Rolling Dolly For Build

I will be retrieving my chassis this weekend while the painter shoots color. I plan on disassembling the chassis, painting it, and then rebuilding it complete less the body.

I am building a rotisserie in order to paint the chassis. That's covered.

But while I'm building it up in the garage, I would like to be able to place it lower to work on and be able to move it around. Would using 4 Harbor Freight dollies with 4 plastic milk crates work? I really don't want to build something that won't be needed after 4 weeks.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Bill D

Last edited:
Bill,

I have and still use two moving dolly's from home depot (20 bucks a piece and you can use them move furniture when you are done). They work good to move the car around the garage. I have the frame sitting on the dolly in the front and rear (car sits at 5" off the ground), but I have had 4 4x4's to jack up the car 4 more inches.

Thanks Richard. I would like to have the frame 20" off the ground to work on. My knees are getting bad and having to squat won't help them.

Bill,
I built a jack stand out of leftover decking material. 2x4, 6x6, and some leftover plywood. I did a search for "jack stand" and found the thread on stands were I outlined the construction and mounting of the car on it. There are some ideas on rotisseries on that thread as well. Here it is from that post.

If all you need is a simple stand to get the car off the ground, you don't have to spend a lot of money and time. I used scrap pieces from a deck I expanded years ago. It's made from 2x4s, 6x6s, and plywood. Throw in a coupe of carrige bolts and deck screws and you have a stand. The 2x4s are notched into the 6x6 and along with the plywood give it all the stability you need. The 6x6s are 25" tall which puts the sils at 35-36" which is just under elbow height for me(I'm 5'-9"). If I need to get into the car, a step stool is the perfect height.
1671073stand2.jpg

1671072stand1.jpg

To move it around, the two rear horizntal pieces are at a height that a hand truck will slide under it, and when lowered to the ground it lifts the rear about an inch. Then I can move it just about anywhere in the garage by myself. Loading the car on the frame the first time was quite easy. Build the frame less the front legs and wheels. Use the engine hoist to lift the rear of the car as it is the heaviest part. Slip the frame rails and rear post under the car to a level that the body of the car is centered on the long rails. I used plastic ties to hold the frame rails to the pan. Move the engine hoist to the front and lift the front. Secure the frontlegs and you are done. In putting the complete engine and trans in place for welding the supporting brackets, I have pushed and pulled them to get them in the exact place I wanted. The intake and heads have to be on to get every inch possible.The frame doesnot move at all. There is no distributor on my engine, so I am able to move a little further forward. The throtle position sensor and valve covers are a few mm. away from the frame rail.

The pictures are lost so I went to the basement and took some pics of the stand. Look at it closely to see the notched pieces. Ron built one out of 2x4 and used it for several years. Mine was used for almost 5. Just be sure to angle brace it for when you push and pull it. I was even able to use the engine hoist to lift the car up on its side(45 deree angle) for some of the bottom welding. The frame and the spider are light enough to lift the front end or rear end by hand.
When I first mounted the car to the frame, it had the engine, trans and suspension and tires on it. so its plenty strong.

Attachments

• Web P1010065.jpg
    Web P1010065.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 373
  • Web P1010066.jpg
    Web P1010066.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 362
  • Web P1010067.jpg
    Web P1010067.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 354
  • Web P1010068.jpg
    Web P1010068.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 368
Bill, I built a rottiserie out of two heavy duty engine stands, just removed the bars that usually bolt to the back of a block and weld up a simple piece of steel box section with some mounting points to bolt onto existing holes in your chassis, then providing you can get clearance with the help of a friend or two you can rotate the chassis as you work / paint it . . .i had a full bodied car hanging off mine, you just need to watch the balance as you rotate it

Back