I believe GT40NZ in it's various ownerships built about thirty cars the majority of which I believe were sold locally, there are also RFs, DRBs, Tornados, GTDs, CCDs, scratchbuilts and probably some others that I am unaware of. For a total population of 4 million people I would think that would have to be almost the highest per capita level in the world. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Unfortunately , there are no originals here though. Unfortunately also I am only aware of a handful of replicas that have been completed. So why not come over here and enjoy the benefits. We just love aussies!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regards

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Al,

I saw that when you first posted it. I think it's a good idea, just haven't got around to entering my details yet! I think forty Forties in NZ would be a realistic estimate. A couple of weeks ago I came across TWO that I didn't know about in Timaru a sleepy little town of 27,000 a hundred miles south of here. They seem to be everywhere!! A lot of languishing projects like Marks unfortunately. Here in Christchurch (pop 400,000) there are at least four that I know of either under construction or on order and someone told me they saw an aluminium bodied one being certified only last week but I am sceptical about that one even though they say it was definitely a GT40. NZ really is a country full of petrolheads! And GT40's it would seem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Regards,

[ QUOTE ]
Michael. If you give us an idea where you are eg country. I trust there are many members who can offer advice. Regards

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in the U.S., Los Angeles area to be exact.

Best wishes,

Michael

Great news! Rob at Roaring Forties has just rung me to tell me that my car is going to Allan Knight, painter extrordinaire at the end next week. I guess he will be finishing Bill's car first. Allan expects to have it sprayed prior to carving his Christmas dinner, and will finish the job whlie his Pudding is cooling off.
Trimming is booked in for first week back next year, then it's MINE. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
YYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Luckily i thrive under pressure Tim,and compliments like that will get you a long way,but seriously i will be pulling out all stops to have youR car completed ASAP. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Allan, i am very aware of the commitment you have made to get my car done. All i can say is a great big THANKS. I run my own business also, and this time of year sucks doesn't it! Impatient customers (LIKE ME /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) have to have it "by Christmas". We are up to our ears in it right now too. So, again, thanks for your efforts. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the GT40 looks in bright pink, with purple stripes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Bewdy Tim, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif, what a great Christmas present.
BTW better to have impatient customers than no customers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Tim

That is good news about Allan doing your paint job. You won't be disappointed. Of course Al has to finish my car first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif but that isn't far off now. I was at RF on Monday and the guys there were extremely complimentary of your car, saying that it drives beautifully. Considering these guys drive their cars all the time, for your 4.6 to stand out in their minds means you have one hell of a car!
Hope to see you on the ROAD soon.

Bill.

Back