Seriously how hard to build?

Other than time and tools, how hard is it to build one of these kits? I have the time, and most tools. I am mechanically inclined, have built engines, suspensions, and rear ends. I suck at wiring though. I have built a '67 Mustang from the ground up, and did most of the work on my '34 Ford 3 window coupe. Is this something I could do?

Thanks,
Jim

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Jim

How do you feel about running brake lines and then knowing your work must hold to stop the very fast car?

Actually other than that with time patience and inclination anything is possible. Also there are many people who will lend a Hand. (OK Paul lent a big hand on mine!)

Ian

In a word, yes. Since you don't like to do wiring, I suggest you go with a simple carb setup rather than EFI, or do like I do and get some help. There are a lot of folks willing to help, here and in your area. Also, prepare yourself for a lot of tedious body work and prep if you want to paint the car yourself. I signed up for a paint class that PPG put on and I now have the confidence to prep and spray my car.

Go for it!

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Mark,

You know if PPG is doing something like that again in the future?

Yes Jim, you can do it. If you've done a 67 ground up you'll be fine. Might have to learn some new skills on glass etc. but you'll be good to go!

Ron

Jim

So long as you start with a " good " kit...IMHO the GT40 isn't much
more difficult than building a street rod, WITH the notable exception
of body panel mounting/alignment. That can be a true horror story
if you don't have good parts and some bodywork experience.
I cannot emphasize enough how much time/pain is saved having
that portion done before you take possession.

MikeD

Hi Ron,

Check out the PPG page which I also linked from my definitive PPG Deltron paint thread (click on the "training" tab):

http://www.ppg.com/cr-refinish/phase1/frmTraining.asp

Other manufacturers such as Dupont offer similar courses. We went with PPG vecause their training center was somewhat local (Hartford, CT). The class I organized/attended was customized for DIYers, fiberglass-bodied kit car builders in particular. Their normal entry-level training courses are geared for body shop monkeys but they would still be of value, IMO.

Jim

I have had a few people enter my shop and ask the same question.
If you want to tackle the sheet work.
Cardboard patterns.
A folder and guilo of some discription are a must.

I did mine with a lever type shere on a stand with and table top to support the sheet at blade hight.
It did a great job.
If you need a few things you buy them it is worth it and it will show in the finished product.

You sound experianced enough to me.
The forums there for advice.

Oh yes there was something else.
If you have a partner take a good look at them because when you go into that shed you wont be coming out for a while.

Jim

Jim,
There are a lot of variables when you undertake one of these cars to build. It isn't like a frame off restoration and its not a tab A into slot B kind of thing either. You will constantly come up against things that can't be anticipated. If you are decent enough mechanicaly you should do allright. Having someone to help really comes in handy. I have had to do mine all on my own. I always wanted to do this ever since I was a teenager. Never had done more than a engine rebuild. So It can be done(see DRB#5). Mine has taken me a lot longer than I anticipated due to life's little inconviences. I had to fabricate a ot of stuff that ordinarily isn't required for one of these builds. But then I wanted certain things that mine didn't come with. I am pretty handy with implementing things that are needed and not available, or I am too cheap to go out and buy. Especially if I can make it, or get the job done with what I have. So don't get discourgaged. Like I said, and others have said, If you want it you can do it. It just takes time and money. If you have more of one than the other, you can do it.
Some of the "kits" need little work as they come pretty much complete. Others require some fabrication skills along with outside of the box thinking. Just be realistic in what you can do. Pay for the rest unless you like doing that job over and over til its right.
You will find there is a wealth of information and ideas here on the forum. Just ask. More than one way to skin a cat as they say. I had no idea of the chalenges this project would present. Molding a dash around a roll cage, bending stainless in ways you would think you needed a foundry. But I did it with ordinary tools and materials easily found around any shop that works with metal. If you change any of the panels, you will have to make templates and transfer to blank sheets, cut and shape, then attach. May require more than ordinary tools. Big clamps, clecos, tig welder, plasma cutter, brake/shear, etc. etc.. Most of these can be purchased on ebay and resold years later when you are finished(if that really happens).
Just know it takes time. Just know your partner will need time too, and it will all work out sooner or later.

Bill

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Jim C hit the nail on the head :

A partner who would rather know that you are in the garage, rather than suspect you are at the pub !!!!

Given your experience, you will not have any show-stoppers on the mechanical side of things (apart from the registration fun) !

You will also hear a lot of scary stories about f/glass work - but, its not that hard at all, it just takes perseverence. The better you get at it, the more you will want "perfection" on alignment & gaps - its just a matter of where you draw the line & say "that's it" !

The best advice that I can offer is to first check out any owners/builders in your local area/state & see what the registration issues will be.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Jim,

Honestly, it sounds like you and I are similarly situated. I too have torn into a 67 Fastback, hate to do wiring stuff, am fairly mechanically inclined and willing to try anything. Overall though, I really like playing with fun cars and miss having something cool around. Hence, I have RCR40-31 heading my way in Dec.

If you've played with cars, aren't afraid to ask questions here, like to get dirty, and have (it seems) enormous quantities of patience, I am convinced you can get through it. This forum is incredibly supportive and I'm not too proud to say I don't know something. Someone usually has a way to help someone else out, it's really impressive.

I'll be starting a build thread soon, but not til my car arrives in Dec. You can watch me struggle or triumph depending on the battle, but I'm in the game and I know I'll eventually win it. And after all, that's what playing the game is all about.

My only hangup was figuring out I really wanted to commit to it. After that, it was easy. And in the end, it's only money anyway right?

Cheers,
Chris

I have about the same level of experience as you. I restored a '64 1/2 Mustang convertible, a '56 T'Bird, and built a Cobra replica prior to taking on the GT40. I would not recommend a GT40 to someone new to the car hobby because of cost and complexity, but you should have the ability to do one.

Depends what you are building........my CAV was not at difficult with the manual, some pics and communications.

The CAV is more assembly than manufacture, so I would recommend this component form to most anyone. You would breeze through it

Steve

Howard Jones

Supporter
Jim, The first thing to do is put your location in your profile. Country, State and city are fine. The helps the rest of us help you. My GTD was my first car of any kind. Came out OK. Just took some time. If you are the kind of person who FINISHES things then you will be OK. Have you had the same hobbies for several years or do you tend to get Bord with and want a new challenge every couple of years.

Hi Jim, If your going to build a 40 in the USA your probably ok. If your new to building cars your will need support and backup from the manufacturer. Although I dont know people like RCR they look like a really good company, if the others are as good your OK.
Here In the UK I think it will still be a bit of a struggle although things are getting better as the manufacturers slowly grow.
The old days when GTD were strong was when I built my Ist car, parts were available of the shelf and delivery times were good. If there not the build will be stretched out longer and bordem may set in. My new build of the GTD now is taking much longer as I'm making most of the parts myself.I'm fortunate to have many workshop tools as I've been tinkering for nearly 40 years.
This is my 7th build now plus many refurbs.
If your even half an engineer you should be fine HEY what have you got to lose only money ' YOUR A LONG TIME DEAD MATE '
Best of luck

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
[quote - You will also hear a lot of scary stories about f/glass work - but, its not that hard at all, it just takes perseverance. The better you get at it, the more you will want "perfection" on alignment & gaps - its just a matter of where you draw the line & say "that's it" !
Kind Regards,
Peter D.[/quote]

Ditto Peter D. Thirty years ago when I was working my way through college on the back of a couple of Corvettes, I found fiberglass work much simpler than I thought it was going to be. It was a piece of cake compared to my brother's steel body Mustang. It seems from reading the forum, the guys who really know their stuff consistently indicate time is the biggest hurdle.

Back