sb100

I'm the proud owner of a new SPF Gulf GT40 Mark-I P/2207. Now I get the joy of starting down the road you've all been down. I have quick one question before I begin reading all the DMV SB100 information.

1. Does it make a difference if I register it as a 1965 or 1966?
2. I plan on installing a Roush 402R with Webers. Will that be a problem?
3. I live in Calabasas, what DMV do you recommend and what time should I be there?
4. Can I start the process without a motor?
5. Can I drive to car with a permit until January 2010?

Thanks for your help.
~ Randy.

Randy,

Read the link posted in the thread. It will answer your questions. But, in brief:

1) The car will be registered as a 2009 SPCN. However, when you go through
the process, declare it is based on a 1965 GT40 body. No smog requirements
for 1965, 1966 had some exhaust emissions controls regulations. The link makes
this clear in more detail.

2) As above, if you go to the SMOG ref and ask to smog as 1965 bodystyle, then
any engine is in play.

3) Not sure about Calabasas area DMVs. Try Cobra Country or FFR websites.

4) Yes, as others have stated.

5) Again, I believe that is permitted. You can get a temp reg to allow you to drive
to the SMOG ref when you need to. Not sure how long it lasts, but others have
said one month with up to a three month extension.

Ian

Some DMV's will only give you one non op permit, and it's only good for 30 days so choose when to get it wisely.

My "statement of origin" from SPF says "1966 replica". I don't think I'll be able to convince DMV it's a 1965.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Randy -

On the 3 SB100's I have done they were all referred to as "00 Special Construction"....I don't think they care about the model year.

I have also had real good luck with getting serial TOP's.....I got three one year.

Randy, You will not get it registered as a 1965 or a 1966. They had a big crackdown a few years ago and were coming down on people that had registered them that way. If it is SB100 then it is registered as a Specialty Construction.

This is from a 2004 posting on the SpyderClub:

The California Attorney Generals Office has been conducting an investigation into the fraudulent registration of replica vehicles (http://www.caag.state.ca.us/newsalerts/2004/04-042.htm ). The initial investigation was limited to Cobra replica vehicles due to known VIN sequences. We are aware that the same fraudulent vehicle registration issues apply to other replica vehicles and hot rods.

To correct a common misunderstanding of California law, it is a felony to do the following:

1. Register a vehicle where the year of vehicle is misrepresented;
2. Register a vehicle where the value of the vehicle is understated; or
3. Register a vehicle where the year of the vehicle is misrepresented to avoid compliance with California smog laws.

Any of the above actions are a felony in violation of Vehicle Code Section 4463(a). Additionally, the above actions constitute the crime of perjury, in that all statement of facts contained in California DMV documents are taken under penalty of perjury.

If you are a California resident and have done any of the above in registering your replica vehicle or hot rod you may wish to contact an attorney. I would also encourage you to take proactive steps to correct the problem by legally re-registering your vehicle.

If you have further questions you may contact me at (916) 445-9330.

Robert Morgester
Deputy Attorney General
Special Crimes Unit
State of California Department of Justice
(916) 445-9330

My "statement of origin" from SPF says "1966 replica". I don't think I'll be able to convince DMV it's a 1965.
I wouldn't worry about the '66 smog requirements. At the very most, it will require a PCV and closed crankcase ventilation, i.e. no open breathers. Once the car has been through the smog ref station, it's the last time you will ever need to visit them. No biannual checks or anything.

Okay, it gets registered as a "Special Construction".

Do I need to install both L and R outside mirrors as well as an inside mirror?

Okay, it gets registered as a "Special Construction".

Do I need to install both L and R outside mirrors as well as an inside mirror?
Per Cal Vehicle Code, you must have two mirrors. Of the two, one must be located on the drivers side of the car. This means either two outside mirrors or one on the drivers side, and one interior mirror. John

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I just got off the phone with the CA dmv, and as of today, they still have several SB100 numbers left!

This is unusual, as they usually go early on Jan 2nd!

grab one Randy!

On the mirror issue, I didn't have mirrors on my Spyder for some 15 years...got it SB100 and DMV'd and CHP'd and BAR'd. Not much risk to it - probably a fixit ticket at most....but what do I know!

WHAT!!! I called DMV a few days ago and the lady I talked to said all the numbers where gone! Who did you talk to? What's there phone number?

Howard Jones

Supporter
I fact this year was a slow year for SB100's. On SB100 day there were about 300 used up I believe. As of about 2 weeks ago there were about 30 or so left, and as of now I believe they are all gone.

When I did mine I was 454 on the opening day, 2004 I think. I was there at 4AM and 1st in line.This is a DMV location that always has a several applicants each year. There were 15 there in line when the DMV opened that day. Last one went at 11AM.

When dealing with SB100's do everything in person and verify all information with at least two sources. NEVER believe anything that anyone at the DMV says without checking out the information with other sources until you are sure you KNOW what the real deal is. This is a once a year thing for them and most of the DMV employees don't really know all of the complete details. You need to establish who at your local DMV knows about this and talk to no one else once you establish that they know what they are talking about.

One of the SF Bay Area DMVs even put on a SB100 review night the last week in December so that people could bring in their paperwork and make sure they were ready.

The local DMV here stopped dealers from going more that one at a time once their got up to the window during their turn. This is a good thing and I hope all the DMV's do this in the future.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what year the car is - and there are NO smog equipment requirements - none.

That isn't true. If you declare you are going after the body style of a 1970 vehicle,
you will have to have the typical equipment necessary for a 1970 vehicle. That is
why everyone says to declare it based upon a 1965 body style, where there are
no smog requirements. Here is part of Senator Johannessen's press release regarding
SB100 when it was put through CA Senate:

"SB100 requires a passenger vehicle or pickup truck that is specially constructed to be
inspected by service stations authorized to perform such functions. An emission inspection
will be based upon the engine model-year or model-year used in the vehicle. The owner will
also have the option of choosing whether the inspection is based on the engine or vehicle
model-year."

And, from the bill itself:

"This inspection shall be for the purposes of
determining the engine model-year used in the vehicle or the vehicle
model-year, and the emission control system application. The owner
shall have the option to choose whether the inspection is based on
the engine model-year used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year."

"(2) In determining the vehicle model-year, the referee shall
compare the vehicle to vehicles of the era that the vehicle most
closely resembles. The referee shall assign the 1960 model-year to
any specially constructed vehicle that does not sufficiently resemble
a previously manufactured vehicle. The referee shall require only
those emission control systems that are applicable to the established
model-year and that the vehicle reasonably accommodates in its
present form."

As you can see, if you choose something newer than 1965, or the
body obviously replicates something newer than 1965, you must
meet the smog requirements for whatever year chosen/represented
initially. If not, you will fail the initial test. Only after "passing" the
initial test will the vehicle become exempt. Same goes if you smog
based upon engine year, but there are more stringent rules if you
go that route.

Here's a link to the bill:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/01-02/bill/sen/sb_0051-0100/sb_100_bill_20011014_chaptered.html

Ian

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the '66 smog requirements. At the very most, it will require a PCV and closed crankcase ventilation, i.e. no open breathers. Once the car has been through the smog ref station, it's the last time you will ever need to visit them. No biannual checks or anything.

Actually, that's all that's required for 1965.

For 1966 and newer, the stock air cleaner, carb, and distributor are required per
1966 smog rules. No aftermarket parts, although ones approved by CARB are
OK. However, this means no fancy aftermarket EFI since EFI did not exist in
1966. Also, you'll probably need a standard mechanical advance dizzy, no fancy
MSD dizzy and no direct ignition. Again, these did not exist in 1966 in CA.

Ian

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Actually it is true, Ian, but perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could have been -

I would think you would have to be a complete moron to declare that you are going after a vehicle model year that requires any kind of smog controls!

On the 3 cars that I have put through the SB100 process none have had any emission control equipment on them whatsoever....of course I always chose the vehicle model year inspection - after that choice, the Smog Referees didn't even bother to ask me what model year car I was basing my car on.

Actually it is true, Ian, but perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could have been -

I would think you would have to be a complete moron to declare that you are going after a vehicle model year that requires any kind of smog controls!

On the 3 cars that I have put through the SB100 process none have had any emission control equipment on them whatsoever....of course I always chose the vehicle model year inspection - after that choice, the Smog Referees didn't even bother to ask me what model year car I was basing my car on.

The problem is if Randy declares 1965 body type, but has paperwork that specifically
says 1966 body type, then there is some risk as to what will happen. Better get
paperwork to state it is 1965 body type. CYA and all.

People have been saying that 1966 body type is fine - but there are certain smog
requirements for 1966. And, should you go by engine, even more issues to contend
with.

Ian

Back