Sabre #???

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Thanks, Mark!

Some may notice that the backup lights look pretty stout. They are, and my reasoning was that, with the poor reward visibility, one can use all the light one can get to avoid backing into something in the dark :)

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
A couple of quick updates:

The registration process is well underway. I have been assigned the North Carolina equivalent of a VIN number. An official placard was attached in the door frame yesterday. I had already attached the FAV plates that Ben supplied which I had stamped with my NCS number. The next step is to get two appraisals from licensed (in NC) automobile dealers. These will be used to establish the value of the vehicle for the DMV's purposes. The main purpose is to establish the amount of the surety bond I will have to post in order to obtain a title, which is 1.5 times the appraised value. Since John Donnelly did not assign, affix and provide a chassis number on the bill of sale and the bill of sale for the engine did not show any ID numbers for the block, the only title I can get is a "bonded title." Once the title is received, the car can be registered and a license plate purchased (and a highway use fee of 3% paid.)

Insurance has been arranged through Hagerty. With an insured value of $70K and a $500 deductible, the policy will cost just a tad over $700/year. This includes comprehensive, liability and uninsured motorist coverage.

I have just completed the installation of two 5 lb. halon bottles. One bottle has two nozzles with one located over each of the wells adjacent to the back ends of the fuel tanks where all of the plumbing ports, fuel filters, tank supply/return/sender selector and fuel pump are located. The other bottle which is mounted under the dash also has two nozzles. The are located on the legs of the dash and are pointed, in criss-cross fashion, at the chest of the occupant on the opposite side of the car (see diagram below.) These four nozzles should provide a fire free exit path at a slight rearward angle from either side of the car. The front bottle is activated by a pull handle located on the console just above the ignition switch. This should make it very difficult to forget to remove the safety pin. The rear bottle is activated by a pull handle located on the firewall just to the left of the drivers ear. As one enters the car, the T-handle is right there and there should be no excuse for not removing the safety pin prior to getting underway.

Regards,
Lynn

Attachments

• 64858-FireSuppressionPatterns.jpg
    64858-FireSuppressionPatterns.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 543

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Lynn,

I like what you you have decribed in you Halon fire system. When you get a chance post some pics. I will be installing one soon and would love to see your system.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Well, the car is officially registered and tagged. The tag seen in my avitar will be my tag in a couple of weeks, once it is created and sent to me. I didn't want to say anything until I knew for sure that I would get that tag.

I took it out for a couple of mile run this morning with no unexpected surprises. I am going to have to do some tweaking on the speedo read out though as it is reading just a tad fast. Based on the cars around me and the piece of interstate that I was on, I'd say I was going 65-70mph while the speedo was saying I was going 100mph. I have printed out the RPM-Speed chart for the G50 to use as a reference until I recalibrate the speedo. I am still getting used to the shifter, but an upgrade of the mechanism is planned in the very near future as Mike and I are working on making it a bit more elegant. It is certainly workable though and I only got 3rd once, momentarily, while trying to go to 5th. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

To finish up the DMV paperwork, I was able to get a couple of dealers who were very accomodating in their appraisal of the car. The appraisal is used only to establish the bond that was required and the amount of highway use tax I had to pay. It did turn out that a fee rate of $15 per $1000 of bond value was a standard rate for a defective title indemnity bond. So once I had purchased the bond and had my title request and a couple of affadavits notorized, it was a pretty straight forward process to get my title in process, get the car registered and get my temporary tag.

Regards,
Lynn

Ron Earp

Admin
Lynn, great news!!!!!!!! I want to see that thing pronto! Sorry I could not be of more help in the last couple of weeks, but with my father in law and heart surgery it has been a busy couple of weeks.

Ron

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Great to hear. On an outside chance, maybe the speedo is correct /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Try taking a hand held GPS in the car with you. Most have a speed readout and are quite accurate.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Thanks guys and thanks Tim for the hint. I was wondering how I could do this and you just reminded me that I have a GPS and Delorme Maps for the laptop and I can check it that way! (Getting the GPS/naviagtion system along with DVD for the kids on long trips was how I justified the laptop to my wife in order to mod my engine managment system, do data logging and wide band lambda controller ;-)

Even though I took a pair of shoes to the grinder and belt sander to remove excess sole around the edges, the shoes were the major factor in the troubles I was having with shifting. I took my left shoe off when my daughter and I went for ice cream this evening and it made all the difference in the world. I was going up and down through the gears with no problem at all since I was able to get a better clutch depression with the shoeless foot.

One other surprise this afternoon. I went to the truck scales near me and the car weighed in at 2535 lb with 1/2 tanks of fuel. I really didn't expect the car to weigh that much even though I am sure the EFI stuff definitely adds weight over a carb setup.

Regards,
Lynn

Ron Earp

Admin
Lynn dropped by my office the other day with his beautiful GT40 and we went out for a quick lunch. The car is very nice and looks quite good! Lynn has been working on this car for awhile and it is very nice to see the results have paid off handsomely!

As I'm sure many of you know, this car uses a stock 5L motor with Ford's EEC-IV engine control, no other GT40 owner that I am aware of has tackled this daunting task of essentially having an OEM engine and controller. It'll run well, very smooth, and drives like a OEM Ford 5L - nice! It is quiet as well, good rumble but you can talk in the cockpit, which doesn't happen on too many 40s.

He has some sorting to do, suspension, etc. as any new car owner has to do, but the car is quite nice. Now, I'm seriously excited to get my own on the road too! Good job Lynn and congratulations, we'll get that thing up at VIR in the Spring!

Ron

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Thanks for the kind words everyone. The dash covering and carpet were done by the shop which did the paint, but the rest was my work.

The discussions elsewhere on the forum about the idiosyncrasies of the long narrow GT40 fuel tanks hit home with a thud while Ron and I were going to lunch. When the tanks get down to ~1/3, the EFI will suffer fuel starvation from time to time; as they get down to ~1/4 the engine would die at idle, but start right back up. Although my tanks have explosafe in them, with EFI, it is quite apparent that a header tank is an absolute necessity: EFI fuel pumps will not tolerate being starved for fuel many times.

The Corvette pads on the front brakes came with shims that are siliconed to the pads in attempt to quieten the brakes. One of these shims had come dislodged and the corner was rubbing on the rotor hat making a very annoying squealing noise. I have since removed both of these shims.

The fore/aft shift cable apparently stretched slightly with use (and I have been driving the car a lot - more on that in a bit) necessitating an adjustment which was quite easy with the Sabre cable anchoring system on the rear of the cables. There was also an excess of carpet around the rear of the shifter which combined with the cable stretch to make going into 2nd and 4th less than consistent.

This past Friday evening at around 6:00PM I took my daughter to her first middle school dance in the GT40. As you can imagine, traffic at that time was insane. Two blocks from the school, she informed me that she had forgotten the ticket at home. So back we went to retriever her admission ticket. Although we tried different routes, the story was the same: rush hour traffic and two cycle delays at most lights. Although not hot, the temperature was in the mid to upper 70s. During this whole time the temperatures, both coolant and oil, were solid as a rock. I am very happy with this aspect of the car!

The speedometer is now calibrated. My initial setting based on instructions from Dakota Digital, which are fine if you are building a hot rod with traditional American parts, but which I found somewhat lacking in my application, resulted in a readout that was ~30mph fast. My second attempt at resetting the adjusting box put me about the same point on the slow side. So, starting a binary search, which should have put me at the proper setting in a max of 4 adjustments, I set the dip switches to the binary number that was midway between the two settings. This turned out to be dead on and my speedo reading matched the numbers obtained in the speed/rpm/gear chart for the G50-01 transaxle and my tire diameter.

The car in now completely legal for the road having passed its safety inspection. While emissions testing is not required, the guy doing the safety test agreed to check the engine with the 3 gas analyzer. CO and CO2 were great, but hydrocarbons were a bit high at idle. I'll be checking several things as culprits for this: fuel pressure, MAF readings and my homemade neutral sensing switch. The computer takes a signal from the clutch being depressed OR the transmission being in neutral to operate in "no load" mode which should provide just enough fuel to keep the engine running. I am sure you can guess which is my main suspect. I should also mention that the car was no where near normal operating temperature since the inspection station is only about 1/2 mile from my house and I had driven there first thing in the morning.

Regards,
Lynn

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
...When the tanks get down to ~1/3, the EFI will suffer fuel starvation from time to time; as they get down to ~1/4 the engine would die at idle....

[/ QUOTE ]

Lynn,

What's the reason for fuel starvation? Do you think the fuel is sloshing away from the pickup at 1\3 tank, and is the fuel lower than the pickup at 1\4 tank? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Update:

The car wil soon be going back in the paint shop to correct one self inflicted wound and one attack by a soccer mom in an Explorer. First, as some of you knew, I was having shifting problems with the car: I could get 1st, 3rd and 5th gears OR I could get 2nd, 4th and Reverse, BUT I couldn't get them all at the same time. I would adjust the linkage then go try it; come back, readjust and go try it, come back, readjust and go try it. (Some of you probably see this coming.) On about the 5th "go try it", as I was pulling off in 1st gear, I hear this thunk. I look in the rear view mirror and nearly loose my lunch because I see the rear clip standing wide open! Thank God nothing broke and, even though it only slid about a foot, there were two gouge marks on either end of the spoiler.

Upside, I did finally find were the mounting tab for the forward cable clamp of the cable that does fore/aft motion had cracked in the bend. Since there were stabilizing rivets in it, it didn't break of completely and was restrained just enough to give me enough throw to either get the gears where the shifter is forward or those when it is back, but not both. The tabs are now steel with 3/16" steel rivets and shifter is working great!

A few week later, I went to pick my daughter up from school and I took the GT40 because she thinks its cool when I picker her up in it. She wasn't out front so I parked about 4 car lengths behind a Ford Explorer with a mother sitting in it. I was reading the instruction manual for my G-Tech when all of a sudden I hear this crunch and my car lurch. I look up and see an SUV parked over the nose of my car! I got out and all I said to the lady was, "WHY DID YOU BACK UP!" There was no apparent reason for her to have moved at all. She said that another lady had walked to her car that was angle parked to our left and she thought she would back up to make it easy for the other woman to backout. As it turned out the other lady was only retrieving some thing from her car and had no intention of going anywere. Luckily the explorer's trailer hitch was just high enough that the balls shank barley caught the paint on the nose, but it did go right through the inner side wall of the driver's side nostril. Fran Hall was good enough to sell me another nose panel and the painters have enough paint left over to fix the the rear face of the rear clip, paint the nostril panel and respray the front clip (I also had a couple of slip marks from before I bought a proper dzus tool.) I think these events contributed to major depressive episode at the end of last year.

Regards,
Lynn

Back