sb100

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
True - but the issue of what year I was trying to replicate never once came up....I just had to make the body style/engine choice.

What year does it say on non-SPF manufacturer of origin certificates?

I'm installing a Roush 402R with open Webers and the SPF supplied exhaust system (1075 clone). Does anyone see a problem passing with this set-up? Is there something I will need to add on... like air cleaners?

So it's official, all SB100 certificates are gone? Rats. I had all my paperwork ready too. To get a permit, do I just bring in the DMV forms, my receipts and a checkbook? Is there a special number I call to set-up a SB100 appointment or do I have to wait until January 4, 2010?

If all the numbers are issued for 2009, you will have to wait until the first business day of 2010 for a 2010 SPCNS number. Be sure and bring all the DMV forms and your check book. If the car is drivable when you get the sequence number, ask for a 30 day Temp Operating Permit so you can complete registration process process. If it's not drivable, don't accept a TOP, Some DMV's wil only give you one 30 day TOP. If your build is going to take more than a year to complete, for your second year, you can register it as non op, and get a break on the registration fees. This only applies after the initial registration has been started. I talked to a CHP officer about this, and he said it was perfectly legal.

I have a booklet somewhere that explains the whole SPCNS process. It was culled from info available on the 'net and if I can find it, I'll post it here. John

Howard Jones

Supporter
For us GT40 guys. The reason you want to choose the model (body)year is that you can choose 1965 and be completely legal. In 1965 there were no smog requirements. Therefore the car must not meet any smog requirements BASED ON BODY YEAR.

This is why you don't really want to choose engine year even if you have a 1965 engine. Thereafter ALL engines installed the car associated with the specially constructed number assigned to your car must be of the same type SBF etc. AND BE OF THAT SAME MODEL YEAR!

As you can see if you have a body year attached to the car you can install anything in it from now on and still be legal.

That is the goal. Remain completely legal and be able to choose the engine type and how it is configured.

So I believe that the above mentioned 1966 GT40 can in fact be declared a 1965 body year because that body style was in fact manufactured in 1965. This is how I would proceed. When you do go to a BAR ref. (this is where you declare the body or engine year) try to find a location that has seen GT40's before and done SB100's on them. The question may not even come up. The guy will hopefully simply do yours like he did the others. If the question arises tell him they made the GT40 from 1964 - 1967 and you choose 1965. It is after all a replica not a real car manufactured in 1966.

One last thing, all of the temp permits I have gotten were 90 day permits. I did drive my car for nearly an entire year while I waited for January to come around. When the 90 days was up I went back and explained that I was having this or the other issue and hadn't completed the car yet. They can and will isue you another if you are nice and explain your problem to them. If you get a no from someone come back again, get a different DMV person or go to another location and try again. In fact you can get more that one if you are having reasonable delays in getting the car completed and therefor going to the CHP, Brake and Light, etc. I had several issues that delayed my getting the car to be road worthy such as needing to get a clutch part that need to be shipped from England. You get the idea.

I start every convesation at the DMV with "I need help with my hot rod, this is my first car project, would you please help me" Dress nice, look like clean cut taxpayer, and be nice and you will get what you need.

So, how do I get a permit?

I have all the forms and receipts ready. I called the DMV and no one knows anything about the "special construction" or the SB100. Is there a special phone number?

When I did SB100 many years ago - I took the printout of the DMV website pages explaining SB100 to the local DMV and showed it to them - they had to call Sacramento several times during the process to make sure they were doing it correctly. With only 500 per year, you are lucky if you can find a DMV clerk who has done one. Searching the DMV website spells it out...note the last sentence - start the process at the DMV local office.

Registration Requirements for Home-Made, Specially Constructed, or Kit Vehicles

In my experience, you have to learn the process witht he Clerk. Printing that page out explains the steps. With that, the help of their Supervisor and Sacramento the process gets done.

Mike

This is not that hard, The CHP needs to verify the Vin,the CHP accepted my SPF chassis number as the vin.T
The BAR referee station needs to look at your car (they don't test anymore), on my car I selected 1966 as the year and they required a closed PVC system, as I already had a PVC it was easy to hook up a hose from the valve cover to one of my aircleaners and it was signed off.
The BAR guy was very easy to work with.
The last thing I need is a Brake and Lamp cert and I will get that this week.
As of last month there were Certificates left over.
You do need to get the packet from the DMV and work with a knowledgeable person there.
You will need the Certificate of Origin for the car and receipts for the major components, ie Engine and Trans.
Dave

Back